Portuguese Schooner FI

Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Portuguese Schooner FI

Post by milku3459 »

This strategy is definitely not original. I saw it on one of Interjection's streams; he said he got it from Boneng. I haven't been able to find it on the forums, so here it is.

Aim: To boom to the max, laming the Portuguese defences to get to Age IV before massing uber-dragoons and heavy cannons to win.
Age I:
Age up with 14 villagers and 400 wood. Send schooners as first card.
Transition:
Transfer most villagers to wood; leave just enough for all dead animals to be gathered from. Build a dock and queue up a fishing boat.
Age II:
Build 4 houses with your age up wood and ship 700 wood. Place your 2nd TC defensively, preferably by the water to protect your fishing fleet early on. Build another dock. When the 700 wood arrives, build another dock. Shift half of your wood villagers to gold. Keep making villagers and fishing boats from your two TCs and 3 docks. Your economy will be growing 5 times faster than most of your enemies’ economies. Build a market and buy the wood and gold upgrades. Buy all the fishing upgrades. Build TPs if you have extra wood.
For your next card, decide if you want to send 700 gold (for age up) or Colonial Militia (for defence). If you get rushed, go for the defensive route. This will only delay your age up slightly because you have enough villagers to gather the rest of the resources needed to age without crates.
Age with the 400 wood and caravel.
Transition:
Keep your fishing boats on food and villagers on gold—you should be able to click up to IV on collected resources almost immediately upon reaching Fortress. Build two stables.
Age III:
Ship 1000 gold and get to Age IV with the 1000 gold politician. You can age up without shipping 1000 gold, but ship it anyway to fund your Jinete spam.
Transition:
You need to have 1000+ wood by Age IV. Other than that, keep villagers and boats collecting normally. Stop producing boats at this point—fishes will have run out. Be sure to have LOTS of population space available.
Age IV:
Go time. Research the Jinete upgrade for dragoons at the stable. Queue up lots of goons. Ship 2 heavy cannons. Begin wrecking his forces with your cannons and crazy dragoons. Ship factories as your next two cards. Keep pushing and raiding with the dragoons. You do not want the enemy to somehow get to Industrial. Force him to keep spending resources on units.
Research Mass Production at your factories and set them to heavy cannons mode. By now, you will have never-ending waves of Royal Guard dragoons and heavy cannons backed up by a monster economy in a heavily defended base. At this point, you will often have a 100 point lead over your opponent.
If you need more population space and you are winning fights hard, delete some of your fishing boats. They have served their purpose. Train villagers instead as a land economy beats a sea economy at this point in the game.
Strategy source
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZs4sx6io4E
2 . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TecBmwo_cLs

Is it viable for TAD (or do people do it a lot)? I do it on Vanilla and it is SO funny no one has any idea what to do vs this kind of boom. There was a Russ player who didn't touch me whole game and tried to outboom me and a captain who didn't push into my boom...very funny strat. Any suggestions pro players?
Italy DaRkNiTe1698
Lancer
ESO: Marco1698

Re: Portuguese Schooner FI

Post by DaRkNiTe1698 »

You may consider wall , to compensate the lacking of early units, I guess
Singapore milku3459
Howdah

Post by milku3459 »

Yessss I love wall laming in Vanilla people don't use them enough. I've only seen one person who knows how to do pillarless walls haha. Walls are really useful for Ports
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I feel like this has no chance of working
France Diarouga
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: diarouga

Post by Diarouga »

milku3459 wrote:This strategy is definitely not original. I saw it on one of Interjection's streams; he said he got it from Boneng. I haven't been able to find it on the forums, so here it is.

Aim: To boom to the max, laming the Portuguese defences to get to Age IV before massing uber-dragoons and heavy cannons to win.
Age I:
Age up with 14 villagers with 13 if you can and 400 wood. Send schooners as first card.
Transition:
Transfer most villagers to wood; leave just enough for all dead animals to be gathered from. Build a dock and queue up a fishing boat.
Age II:
Build 4 houses well just one xD. Build the others from the 700w with your age up wood and ship 700 wood. Place your 2nd TC defensively, preferably by the water to protect your fishing fleet early on. Build another dock. When the 700 wood arrives, build another dock. Shift half of your wood villagers to gold. Keep making villagers and fishing boats from your two TCs and 3 docks. at least 3 docks, 4 is the std Your economy will be growing 5 times faster than most of your enemies’ economies. Build a market and buy the wood and gold upgrades. Buy all the fishing upgrades. Build TPs if you have extra wood.
For your next card, decide if you want to send 700 gold (for age up) I don't like the 700w/700g ff, imo 700w/age 2 fishing upgrade/700g is better or Colonial Militia (for defence). If you get rushed, go for the defensive route. This will only delay your age up slightly because you have enough villagers to gather the rest of the resources needed to age without crates.
Age with the 400 wood and caravel. No, never. Age with the exiled prince.
Transition:
Keep your fishing boats on food and villagers on gold—you should be able to click up to IV on collected resources almost immediately upon reaching Fortress. Build two stables. one arsenal/stable
Age III:
Ship 1000 gold Same, never, either the fort or the freagate most of the time, if you want to boom then fish upgrades and get to Age IV with the 1000 gold politician. You can age up without shipping 1000 gold, but ship it anyway to fund your Jinete spam.
Transition:
You need to have 1000+ wood by Age IV. Other than that, keep villagers and boats collecting normally. Stop producing boats at this point—fishes will have run out. Be sure to have LOTS of population space available.
Age IV:
Go time. Research the Jinete upgrade for dragoons at the stable. Monitors first, and the arsenal upgrade is more important than jinete, only research jinete when you have 25-30 goons.Queue up lots of goons. Ship 2 heavy cannons. Begin wrecking his forces with your cannons and crazy dragoons. Ship factories as your next two cards. Keep pushing and raiding with the dragoons. You do not want the enemy to somehow get to Industrial. Force him to keep spending resources on units.
Research Mass Production at your factories and set them to heavy cannons mode. By now, you will have never-ending waves of Royal Guard dragoons and heavy cannons backed up by a monster economy in a heavily defended base. At this point, you will often have a 100 point lead over your opponent.
If you need more population space and you are winning fights hard, delete some of your fishing boats. They have served their purpose. Train villagers instead as a land economy beats a sea economy at this point in the game.
Strategy source
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZs4sx6io4E
2 . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TecBmwo_cLs

