Doomsday Clock is almost to midnight

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
United States of America AOE3_Returner
Musketeer
ESO: offline

Doomsday Clock is almost to midnight

Post by AOE3_Returner »

Who else has this anxiety everyday of your life now? IT IS TWO AND A HALF MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
http://thebulletin.org/timeline
SirCallen - Wait I already knew you were a troll why did I put any effort in replying to this thread.. WHAT A NICE GUY
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Re: Doomsday Clock is almost to midnight

Post by fei123456 »

You guys overestimated Trump's power
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

hmm? People still believe all that?
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Musketeer

Post by AOE3_Returner »

fei123456 wrote:You guys overestimated Trump's power

It is dangerous to underestimate someone in his position. He seems to be gaining influence because his muslim travel ban is now sticking when it was denied by federal judges in the past.
SirCallen - Wait I already knew you were a troll why did I put any effort in replying to this thread.. WHAT A NICE GUY
China fei123456
Jaeger

Post by fei123456 »

If i am the us president i'll ban them too
Musketeer

Post by AOE3_Returner »

fei123456 wrote:If i am the us president i'll ban them too

My point is that Trumps policies are sticking now. Whether or not Muslims should be banned is for smarter minds than mine.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

@AOE3_Returner I share the same fears that you have. For our climate, and for WW3 with Trump as commander in cheaf. As far as I have learned, he can pretty much start warfare all by himself, - no need for approval by Senate or Kongress, and no need for approval by NATO or UN.
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. NyxAchlys9

Post by NyxAchlys9 »

Just read about the clock when this topic came up. Pretty scary really. It's very fortunate I live in a place where, for the most part, there is a lot of peace. I don't think WW3 will go as far as New Zealand. It's still a very real and scary thought :O
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

WW3 will be good for the economy, which is important considering that we have reached the late stages of this economic cycle.
Top quality poster.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

get rid of debtsh, aye
Musketeer

Post by AOE3_Returner »

I'm still not convinced that North Korea can deliver a nuclear weapon all the way to the US. If the North can and does then the world will set off a chain reaction that will bring us back to the BC era. North Korea has been threatening the United States long before Trump though and no US president has dealt with it. North Korea has been creating a lot of noise all my life.
China fei123456
Jaeger

Post by fei123456 »

No US allows north korea to have atom bombs in fact.
This gives US the reason to put heavy military power in east asia, fully controling japan and south korea, and threatening china/russia.
US doesnt really want to destroy north korea (they will have done it if they really want to), and that's why it becomes a big problem now.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Wouldn't you agree it's a bit more complicated than that? ^

International relations are heavily interconnected. If the US just destroys NK unprovoked then that very likely will incite another world war.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

AOE3_Returner wrote:

It is dangerous to underestimate someone in his position. He seems to be gaining influence because his muslim travel ban is now sticking when it was denied by federal judges in the past.

The "muslim ban" does not exist. It's a travel ban on muslim-majority countries. Being Indonesian means you're likely to be Muslim, but it's no certainty. By calling it a "muslim ban", you label every single person in these countries a muslim, which means you came to the conclusion someone was a muslim just because of their nationality/race.

W e r e y o u j u s t r a c i s t ?
:OOOOOO
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. NyxAchlys9

Post by NyxAchlys9 »

milku3459 wrote:
AOE3_Returner wrote:

The "muslim ban" does not exist. It's a travel ban on muslim-majority countries. Being Indonesian means you're likely to be Muslim, but it's no certainty. By calling it a "muslim ban", you label every single person in these countries a muslim, which means you came to the conclusion someone was a muslim just because of their nationality/race.

I think the news really blew it out of proportion when Trump dropped this bomb. It's perfectly reasonable to stop people travelling from certain countries in turmoil. Especially Syria and the Middle East. People seem to forget that America is sort of doing this thing over there. The way terrorists operate you can't be too careful. Sure not everyone from those countries is a terrorist but I would rather stop those flights then potentially kill or injure innocent people.
Musketeer

Post by AOE3_Returner »

milku3459 wrote:
AOE3_Returner wrote:

I understand everything you're saying but he is banning travel from countries that are mostly muslim so that is why I said "muslim ban". This is a Steve Bannon inspired ban and just talking about it doesn't make me a racist I don't think. If more people were around Islamic people then they would be less demonized.
China fei123456
Jaeger

Post by fei123456 »

If more people are around terrorists then more people will die to a bomb.
Also you overestimated trump's powe. He won't destroy the world or US: he just can't. And he can't do anything good either. Nothing will happen after 4 years (or even 8 years? Though it's not likely to happen). Just eat drink sleep and play aoe3.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

If more people were around Islamic people then they would be less demonized.

I think you forget the issue the travel-ban tries to address is not "Islamophobia", but people being blown up with bombs and run over with trucks by terrorists. Muslims are generally nice people in my experience and these terrorists are not--separating the sheep from the wolves is difficult-to-impossible and endangers American lives, so banning them all is a viable option based on the frequency of the cultural-enrichment-events in Europe.
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

China needs to stop piggybacking North Korea's side or else we're all fucked
European Union Asateo
Dragoon
ESO: Asateo

Post by Asateo »

milku3459 wrote: so banning them all is a viable option based on the frequency of the cultural-enrichment-events in Europe.

Being from Europe, I can assure you that most "cultural-enrichment-events" have been done by people grown up in Europe.

Thus a travel ban on the argument you are making.
To see a world in a grain of saind, A heaven in a wild flower
Hold infinity in the palm of you hand, And eternity in an hour
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence