Can somebody test if this French card is viable? (Voyageur)

Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Can somebody test if this French card is viable? (Voyageur)

Post by Imperial Noob »

The card is Voyageur, an age II upgrade to the French explorer—the coolest one of them all. :pop: 8-)

It gives the following benefits:
1) adds a dog with 419 HP and 15 attack in age II (respawnable, self-healing and auto-upgrading mini-hussar) up to 537 HP and 18 attack in age III
2) buffs your explorer by 200 HP (220 Range HP) and 6 attack up to 700 HP (770 Range HP) and 21 range attack.
in age III explorer will have 820 HP (over 900 Range HP) and 24 attack
3) gives your explorer the ability to heal target unit and nearby units for 400 HP every 120 seconds.

In the first fight it would mean 1040 additional soaked damage (compare to 3 huss' 1200 Range HP) => it is 87% of the HP, but little if any real damage output
Then, every next fight you will still have your heroic dog and tougher explorer and every 120 seconds an additional 400HP with the strategical potential to patch up wounded cannons or dying skirms (can be used during combat... for example falc duels!)
Alternatively, you may use your explorer to heal wounded cdbs who hunt or mine in a forward position, what potentially makes up for raiding potential lost by not having those 3 hussars.
You can always resurrect your dog for 100 coin (what is actually worth it) + resurrecting your explorer becomes slightly better, remember by TC timing pushes!

When considered over time, it is comparable to 3 hussar shipment... a more defensively oriented version of it. It may well replace 8 x-bows, for instance. Definitely worth 700 resources. I know that in cav semi-FF mirrors it would be weak, but against colonial pressure... Why not?

Could somebody good at playing France test it out and try to incorporate it into their strategy in a few casual games? I'd do it myself, but I'm too much of a relaxed sunday player not to suck in 1v1 in general.
United States of America site
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: site

Re: Can somebody test if this French card is viable? (Voyageur)

Post by site »

I think it could be useful in certain circumstances, but generally in age 2 you want to be sending 3 CDB, 700w, or 700c. I'm not a bad player, but I'm no pro. I'll play with it in some games and see if it is useful to me xD
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

Don't send this card.
United States of America CurassierAndCurassier
Retired Contributor
ESO: Montcalm17

Post by CurassierAndCurassier »

I would test it in some unrated games. I think this would work in a game where you aim to win one decisive fight, which is how my games go when I play the Samwise build.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

I like the idea, but...
Imperial Noob wrote:In the first fight it would mean 1040 additional soaked damage (compare to 3 huss' 1152 Range HP) => it is 90% of the HP, but little if any real damage output

:hmm:
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Are you noting how that is not the ranged HP of three Hussars?
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

zoom wrote:Are you noting how that is not the ranged HP of three Hussars?

He is noting the underlined sentence
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

site wrote:I think it could be useful in certain circumstances, but generally in age 2 you want to be sending 3 CDB, 700w, or 700c. I'm not a bad player, but I'm no pro. I'll play with it in some games and see if it is useful to me xD

It is a bad card even if it was an age 1 card. The only explorer card worse than this is probably the German explorer card.

I saw this picture and remembered about Site.
Attachments
image.jpg
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

I will use this card in all of my french decks and let you know how it goes.
oranges.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

I read "voyeurs" in the title ;)
United States of America site
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: site

Post by site »

yurashic wrote:
site wrote:I think it could be useful in certain circumstances, but generally in age 2 you want to be sending 3 CDB, 700w, or 700c. I'm not a bad player, but I'm no pro. I'll play with it in some games and see if it is useful to me xD

It is a bad card even if it was an age 1 card. The only explorer card worse than this is probably the German explorer card.

I saw this picture and remembered about Site.

Hahahaha. Don't club me too hard. :)
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

As an age 1 card it might be viable but just the fact that colo card spots are so hard to find with any civ makes it undesirable.

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

yurashic wrote:It is a bad card even if it was an age 1 card. The only explorer card worse than this is probably the German explorer card.

I concluded that it is the best explorer card, age II or not, because it can actually help your army.

@milku3459

Who knows what is he exploring? ...and what is the native scout helping him at? :hehe:
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

zoom wrote:Are you noting how that is not the ranged HP of three Hussars?

You're right zoom. I mistakenly remembered the miscalculated HP I got some time ago. The real number is much prettier anyway :biggrin:
correction done
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

Hi, I have just completed the rigorous experiment and concluded that, unless it is used as a surprise tactic during a 5 vs 5 hussar battle (healing them during the fight = coming out on top easily), this card isn't so good when sent first in age II :(

But, there are other possibilities!

