United States of America Darwin_
Howdah
ESO: Anonymous_01

13 Jun 2017, 13:46

One of my favourite civilizations in age of empires is Japan, and they are by far my most played civilization. They are incredibly versatile, adaptable, and most of all, strong. They are easily one of the most powerful civs on RE quick search due to their lack of map-dependency and ease in adapting. This guide will show you a few of the many ways to play Japan, with most of my focus being on the Club Rush.

intro

Disclaimer:
Before you start to read these strategies, please know that these are only a few of the myriad ways to do the club rush and other strategies. I have seen people do club rushes without ever shipping 300 export, and that probably works as well. However, all of the club rush strategies I will detail here involve shipping 300 export. I also never talk about using the age 2 daiymo, which is because I find it hard to control and not a very good shipment until you have the shogunate wonder. Just know that, at least in my opinion, Japan is one of the most versatile civs in the game and they probably have the most card options of any civ at any point in the game. Thus, their build orders are numerous and it is quite difficult to call one build order “the best”, unlike most other civs.

The Basic Club Rush

The Cavalry Start

The Yumi Start

Semi-ff Builds:
The Boat Build

Thanks for reading! If you have any suggestions I would be more then welcome to hear them, criticisms too! I have some recorded games attached, but will be trying to add more. Not all of them are of me playing. Also, the decks I have attatched now are what I use on my quicksearch account. For my EP and non-quicksearch decks, I normally do not have 8 ashi (7 vills or 1k wood instead), and for EP decks I don't have Way of the Bow because it is pretty much useless (instead I go for either 7 vills, 1k wood, or something like 5 samurai or 8 ashi, or even the age 3 daiymo).
Attachments
boats deck.JPG
boats deck
boats deck.JPG (76.28 KiB) Viewed 656 times
2v Deck.JPG
2 vills deck
2v Deck.JPG (75.77 KiB) Viewed 656 times
300w Deck.JPG
300 wood deck
300w Deck.JPG (76.88 KiB) Viewed 656 times
sdsanft_Russia_VS_Anonymous_01_Japan_ESOC Cascade Range.age3Yrec
(390.72 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
standard club rush vs. French RE.age3Yrec
(428.22 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Poland pecelot
ESOC Community Team
Donator 02
ESO: Pezet

13 Jun 2017, 15:38

Nice! Any decks suggestions?
My Tips of the Day and COMPSTOMP threads! Check out the ESOC Strategy Wall! :flowers:
No Flag spadel
Musketeer

13 Jun 2017, 15:52

If you plan to go for non kami builds and have a 300w start you can go for tp and send 300w twice (alternatively 3boat/300w). Thats super strong!

..it even works well on 200w starts without a tp if you can get some xp through treasures. I usually gather 50 wood then for 2 early shrines. Your age up will be slowed down a bit then, but you can just build the wonder with 4 vils and be right in time!
United States of America sircallen
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01
ESO: SirCallen

13 Jun 2017, 16:01

This is good to know. Nonstandard Japan is super handy to know for qs.
Scum Fuck Flower Boy
United States of America noissance
Howdah
ESO: noissance

13 Jun 2017, 22:56

anyone gonna do a writeup on gibson's daimyo rush ? (sohei, ashigaru, etc)
No Flag wolfAOE3
Crossbow

13 Jun 2017, 23:00

Japan is the most overrated civ to play if your opponent knows how to play this game for the past 3 years. Everyone that thinks Japan is still OP really has no idea how to play against the civ or they wouldn't be saying that.
Tuvalu gibson
Gendarme

14 Jun 2017, 00:08

noissance wrote:anyone gonna do a writeup on gibson's daimyo rush ? (sohei, ashigaru, etc)
what? I do a lot of non standard Japan but you must be thinking of someone else cause I don't even have the age 2 daimyo in most decks since it's annoying to control
I kissed a girl and I liked it
The taste of her cherry chap stick
I kissed a girl just to try it
I hope my boyfriend don't mind it
It felt so wrong, it felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love tonight
I kissed a girl and I liked it
I liked it
Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon
ESO: MASTERdutch

14 Jun 2017, 00:21

I did that for a while, its rediculously bad, you basically go spain consulate and send 2 sohei shipments to your daimyo, make ashi in the meantime, you can right click TC and hope your opponent sucks. Thats all there is to it... :p (you win if he doesn't know how to unload vills once in a while and call MM)
MASTERdutch/BlackwidowGG
Howdah

14 Jun 2017, 03:07

pecelot wrote:Nice! Any decks suggestions?

