France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Guide to koth

Post by bwinner »

hi i'm bwinner, welcome to jackass

what is KOTH ?
it's a mod of suprematie where the player need to control a fort for a certain amount of time to win (instead of Killing the opponents).
You can play it in team, 1v1 or whatever (which changes the time you need to control the fort to win), but I will only talk about the ffa mod, because the other aren't rly interesting.

The interesting part of playing it ffa is that it will allow you will fight always the player that is controling the fort, and so the ffa will be kind of "fair" (there is nothing subjectv on who you Attack. Because one very important thing that noobs often don't know in koth is that THE TIMMER WON'T RESET !!!! so each second that you can control the fort is good ! The time you need to control the Wonder chages with the number of player, but for example it's 7min with 5 players.

how do you play koth?
You usually starts like in normal suprematie, I like to rush the fort, because it's easier to get it early in age 2 (bc you can't have it until you are age 2), but it depends of the civ. Generally, you want to control the fort without having to commit, so prefere composition that can hit and run and always go away like skirm/goons rather than heavy cav or any hand combat unit.

but, wait, why play koth?
There is a big koth community, with some very pro players like @QueenOfdestiny @EAGLEMUT or the best of them who's me without possible discutions. So if you are bored with the easy little suprematie community, I advice you to come here for some real challenge.

IROQUOIS
Iroquois is the best civ to play koth (on RE patch). What I usually do is aging fast, then take the control of the fort ASAP with the explorer (I wait under it when I age). Then I place my wh near the fort and I defend with aenna+toma. When I see I can't take a fight and I have to back, I do it and from there I go age 3. Then in age 3 I Try to mass skirm goon and hit and run until I can take the control of the fort. Then I sneak a forest prowdler in sealth mod Under the fort and I try to kill every explorer that come to it. It's usually enought to win the game 21.

DUTCH
I lame iro anyway]

FRENCH
Try to win the game

GERMAN

OTTOMAN//www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVopuaJzWN0

PORTUGUESE

RUSSIA
do this build https:http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=301761#p301761

SPAIN
here are some good advices : viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13827

AZTEC
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=14308

INDIAMy computer contains more wood than Hazza's one

don't play japan they suck unless you're aizamk

To conclude, I would like to thanks @Cometk to give me this idea, @my_parents to help me writting this but not @QueenOfdestiny for rage quitting every single koth she plays.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Re: Guide to koth

Post by tedere12 »

wanna play koth now?
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

When you are about to lose the fort, don't forget to just delete it. You can then play a normal ffa by booming up for 50 minutes.

KotH is pretty interesting though. Of course Iro is strong because they are so fast, but what if everybody goes Iro? Wouldn't it then be better to play something like Brits and push after 10 minutes? Is there like a rock-paper-scissor-balance in terms of strategy and civs?
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

I just rage quit every game bc i get every game rushed from 1 player :mad:
shit juice :hmm:
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

We need the EP team to balance FFA games.
Pay more attention to detail.
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

So what i can say about koth is...
Don't rush your neighbour like I get rushed every single game -.-
Take care about the time in the middel when you are booming... you might not be ready in time befor someone win the game...
I like to revolt in koth bc its fun :hehe:

JUST RUSH BWINNER
Gendarme wrote:We need the EP team to balance FFA games.

on ep its even better there is smth that you can randomly team like in a scenario.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

I think FFA games are balanced on VP. Do you agree @thebritish ?
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

tedere12 wrote:

I think FFA games are balanced on VP. Do you agree @thebritish ?

Yes we had a very good FFA there.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

If esoc hosts a Free For All tourney it should be hosted on VP
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

Nice I like KOTH too! I had a few wins with Sioux in KOTH and I think it's a decent KOTH civ. Also, I won the last KOTH I played with upped rajputs with mansabdar, thanks to @EAGLEMUT for the inspiration :smile:
Some people also like to revolt with Portuguese
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

nice suprematie koth guide ! play now ?

I remember the good old days of me, Eagelmut, R4GO & BrookG playing KotH... :ship:
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

Koth is fun. I don't know why nobody joins when I host koth games.

Russia is my favorite civ. They're good at getting the fort earlier, and sustaining long fights to drag out the timer. Their mix of strong timings with good attrition makes them fun to play, but I don't know if they're actually that good.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

Russia's biggest issue is they don't have the fast age up option, and usually require a decent mass to fight effectively. So they are usually outdone by the warchief civs and are then beaten by better mid game civs. Koth's are great. Biggest issue is most of the time when you host a game you get people who have no idea what it is/how to play so it's just a mess. If you can get a consistent group they become pretty decent to play. Better than normal ffa's for sure.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Queen will just do a TR boom and banks on the fact that the other players play fair so then she gets the auto-roll win at 25 minutes with 3x the eco and imperial units.

One player will accidentally scout the fort at 01:00 and gain 4 free minutes of fort time.

If you rush the fort it just becomes a game of chicken to see who chickens out of their boom builds the first to contest it. Once it's contested the other players sigh a sigh of relief and continue with their boom builds, then the two who rushed just lose to the next player who prolonged their boom build a bit longer who loses to the next who boomed a bit longer who all lose to queen with her literal TR build.

Of course, this is assuming any one player chickens out of their boom build at all. I've played a game of KOTH that I won at 9 minutes utterly uncontested with 20 units. Then everyone was pissy about it! They didn't get to do their boom builds!

This is the actual worst game mode in AoE, leagues below regular FFA, DM, and TR.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

You've just summed up why it's much better than normal FFA. Many more strategies available than a normal FFA game and it acts much more like a game of diplomacy in the sense you've got to maneuver everyone else around you to get them to do what benefits your strategy the most.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Gross!
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

@deleted_user4 you never played koth with us...
Nope I don't boom always bc it's boring to do always the same strat
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I did though. I played two games. Muh sample size.
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

No it was one!
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

I actually did that to troll comekt but since some people seems really interrested in it maybe WE should see to organize some koth^^
@deleted_user4 it's because you play with unexperimented low people, but even though I had a lot of boring games like you, I also had some really good ones. It's maybe not the best game mod ofc, but I am 100% sure this is a lot better than normal FFA. By the way you really cancer win with a 25min boom. Non way. Beacuse 1st games almost always end befor 25mins, and even if you do, you won't be able to hold for 7minutes 1v4 against other players that have probably still build vils for 25min without loosing many.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

woah cometk get trolled :O
wardyb1 wrote:Russia's biggest issue is they don't have the fast age up option

they do, though, don't they, though?
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

pecelot wrote:woah cometk get trolled :O
wardyb1 wrote:Russia's biggest issue is they don't have the fast age up option

they do, though, don't they, though?

Not to age 2 they don't. Being first to capture the fort with a strong explorer is a key initial move as it can wipe 2/3min off your needed time.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

The real play in koth is to take the hill as early as possible, then back out when reasonable force comes to contest it. Come back during the later part of an age 3 battle between 2 players at the fort and clean up.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums