Pikeman
28%
Halbderdier
72%

Total votes: 32

United States of America loquacioushoneybee
Crossbow

24 Aug 2017, 20:26

Pikeman are old, archaic units but Halberdiers are tough and very strong. I have trouble in the fortress age when deciding what to make as dutch. At my level there are a lot of "Gendarme Spammers" so I need some decent anti-cav. What should I make? What is your vote on which is the superior unit.
Ask not for whom the timer ticks, it ticks for thee.
France P i k i l i c
Lancer
ESO: Pikilic

24 Aug 2017, 21:26

Your anticav is of course Ruyters, with them you can hit and run without getting hit, and they cost mainly gold which is comfortable with the fact you have banks. I you didn't have those I think Pikemen would be better than halberdiers, even though you have to upgrade them. The only thing halbs have more per cost is attack vs other units than cav, and I don't think they can use it.
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic
Poland pecelot
ESOC Community Team
Donator 02
ESO: Pezet

24 Aug 2017, 22:22

Indeed, Ruyters seem to have the best shot due to their mass, mobility and kiting ability, but sometimes you need to tank the damage.

Generally, in the Fortress Age, Halberdiers start with an advantage of being shadow-upgraded, which is something not to ignore. Their other pros are no wood cost, more HP, a bit more siege and more attack vs non-cavalry units, whereas the Pikemen are relatively cheaper, faster to train and faster in general (5 speed), which is a hugely important factor when it comes to heavy infantry. Just because of the first asset, I'd always go for the Halberdiers, especially that as Dutch you won't run out of coin — something other European nations have to deal with.

On top of that, if we take the Gendarme spam into account, it's safe to assume it's already late-game, which in turn means that the former not only get a guard upgrade, but it's also royal guard — additional boost to their stats.
My Tips of the Day and COMPSTOMP threads! Be sure to check out the ESOC Strategy Wall! :flowers:
Sweden Gendarme
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 02
ESO: Gendarme

24 Aug 2017, 22:33

@Googol is an expert in this field. His input is invaluable.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

25 Aug 2017, 08:06

Halberd/swiss pikemen are quite helpful to dutch. Ruyters are good, but when you can't outskirm your opponent/your opponent have strong melee cav (cuir, uhlan, forbidden army), you'll need vet hussars. And halberd+hussar can deal mass damage to cav, while tank tons of damage at the same time.
It's already a war, and I have nothing to lose.
----diarouga
Holy See Imperial Noob
Dragoon
ESO: M1Karox/ImperialNoob

14 Sep 2017, 00:16

I just want to add an observation, that halberdiers cost basically the same as skirmishers + 5 gold each.

They must have been originally thought as a unit tailored for the Dutch. When your opponent's army is in your base, you can cancel just queued skirmishers and pop halberdiers instead right between his/her units. Few seconds of cancelled training are more than enought for your banks to gather additional coin.

It is therefore much easier to train halberdiers than pikemen.

Pikes have additional speed because they were thought as a field unit, to actually run after cavalry and, foremost, siege buildings around the map.
In age III running and sieging does not matter that much anymore, so don't worry about such petty deficiency of the halbs.

in short: halbs cost good, halbs kill strong, running is obsolete
If bored or sad, check my Incredible Artillery Show to cheer yourself up! :biggrin:
http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11543
Greece BrookG
Lancer
ESO: BrookG

14 Sep 2017, 07:14

Gendarmes can snare, so if you aren't very careful with ruyters, they can hurt you a lot. In team games, or laggy games in general, just switch to halbs. Pikes have few hp and the gendarmes' splash damage can make them useless. The halbs are inferior to ruyters only in mobility, as an anticav, but they have siege.
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

14 Sep 2017, 10:50

Ruyters. Halbs are awful in cost effectivity. Pikes are bad too.
Just think about it. You cant really do anything with halbs. They die vs skirms and goons also. Opponent wont run into them with melee cav either. Melee cav tanking damage better.
They only effective in all in situation. For example if you know will get an all in attack vs chinas lot of melee cav. I dont think there are any other scenarios they are useful.
United States of America Papist
ESOC Community Team
ESO: Papist

14 Sep 2017, 23:46

Dsy wrote:Ruyters. Halbs are awful in cost effectivity. Pikes are bad too.
Just think about it. You cant really do anything with halbs. They die vs skirms and goons also. Opponent wont run into them with melee cav either. Melee cav tanking damage better.
They only effective in all in situation. For example if you know will get an all in attack vs chinas lot of melee cav. I dont think there are any other scenarios they are useful.

They can make for a great surprise pop - if your opponent is packed into your base, a 10 halb pop can be game-changing. But yeah, they obviously aren't optimal in most situations for the reasons you already mentioned.
My first post, circa March 2015 :blush:
Papist wrote:@frycookofdoom. WTF are you talking about? There is no need for AoE to become a StarCraft rip-off. I sincerly doubt a historical game would attract the science fiction crowd anyways.
Poland pecelot
ESOC Community Team
Donator 02

15 Sep 2017, 10:41

video

@EAGLEMUT :hmm:
My Tips of the Day and COMPSTOMP threads! Be sure to check out the ESOC Strategy Wall! :flowers:
Singapore milku3459
Lancer
ESO: jamescheif100

15 Sep 2017, 10:47

pecelot wrote:
video

red micro 2 gud
1/5/17
Poland pecelot
ESOC Community Team
Donator 02

15 Sep 2017, 10:49

*macro, he was already going Industrial :!:
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Game: AoE Online

15 Sep 2017, 11:37

pecelot wrote:
video

What a great game, had to watch it till the end again.

Forum Info

Return to “Strategy”