Is it viable for TAD (or do people do it a lot)? I do it on Vanilla and it is SO funny no one has any idea what to do vs this kind of boom. There was a Russ player who didn't touch me whole game and tried to outboom me and a captain who didn't push into my boom...very funny strat. Any suggestions pro players?
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Schooners op
:nwc:
United States of America CurassierAndCurassier
Retired Contributor
ESO: Montcalm17

Post by CurassierAndCurassier »

This is a totally feasible strategy in TAD and it's my go to on water maps. Make sure you send Colonial Militia. Can often mean the difference between holding off early aggression and getting steamrolled.

Bonneng, afaik, did invent it or at least make it viable. I remember an early Interjection video he talked about how strange Bonneng's Portugal is but now I've seen many many people use it consistently
France Diarouga
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Diarouga »

CurassierAndCurassier wrote:This is a totally feasible strategy in TAD and it's my go to on water maps. Make sure you send Colonial Militia. Can often mean the difference between holding off early aggression and getting steamrolled.

Bonneng, afaik, did invent it or at least make it viable. I remember an early Interjection video he talked about how strange Bonneng's Portugal is but now I've seen many many people use it consistently

It's not boneng's strat tbh. I think some guys first did that in 2006-2007 :P
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

you were 9 back then
France Diarouga
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Diarouga »

pecelot wrote:you were 9 back then

Yep.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Weird you remember that... :uglylol:
France Diarouga
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Diarouga »

pecelot wrote:Weird you remember that... :uglylol:

I watched some recorded games lol, I didn't even knew about aoe when I was 9 :P.
I remember some tourney recs on sag where Ourk went portugese on sag and raped everybody, if you really care I can try to find them for you ^_^
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

*sarcasm not detected*
I'm just amazed by your determination to finding old games... I was 9 back then, too!
France Diarouga
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Diarouga »

pecelot wrote:I'm just amazed by your determination to finding old games... I was 9 back then, too!

Well, now I don't watch recs anymore, but back when I was captain, I used to watch a lot of games, I think I watched like 200 games from the jp community, and even more from french forums (and well, most of them died before 2010, no need to say the games are pretty old^^).
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

Diarouga wrote:
pecelot wrote:Weird you remember that... :uglylol:

I watched some recorded games lol, I didn't even knew about aoe when I was 9 :P.
I remember some tourney recs on sag where Ourk went portugese on sag and raped everybody, if you really care I can try to find them for you ^_^

I was 5 then, I didnt know bout aoe3 but I was obsessed with aom.

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
Singapore milku3459
Howdah

Post by milku3459 »

@Diarouga
Why is the arsenal upgrade more important than Jinete? It's LOS, DMG and Range right--is it better than RG upgrade or is it more cost effective?
Normally fish begin to run out by the time I get to Age IV, why do you want me to send fish upgrades?
No Flag purplesquid
Dragoon
Donator 03

Post by purplesquid »

milku3459 wrote:@Diarouga
Why is the arsenal upgrade more important than Jinete? It's LOS, DMG and Range right--is it better than RG upgrade or is it more cost effective?
Normally fish begin to run out by the time I get to Age IV, why do you want me to send fish upgrades?

Its basically as good (people can argue exactly which one is better but its close) but waaay more cost effective.

Arsenal+upgrade like 600 wood and 200 food vs RG at 1000 wood and 1000 gold
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Yeah if you get arsenal you will have roughly 9-10 more goons than if you did Jinite. So I'd rather have 20 vet goons with more range and 10% attack rather than 10 jinites with just 18 (12?) range. But yeah like Diarouga said, once you have about 25-30, it starts to even out.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

yeah, exactly 550 wood for an arsenal and caracole and 18 range for genitours without the mentioned upgrade :chinese:
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger
ESO: ModernDayWarri0r

Post by sirmusket »

@breeze what is this stoopid build?
France Kynesie
ESOC Pro Team
ESO: kynesie

Post by Kynesie »

About fish ugrades, you have to get 30% and 35% in your deck, not really for limited fish, but for infinite whales.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah

Post by milku3459 »

Ah I see. Will do this again with the tips you guys gave me and see if I can put some recs! (if I can figure them out) Is there a way to change AOE3 recs into Mp4 for youtube?
France Diarouga
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Diarouga »

1) Because what matters with goons is their range, the only unit which can attack goons if they have genitour+the arsenal upgrade is the skirm. Actually, musks, strels, other goons etc almost can't attack the 20 range goons. When you have 20 goons, having them 30% better won't matter much (or at least won't be worth 2000 resources) but trust me, 2 range can change games, even more if you consider that your opponent is going to make artillery (culverins to counter your heavy canons for example, or just mortars/falcs).

2)Well, you can still collect gold from whales, which on most RE maps is between 20 and 30 boats, a 25% upgrade is then 5-7 vills, that's big.