Why does everyone play Deccan?

Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Why does everyone play Deccan?

Post by sdsanft »

Whenever I log onto ESO more than half the games are on Deccan? Why? Why does everybody like it so much? I'm not trying to hate on Deccan players or anything but I seriously don't understand what's so amazing about it.

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Re: Why does everyone play Deccan?

Post by deleted_user »

People like feeling they can do more than they are normally "allowed" to do with their starting resources. For instance, imagine how neat it'd be if you could build a bank + house with your starting resources as Dutch. On Deccan you can! Imagine building 4 manor houses. On Deccan you can! It allows for faster starts and just generally more stuff. I'd imagine it's akin to decking out your RPG character in the best shit you can find. We're hard wired for more and better.

On top of that, the cliffs allow for easy walling and booming. Players also like booming. Booming is fun. It's doing more than you're normally allowed to get away with. It's more resources, more techs, more villagers, more army. It definitely caters towards a certain general play style and that also allows players to execute specific strategies that are greatly sped up via the large starting crates (think otto revolt or any other FI strategy).

The hunts are also remarkably balanced most of the time for an RE map.
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah

Post by sdsanft »

Idk, 3v3 all rdm Deccan just seems so boring to me and 1v1 seems very unbalanced because some civs benefit so much more from the extra crates.

Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

What callen said; basically because you can just walk chokes and can do more eco off of the start crates, people that want something more like aoe2 play deccan.

I don't know anyone that plays it 1v1 specifically. It's a bad 1v1 map because balance on it is shit.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

deccan makes more strats viable with any civ.. ofc its fun
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
Serbia Atomiswave
Lancer

Post by Atomiswave »

With esoc maps widely available i don't see the point of re maps, even Deccan which is best of the bunch.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

sdsanft wrote:Idk, 3v3 all rdm Deccan just seems so boring to me and 1v1 seems very unbalanced because some civs benefit so much more from the extra crates.

That has nothing to do with the reply of Callen, though — people don't mind strong, but boring things :chinese:
And since when have crates been such an issue?
Deccan is possibly the most balanced RE map in terms of resources distribution. Callen's post is very insightful, I'd also add a large number of TPs and gold mines underneath your TC :!:
IMO it can be fun sometimes as something unusual, perhaps even on the highest level of play. Not standard, though, like we unfortunately experience on RE :(
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

I dislike deccan due to the map layout, but extra crates was something very common on re maps and we dont have in any EP...

Id like to se a version of arkansas or other new very standard map, but with deccan crate start. Just for the fun of it.

And before you even say "but some civs will be better then others and ..." just look at half esoc maps and tell me that this isnt already the case...
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

lemmings121 wrote:but extra crates was something very common on re maps and we dont have in any EP...

Indonesia, no?
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

pecelot wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:but extra crates was something very common on re maps and we dont have in any EP...

Indonesia, no?

NEED MOAR CRATES.

actually, i mean, in indonesia the water is so important that the extra gold doest mean a lot,thats why i said a standard map...
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah

Post by sdsanft »

pecelot wrote:
sdsanft wrote:Idk, 3v3 all rdm Deccan just seems so boring to me and 1v1 seems very unbalanced because some civs benefit so much more from the extra crates.

IMO it can be fun sometimes as something unusual, perhaps even on the highest level of play. Not standard, though, like we unfortunately experience on RE :(

I guess, that's what I've been trying to say. I don't mind it I just don't understand why it is by far the most played map when its definitely an unstandard one.

