the Way of the FFA, A guide to hosting good FFA's

Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: the Way of the FFA, A guide to hosting good FFA's

Post by momuuu »

edeholland wrote:My way of FFA:

FFA means free for all, meaning that there are no teams, but also meaning that it's free for everyone to join.

No civ restrictions, no "no 2vs1" rules, maps scale with amount of players so no need for large map and don't forget to have fun instead of remembering all the rules.

Your way of ffa: team up with jerom and bram, kill howlingwolfpaw, watch him get angry.
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

pecelot wrote:Do you have any tips concerning room names? Should they be called „FFA", „FFA FFA", „FFA FFA FFA", „FFA FFA FFA FFA" or „FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA"?

pls make breeze poll when asking such questions.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

pecelot wrote:How will you defend then against age 5 opri raids? :hmm:

KOTH FFA is the ultimate FFA. Make sure you have an even number of players!

With units that counter them, it's not that hard
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:Rules for a fun FFA:

1- No walls allowed.
2- See rule one.

turtling and not making units is still optimal, but without walls, raids become a thing, so the game isnt just a nr55-FFA.

Walls are just part of the game. I do agree people should not lame them because they are kinda OP but to just have no walls is going to change the way people fight to only focus on eco attacks. This also gives some civs way more advantages that can spam fast or don't rely on wonders and factories.

you don't have to have walls yourself though. I have won many games by just attacking and spreading out following the natural resources to boom on. your enemy cant efficiently fight you doing all that searching but since you know where they are can initiate some kind of base trade option for them. you also save yourself thousands of resources to turn into faster attacking times.

yes i agree, it creates other problems... but i guess I would preffer a game of raids and overagression over a game were everyone has 10 layrs of walls ;(
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
pecelot wrote:How will you defend then against age 5 opri raids? :hmm:

KOTH FFA is the ultimate FFA. Make sure you have an even number of players!

With units that counter them, it's not that hard

Yeah, I guess you could camp with 50 goons in your base and never move out... :roll:
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

lemmings121 wrote:
howlingwolfpaw wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:Rules for a fun FFA:

1- No walls allowed.
2- See rule one.

turtling and not making units is still optimal, but without walls, raids become a thing, so the game isnt just a nr55-FFA.

Walls are just part of the game. I do agree people should not lame them because they are kinda OP but to just have no walls is going to change the way people fight to only focus on eco attacks. This also gives some civs way more advantages that can spam fast or don't rely on wonders and factories.

you don't have to have walls yourself though. I have won many games by just attacking and spreading out following the natural resources to boom on. your enemy cant efficiently fight you doing all that searching but since you know where they are can initiate some kind of base trade option for them. you also save yourself thousands of resources to turn into faster attacking times.

yes i agree, it creates other problems... but i guess I would preffer a game of raids and overagression over a game were everyone has 10 layrs of walls ;(

yeah but not that many games get that bad with walls. not nearly as spammy as TR games. lets show some respect to the FFA boomers, at least they are treaty players who dare to boom under threat of being raided. FFA is what you make it, like a metaphor for life. I have seen and played games using overaggressive diplomacy as a tactic and won. its a good place to practice such builds and test them.
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

FFAs are for not competitive players.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:lets show some respect to the FFA boomers, at least they are treaty players who dare to boom under threat of being raided.

They can quit at any time, treaty is at least rated :roll:
No Flag Zhanson10
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Zhanson10 »

I disagree that France is particularly op. That is a silly rule.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Yeah france is like the worst civ on RE anyways.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Zhanson10 wrote:I disagree that France is particularly op. That is a silly rule.

Enlighten us, then!
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

pecelot wrote:
Zhanson10 wrote:I disagree that France is particularly op. That is a silly rule.

Enlighten us, then!

step 1: FI
step 2: spam gends till the end of time to ppl who got rushed / made units early
step 3: win
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon
ESO: martinspjuth

Post by martinspjuth »

How to win FFA:
Less or equal to 6 players; Pick iro, rush your enemies. You won't encounter any opposition before you reach the 4/5 enemy.
More or equal to 6; make a straight treaty 40 boom combined with wall spam, and hope no1 rushes you. Then you beat every remaning player with your superior treaty skill.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

martinspjuth wrote:How to win FFA:
Less or equal to 6 players; Pick iro, rush your enemies. You won't encounter any opposition before you reach the 4/5 enemy.
More or equal to 6; make a straight treaty 40 boom combined with wall spam, and hope no1 rushes you. Then you beat every remaning player with your superior treaty skill.

sitting the whole game out doesn't work all the time. The longer you let someone live is longer for them to boom up and be harder to kill later. Or you are the one likely to be doubled.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

What if your boom is the best?
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

I've been getting into FFAs a bit and have played a handful of games. I have a question. If someone is being attacked, and you see it and were on your way to attack, do you continue with your original plans, or do you ignore the two and attack someone else? Is it bad FFA play to join into a battle, possibly "double teaming", or is this considered to be fair and okay? Another question to stem from that: if you're attacking someone and they mention that they are in the middle of a battle somewhere else, are you supposed to just not attack them, or what? What's acceptable and fair?