Added :)

@Durokan Strategy Wall?
Poland pecelot
ESOC Community Team
Donator 02
ESO: Pezet

14 Jun 2017, 12:07

Hey, I can add them there, too! :flowers:
My Tips of the Day and COMPSTOMP threads! Check out the ESOC Strategy Wall! :flowers:
United States of America Durokan
ESOC Maps Team
ESO: Durokan

14 Jun 2017, 12:08

Darwin_ wrote:
pecelot wrote:Nice! Any decks suggestions?

Added :)

@Durokan Strategy Wall?

added it
Check out my Custom Map Workshop here!
viewtopic.php?p=98718#top
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team

15 Jun 2017, 03:11

Nice!

Food for thought, the fact that Japan meta is stale makes it easier to pull off these strategies. People won't expect them, especially with a little effort to hide intentions (hard to do with Japan).

It's similar to why strategies like the howdah build can work on occasion.
Netherlands Jerom
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Jerom_

15 Jun 2017, 13:38

I think theres much more potential in non kami play as japan than we may sometimes think.

"When life give you incompetence, participate in the betting" - Jerom, winner of autumn betting, 2016
"but wer eyiu playig a gainst someone as magnificent as jerom? thats wha ti thogutb jerom is a beaaitful human being"- Mr_Bramboy
France P i k i l i c
Lancer
ESO: Pikilic

15 Jun 2017, 14:27

ryu play however, is always fantastic!
Your army is so small and quaint. It almost seems a pity to wreck it.
- Napoleon

:hmm: http://imgur.com/a/liXry
Wales CelticCrusader
Dragoon
ESO: CelticCrusader

15 Jun 2017, 20:11

Nice guide. I have been playing Japan mostly as of late so this is great. Doing the standard kami shrine boom eco play seems bad sometimes and it becomes boring with just one build. I will be trying some of these strategies out at some point.
No Flag Asateo
Musketeer
ESO: Asateo

16 Jun 2017, 12:38

played the cav start a couple of time against civ's that give (gave) me trouble (russia and otto) and it worked really well
Nicely done
Great Britain Hazza54321
Jaeger

16 Jun 2017, 17:08

The good thing about the 600w 300export build its harder to scout it
PutThePastInACasket : some say the universe is even bigger than the space between the starting TC and second hunt on fertile crescent
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

17 Jun 2017, 01:53

Non-kami build is available on many maps/in many MUs. It doesnt mean you have to all-in rush: you can still send 600w 4v etc to have a good eco (and build shrines to 140+ pop), while your opponent can't do fb rush etc.
It's already a war, and I have nothing to lose.
----diarouga
Greece tedere12
Howdah

17 Jun 2017, 02:13

yeah, on many qs maps you cant go 150-200 shrine pop on animals so if it is to go 100 shrine pop then 3 boats/2 vills/300w might be better
#FreeTheCheese
Howdah

17 Jun 2017, 16:49

tedere12 wrote:yeah, on many qs maps you cant go 150-200 shrine pop on animals so if it is to go 100 shrine pop then 3 boats/2 vills/300w might be better

Yeah Im working on writing up a version of the Bank Build I use in quicksearch when I want to boom but there are no hunts.
South Africa xhuggels
Crossbow

17 Jun 2017, 18:55

Darwin_ wrote:Yeah Im working on writing up a version of the Bank Build I use in quicksearch when I want to boom but there are no hunts.