United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

It is really only fun if it is with pr 15-23 people who all have a secret agreement to not wall obnoxious amounts and only fb on the plateau. Besides that, if you dont place your fb aggressively or they break through your wall, you auto-lose.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

3v3 rdm guys always ahead in the meta
Italy DaRkNiTe1698
Lancer
ESO: Marco1698

Post by DaRkNiTe1698 »

I think people like playing that map when low rank, because most of players play Asian civs / Rush civ or Brits which is OP there. So it's just to have such an advantage I guess.
United States of America site
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: site

Post by site »

Perhaps it would be nice to have a map with the same bonus crate start as Deccan, but in a great plains style, so walling isn't as easy and the boomy style isn't as prevalent. A quick start to action is always nice and it is a way to get through the usually boring discovery age rather quickly.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

site wrote:Perhaps it would be nice to have a map with the same bonus crate start as Deccan, but in a great plains style, so walling isn't as easy and the boomy style isn't as prevalent. A quick start to action is always nice and it is a way to get through the usually boring discovery age rather quickly.

yes, the fun part of deccan is that any civ can start tp+market+age early, india can tp+10/10, dutch can even be a bit greedy and make a starting bank... i'll leave the sugetion to @Durokan :P
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

I don't think Deccan is famous among the high level players and that is because it doesn't differentiate between a skilled and an unskilled player. To open the possibility to do various things I guess ESOC maps have more to give to the players provided they have skills bc they have to fight guardians to get it. In Deccan you get spoonfed so you don't have to put efforts into the game.

@lemmings121 I think most of the things you stated are just because of abundance of wood? In that case I would like to point out the map Siberia which has some of awesome wood treasures and they can really help India to get tp+10/10 or (if buffed) an early bank for Dutch.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

Octanium wrote:I don't think Deccan is famous among the high level players and that is because it doesn't differentiate between a skilled and an unskilled player. To open the possibility to do various things I guess ESOC maps have more to give to the players provided they have skills bc they have to fight guardians to get it. In Deccan you get spoonfed so you don't have to put efforts into the game.

@lemmings121 I think most of the things you stated are just because of abundance of wood? In that case I would like to point out the map Siberia which has some of awesome wood treasures and they can really help India to get tp+10/10 or (if buffed) an early bank for Dutch.

Yes I agree. i'm just throwing fun ideias, not trying to argue that this is better or not.

its just that about deccan, I dislike the layout of the map, but I like the starting res for a change once in a while, its a fun map to have in a random map pool (like we were used to play before esoc, "standard re maps")
United States of America Durokan
Retired Contributor
ESO: Durokan

Post by Durokan »

lemmings121 wrote:yes, the fun part of deccan is that any civ can start tp+market+age early, india can tp+10/10, dutch can even be a bit greedy and make a starting bank... i'll leave the sugetion to @Durokan :P

remind me on the 16th. finals end on on the 15th of this month.
Check out my Custom Map Workshop here!
http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=98718#top
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Deccan is "noob-friendly" (note that i'm not despising lower ranks here, just I don't think of a better word). You can easily wall, you can gather on berries (it's bad but you don't get raided, so easy to manage), you have a ton of crates which means easy macro and fast start, TPs for everyone, 5k gold in base... Just a big camper map, and tbh 3v3s are usually for people who like to camp, especially at lower level
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah

Post by sdsanft »

site wrote:Perhaps it would be nice to have a map with the same bonus crate start as Deccan, but in a great plains style, so walling isn't as easy and the boomy style isn't as prevalent. A quick start to action is always nice and it is a way to get through the usually boring discovery age rather quickly.

I think this would be an interesting idea, like you already stated it basically just gives you a jumpstart and gets rid of age 1, which requires both a lot of skill but also quite a bit of luck. I'd still prefer "standard" maps, but it would be nice to mix in a bo5 or bo7 map pool for tournaments or something like that.

United States of America site
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: site

Post by site »

sdsanft wrote:

I think this would be an interesting idea, like you already stated it basically just gives you a jumpstart and gets rid of age 1, which requires both a lot of skill but also quite a bit of luck. I'd still prefer "standard" maps, but it would be nice to mix in a bo5 or bo7 map pool for tournaments or something like that.

Is there a guide anywhere for making maps? I would love to bring this idea to fruition. @Garja would you have any tips for me? I love your work.