At the very least, it might be better than 3 hussars due to the long term nature.
oranges.
United States of America CurassierAndCurassier
Retired Contributor
ESO: Montcalm17

Post by CurassierAndCurassier »

Aizamk wrote:Hi, I have just completed the rigorous experiment and concluded that, unless it is used as a surprise tactic during a 5 vs 5 hussar battle (healing them during the fight = coming out on top easily), this card isn't so good when sent first in age II :(

But, there are other possibilities!

At the very least, it might be better than 3 hussars due to the long term nature.

So what about using it with a standard 5 cav semi and healing your Hussars after they take TC damage when raiding? Probably too small an advantage to be worth it
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

Aizamk wrote:I will use this card in all of my french decks and let you know how it goes.

badass.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Maybe the ESOC patch should adjust explorer cards so that they're viable. :D
Singapore milku3459
Howdah

Post by milku3459 »

Aizamk wrote:But, there are other possibilities!

Can the explorer heal himself?
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah

Post by sdsanft »

Imperial Noob wrote:
yurashic wrote:It is a bad card even if it was an age 1 card. The only explorer card worse than this is probably the German explorer card.

I concluded that it is the best explorer card, age II or not, because it can actually help your army.

@milku3459

Who knows what is he exploring? ...and what is the native scout helping him at? :hehe:

How did you conclude it is the best explorer card? All explorer cards have a similar attack attack/hp boost plus a dog (except Spain iirc) but there are other bonuses that are better imo such as better war dogs (for spain) or a swashbuckler attack (Britain iirc) plus the fact that it is much easier for spain/russia/port to send it due to lack of age 1 cards or faster shipments.

Serbia Atomiswave
Lancer

Post by Atomiswave »

Its much better to send wilderness warfare than that.......
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

sdsanft wrote:
Imperial Noob wrote:

@milku3459

How did you conclude it is the best explorer card? All explorer cards have a similar attack attack/hp boost plus a dog (except Spain iirc) but there are other bonuses that are better imo such as better war dogs (for spain) or a swashbuckler attack (Britain iirc) plus the fact that it is much easier for spain/russia/port to send it due to lack of age 1 cards or faster shipments.

Swashbuckler requires getting in melee range, what is a bit awkward. I would consider it second after the French bonus.
Spanish upgrade is only 20% for the couple of war dogs and in turn you don't get the tanky, immortal explorer dog. This sux.
Bigger telescope radius is rather irrelevant, so the Portuguese bonus gives nothing helpful. Being placed in age 1 hardly matters, because you still need to throw one card away to make place in the deck... if not from age 2, then age 3 or 4. How better is that?
Russian card is good for treasures and this is it. I'd consider it third strongest on most maps and perhaps first on Yukon or other treasure-heavy maps.
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah

Post by sdsanft »

Imperial Noob wrote:
sdsanft wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Swashbuckler requires getting in melee range, what is a bit awkward. I would consider it second after the French bonus.
Spanish upgrade is only 20% for the couple of war dogs and in turn you don't get the tanky, immortal explorer dog. This sux.
Bigger telescope radius is rather irrelevant, so the Portuguese bonus gives nothing helpful. Being placed in age 1 hardly matters, because you still need to throw one card away to make place in the deck... if not from age 2, then age 3 or 4. How better is that?
Russian card is good for treasures and this is it. I'd consider it third strongest on most maps and perhaps first on Yukon or other treasure-heavy maps.

Well being availabe in age1 is an advantage even if you don't send it until age2 because it means you can fit and extra age2 card in your deck (eco/unit upgrades, AA, church card, etc). It also means that civs like Russia and Port can send it a lot sooner then france can without really suffering because they dont have great age1 shipments anyways. Spain can afford to send it sooner as well thanks to extra shipments and +20% on war dogs can be quite helpful if you have all 5, and you can spam them easier imo (80f instead of 100c with a max build of 5 instead of 1). Also, i know it probably doesnt count but port has their age4 shipment that sends 2 more explorers and the TWC/TAD civs have good explorer cards too.

No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Lol its bad, 400hp every 120 sex is so slow. Might as well make church and train 2 monks for more healing , roughky same tanking and half the price but no card.

Russian + dog explorer card is the only one which is great. And in some niche cases dutch one is ok as well. Aiz trolled with the brit card for a while but i dont think it worked out that well. The twc and asian civs also have some good ones.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah

Post by milku3459 »

400 hp for 120 sex? Now we can calculate the HP of a baby!