Canada Warno
Dragoon
Donator 08
ESO: Warno

Re: Weekend Tournament & Multi-Stream Feedback

Post by Warno »

Cometk wrote:some questions for everyone:
1) thoughts on 2 stream?
3) any other ideas for improving or adding to the event.
4) also, the 7th event of the grand tour season 1 is sort of a toss-up, we don't have it set in stone yet. what sort of events would you like to see? (koth, cards, other formats?)

I think a completely random tournament would be incredible for viewers to watch.

In the game lobby civs are given a number, using a random number generator the players are picked their civs. Then give 2 mins to think of strategy and play game. Adding random map to that would make it even better because strats would have to be thought of on the go.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

despite my short spell I enjoyed the format and even if I'm not overly active nowadays, I still signed up due to the duration of the competition
I tuned in the stream for the finals, which were very nice despite some technical difficulties :smile:
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

Warno wrote:
1) thoughts on 2 stream?
4) also, the 7th event of the grand tour season 1 is sort of a toss-up, we don't have it set in stone yet. what sort of events would you like to see? (koth, cards, other formats?)

I think a completely random tournament would be incredible for viewers to watch.

In the game lobby civs are given a number, using a random number generator the players are picked their civs. Then give 2 mins to think of strategy and play game. Adding random map to that would make it even better because strats would have to be thought of on the go.

Sounds like a lot of fun but not fair at all. There are too many unfair matchups. Would have to be a <$50 prize pool event imo.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
Canada Warno
Dragoon
Donator 08
ESO: Warno

Post by Warno »

dicktator_ wrote:
Warno wrote:
1) thoughts on 2 stream?

Sounds like a lot of fun but not fair at all. There are too many unfair matchups. Would have to be a <$50 prize pool event imo.

We would see I guess, I am sure before the tourney started that everyone thought India > Japan but Mitoe changed a few things up and won.

EDIT - Regardless, if admins would want to take this idea I don't mind helping to fund it.
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

kami_ryu wrote:Isn't some coverage better than no coverage? We don't NEED to cover anything, but the more the better.

We are not in a situation where there is no coverage right. There is coverage.

The thing that worries me is that people always tend to think that the more means the better. Often, more isn't better. In fact, you produce more with the same amount of manpower. Often, that leads to a loss of quality.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

What 1 programmer can do in 1 month, 2 programmers can do in 2 months.
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

I just finished the YouTube work. I got some more feedback:

- Put some text small below that shows the round.
- Make sure casters are casting on their main account.
- Make sure casters start with an intro before the game starts.
- Provide an event-related overlay.

Furthermore, a YouTube thumbnail will make sure more people watch the videos. (But I already told it in PM) @Cometk
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I thought I'd love having two streams. That's twice as much aoe and twice as much opportunity to shitpost and half the probablility of missing a really good game, yeah? Then I wasn't home and had to watch on mobile and needless to say I disliked having two streams then; it's much more difficult to switch between the two, to follow conversations and to follow games. I imagine me insane apm on mobile is comparable to a normal person with normal aoe interest and a normal amount of free time and normal real world social stimulus on desktop so as to say it was a real lesson in understanding. I'm a high-ranked twitch fiend.

I admit I think it's best to not stretch casters so thin and to instead use those resources on one channel where the casting periods aren't so long. I mean even casting semis + finals is too long for two casters.

Yeah the best games might be missed, but having everything and everyone in one place makes up for that.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

IMO QF & SF should be bo3, and F bo5, and all casted. I was satisfied with last weekend, overall.
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

The viewer figures were most likely over inflated with the same viewers logged into both of the ESOC twitch streams. i.e. number of viewers > number of unique viewers. Dual streams worked really well but lets approach the next tournament as having a primary and secondary stream instead of 2 streams.

7th tourney idea maybe utilizing purely either the KnB maps or RE maps, would quite happily watch some rockies/yucatan/New England/Sonora/carolina/bayou type matches as it brings a different dynamic to the game than currently portrayed in ESOC maps. I know the thought of not having 4 hunts spawn in/extremely close to your TC will give brit players a potential heart attack but these games are great to watch instead of the standard we've all been accustomed to.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

It's not like some EP maps aren't low hunt.

The biggest problem with RE maps is getting fair and consistent spawns. Not unheard of to rehost RE maps in tourney 5x.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I didn't watch any, but when I do watch multistream tournaments they often work with 2 casters and then some other people that tune in to other tournament games and just quickly summarize those. So for example maybe zoi joins sircallen vs jerom while muted in the casters stream and then he chips in in between games to give a summary as to what has happened so far in jerom vs callen. Then watching the main stream you kinda catch the story of the tournament anyways. I think worth testing with just 1 additional observer.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

edeholland wrote:What 1 programmer can do in 1 month, 2 programmers can do in 2 months.

That's not how math and programmers work.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Sweden Hawk_Girl
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Hawk_Girl »

Cometk wrote:i'll keep it short. there is so, so much to appreciate about everyone's contribution to the event yesterday. a lot of people commit many hours and some even their entire sunday to putting on a great show. no, this is not a dead game. and in fact, it has a great community.

some questions for players:
1) in general, what was the experience like? what could us tour admins do to improve the experience of being a player in the tournament?
2) thoughts on making it a 2 day event, starting saturday with ro4 and finals on sunday. if you were a player, would you still sign up knowing you might have to commit to playing over 2 days?

some questions for everyone:
1) thoughts on 2 stream?

4) nilla games
Denmark crjensen4
Dragoon
Donator 07
ESO: crjensen4

Post by crjensen4 »

Would an Elgato game capture and streaming plus a solid net connection solve lag issues?
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

7th tourney: Regicide, no walls allowed :O
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

princeofcarthage wrote:
edeholland wrote:What 1 programmer can do in 1 month, 2 programmers can do in 2 months.

There is definitely some truth to what ede says. I think the overhead of project management and communication between developers may outweigh the bonus of having double the manpower when going from 1 to 2 programmers, unless they have vastly different skill sets that nicely match the different components of the application.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

musketeer925 wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:

There is definitely some truth to what ede says. I think the overhead of project management and communication between developers may outweigh the bonus of having double the manpower when going from 1 to 2 programmers, unless they have vastly different skill sets that nicely match the different components of the application.

Exactly. While it may sound like a joke, there is definitely some truth to it.

Watch out when your management says: if 1 woman can create a baby in 9 months, 9 women should be able to do it in 1 month!