How would a third AoE III XP go?

No Flag winjhergs
Crossbow

How would a third AoE III XP go?

Post by winjhergs »

We have seen new content been added to AoE II and AoM. While us getting a AoE IV is still a distant dream, could a third AoE III XP happen?
And what would it be about? What type of stories and civilizations? Maybe Civil War themed?
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Re: How would a third AoE III DLC go?

Post by zoom »

Which are the first and second DLCs?
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

It would really depend on which studio made it. We saw some pretty big (and really good tbh) departures in style for TAD, which was developed by a different studio than Vanilla and TWC. But really there just aren't enough people playing this game for anyone to invest in it. It's honestly a minor miracle the servers are still up and Microsoft hasn't completely abandoned it yet.

PS because it's a game from the era of CD-ROMs it's called an "expansion pack" not DLC. Also slightly different in theme.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

More variety to attract players, but no sign of balance in sight.
r]
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

They will probably be quite lazy and just make a mod official.

The Forgotten was a mod before it was on steam. I don't think many of the unofficial expansions, such as NE are ready yet. It would be nice if they would release EP as a patch though.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

WoL and NE mods clearly show the community is more than capable of making the creative new content you'd expect from a "DLC" (Expansion) ...

If ESOC were to take a say three of their civs themed together and balance them, combined with relevant maps and hosted on the patch there's honestly no reason the community couldn't have a third expansion ... They did it for aoe2 ...

Might get some serious hype for the ESOC Patch too, Ideally this is where I'd love to see it headed.
No Flag winjhergs
Crossbow

Re: How would a third AoE III XP go?

Post by winjhergs »

zoom wrote:Which are the first and second DLCs?

forgrin wrote:PS because it's a game from the era of CD-ROMs it's called an "expansion pack" not DLC. Also slightly different in theme.

Wew, lads. Happy now?
Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

If it had to be between the two, then I'd rather have NE honestly. They're both really cool projects but NE is a much better from the balance perspective, at least from my experience. Ofc I haven't used either of them in about a year and a bit so not sure if this is still true.

Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

winjhergs wrote:
zoom wrote:Which are the first and second DLCs?

forgrin wrote:PS because it's a game from the era of CD-ROMs it's called an "expansion pack" not DLC. Also slightly different in theme.

Wew, lads. Happy now?

Yes.

New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

WickedCossack wrote:WoL and NE mods clearly show the community is more than capable of making the creative new content you'd expect from a "DLC" (Expansion) ...

If ESOC were to take a say three of their civs themed together and balance them, combined with relevant maps and hosted on the patch there's honestly no reason the community couldn't have a third expansion ... They did it for aoe2 ...

Might get some serious hype for the ESOC Patch too, Ideally this is where I'd love to see it headed.

I think the trick is they have to be more similar in terms of game-play. In retail there isn't nearly as much diversity in terms of civs as in NE. Whilst I would love to see a new expansion, the ones available would be too different. I could be wrong though, and Microsoft may be looking into it now.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

JakeyBoyTH wrote:
WickedCossack wrote:WoL and NE mods clearly show the community is more than capable of making the creative new content you'd expect from a "DLC" (Expansion) ...

I think the trick is they have to be more similar in terms of game-play. In retail there isn't nearly as much diversity in terms of civs as in NE. Whilst I would love to see a new expansion, the ones available would be too different. I could be wrong though, and Microsoft may be looking into it now.

Do you mean WoL? There isn't really much too crazy in NE honestly, it stays pretty true to the original game. WoL is the one where things get (wonderfully) insane.