Bonus question: How does one conquer Aztecs?
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

It entirely depends on your attitude towards fair play. I'm personally not a huge fan of it, it is FFA for some reason; naturally, though, being „double-teamed" oneself is rather irritating. I believe, however, that in some cases such massive assaults are justified, for example if you're facing a much better opponent, an enemy with much more points or a player using a civilisation that can be considered lame (such as the French past the Industrial Age). :flowers:
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

When FFA party counter gets down to 3 players there will always be 2v1 at some point.

Besides, why no blockade? I played once in a situation where two last survivors (my mirror and some other guy) plotted against my dominant position, so I blockaded their upgrades and won due to superior units. If not for that blockade, they would have just drained me...

Russians aren't that good imho;until they can produce opri trains of at least guard level and musk-spam/base trade, they can't defend themselves properly against a deathstar of decent units.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Another question: at which level do games get most players? I sometimes play with my 2nd-lieutenant friend and we often then wonder who should be the host to attract the most players... :hmm:
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

XeeleeFlower wrote:I've been getting into FFAs a bit and have played a handful of games. I have a question. If someone is being attacked, and you see it and were on your way to attack, do you continue with your original plans, or do you ignore the two and attack someone else? Is it bad FFA play to join into a battle, possibly "double teaming", or is this considered to be fair and okay? Another question to stem from that: if you're attacking someone and they mention that they are in the middle of a battle somewhere else, are you supposed to just not attack them, or what? What's acceptable and fair?

Bonus question: How does one conquer Aztecs?

I do not double team in FFAs though sometimes inadvertently do, its just too OP and more fun to have good 1v1 battles until something happens with the last 3. Sometimes double teaming happens then and its ok, but often games i sit back and get spies and coach people how to play. I don't want to just wreck a base with no defenses. I guess other times is when a player is to aggressive and tries to take everyone out but fails then is faced with 2-3 enemies... thats fine, too. Thats the beauty of FFA is each game is made up of the temperaments of the players.

@pecelot if your boom is the best that is a good thing! but also something to make an easy target of. Better use some of in a decisive battle to rid oneself of most vile enemy first.

**** BONUS
*** How to conqueror the Aztecs. Well Aztecs are a pretty versatile civ in FFA, one of my favorites. I recently posted a rec in another forum that shows me as india going through 10 layers of turtled 32k HP Aztek wall. It takes persistence, good unit mix up and if your India, Urumi! Their main weaknesses are to mass skirms and a few musket to kill off coyote runners. then whatever else u feel u need to do the job. I sometimes like to use halbs to kill ERK and coyotes.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

Imperial Noob wrote:When FFA party counter gets down to 3 players there will always be 2v1 at some point.

Besides, why no blockade? I played once in a situation where two last survivors (my mirror and some other guy) plotted against my dominant position, so I blockaded their upgrades and won due to superior units. If not for that blockade, they would have just drained me...

Russians aren't that good imho;until they can produce opri trains of at least guard level and musk-spam/base trade, they can't defend themselves properly against a deathstar of decent units.

no one can stop you from putting up a blockade and I guess in some circumstances it is ok, but generally no its bad. some civs have much more advantage for this and it would he a shame if that became the meta.
Russians ability to spawn forts and inf anywhere make them fast acting civ for multiple fights and insta spam. But really the the opri laming that gets abused in FFA.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

pecelot wrote:Another question: at which level do games get most players? I sometimes play with my 2nd-lieutenant friend and we often then wonder who should be the host to attract the most players... :hmm:

another good question! The higher of the rank of host will gain higher players I think. but mid range is best for filling up of all ranges, so I d say MS to a 2nd lt. I wouldn't worry about it and just host to see who comes.

some lower ranks do get scared off from high rank hosters but sometimes that is good too, some really high ranked semi competitive style games pop up from time to time.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Actually just keep Aztecs off wood, if you killed all my TPs yesterday I wouldn't have been able to get wood for my maces/coyotes after some time
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Oh Lukas, twas you! :flowers: Well done annihilating everyone! Thought that blue was going to win it because his score was double. Fun game even though the orange player was a bit toxic. Glad he left. :smile: Thanks for the patience with me guys. Super casual player here. :biggrin:
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html