that sounds bad, but again in qs you sometimes get map screwed, and just cause its bad doesnt mean its not your best choice, still getting a win as japan with a boom on a map with no hunts in a non mirror match seems far fetched.
if there are no hunts you pretty much have to bum rush and hope for the best.
Howdah

17 Jun 2017, 18:59

xhuggels wrote:
Darwin_ wrote:Yeah Im working on writing up a version of the Bank Build I use in quicksearch when I want to boom but there are no hunts.

that sounds bad, but again in qs you sometimes get map screwed, and just cause its bad doesnt mean its not your best choice, still getting a win as japan with a boom on a map with no hunts in a non mirror match seems far fetched.
if there are no hunts you pretty much have to bum rush and hope for the best.

Yeah you do have a point, but you'd be surprised how many times you want to boom on shitty QS maps. Mostly I use the build with yumi/wall strats.
South Africa xhuggels
Crossbow

17 Jun 2017, 19:23

btw i like the club rush and non-kami builds as people dont really expect it and at the very least you force them to chance their initial thoughts going into the game, especially when you start with 200w and you dont scout an early wood treasure, as i do think the normal port consulate kami build is always better with a 300w(or 200w with a nice wood treasure) start.
I have a few questions for you though.

1. So obviously the 3 fishing ship is the best non-kami shipment, but on maps with no water it gets iffy since you gotta choose between 300w and 2v. What do you think about starting market/shrine instead of shrine/shrine and getting the berry upgrade, and then civil servants and wood upgrade in transition? do you think that could make the 2v better than 300w, or would you suggest 300w every time?

2. So since you know you will face xbows/li(or if they smart musks) when they scout the late consulate, which do you think its the better start, barracks or stable? My personal experience tells me nagi is the best possible start, cause they destroy the hard counters to the clubs, while they can also be thrown into the fray along with the clubs against musks and force the fight, as you will have the mass more often than not(more stuff principal)
Howdah

18 Jun 2017, 01:42

xhuggels wrote:1. So obviously the 3 fishing ship is the best non-kami shipment, but on maps with no water it gets iffy since you gotta choose between 300w and 2v. What do you think about starting market/shrine instead of shrine/shrine and getting the berry upgrade, and then civil servants and wood upgrade in transition? do you think that could make the 2v better than 300w, or would you suggest 300w every time?

2. So since you know you will face xbows/li(or if they smart musks) when they scout the late consulate, which do you think its the better start, barracks or stable? My personal experience tells me nagi is the best possible start, cause they destroy the hard counters to the clubs, while they can also be thrown into the fray along with the clubs against musks and force the fight, as you will have the mass more often than not(more stuff principal)

There are two very good questions.

1. Yes I do think that if get a 300w start and plan on shipping 2v that you should try to get market ups in transition. 2v and 300w are honestly equally good shipments, its just that 2v is a lot more situational. I think that to get the full value of 2v you can really only ship 600 wood first, as with 300w you can get 5-5-5-5-5... batches super easily out of 1 military building, so the advantage of the extra villagers is really only appreciable if you are adding a second military building earlier.

2. In general, if you scout a forward rax (except if it is a blockhouse or iro wh), start yumi. I think both are viable and again, I think that stable is just more situational and rax start is just more versatile and safe. Also with the rax start you will most likely be shipping 600w first, which means that you can very easily mix nagi in early. The cav start can be viable as well (moreso on QS where a lot of people seem to favour bows more than pikes as their first batch), but needs to be followed up by a quick rax or 5 yumi shipment. You are right that club/nagi will beat anything they will have in that first minute or so, but usually at the cost of most of your clubs. Those clubs are super necessary for killing their fb. Yumi/club just seems to trade better for me and leave more clubs alive to kill the fb.
United States of America IntrepidExplorer
Crossbow
ESO: IntrepidExplorer

19 Jun 2017, 19:57

Thanks for this. I needed some other ways to play Japan - I often feel like against certain civs (otto, iro, and russia especially) , a port consulate / kami boom is just never viable.

Forum Info

Return to “Strategy”