Nagorno karabakh conflict

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Re: Nagorno karabakh conflict

Post by Sargsyan »

Amsel_ wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Amsel_ wrote:I wonder what's going on through Armenia's mind here. Why are they so intent on holding onto a region they agreed to give to Azerbaijan? Does dragging things out help them in some way, or are they just too proud to 'lose' to their rival?
I straight up misread this as saying "I wonder what's going on through America's mind here"
>that feel when you're the only country in the world that exists
Sargsyan wrote:
Amsel_ wrote:I wonder what's going on through Armenia's mind here. Why are they so intent on holding onto a region they agreed to give it to Azerbaijan? Does dragging things out help them in some way, or are they just too proud to 'lose' to their rival?
if you did a little research you'd get the answer to your question. From where did you come up with the fact that we agreed to give Azerbaijan ? That region was given to them by the communists during Soviet era and was always predominantly populated by Armenians. So after USSR collapsed Nagorno Karabagh people had a referendum and declared their independence from Azerbaijan.
Didn't the Madrid Principles agree to transfer control of the region?
transfer control of Azerbaijani territories that were captured, not Nagorno karabagh.
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

Sargsyan wrote:
Amsel_ wrote:
Show hidden quotes
>that feel when you're the only country in the world that exists
Show hidden quotes
Didn't the Madrid Principles agree to transfer control of the region?
transfer control of Azerbaijani territories that were captured, not Nagorno karabagh.
I see. Thank you.
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah
ESO: ivanelterrible

Post by Good ol Ivan »

Sargsyan wrote:
Amsel_ wrote:I wonder what's going on through Armenia's mind here. Why are they so intent on holding onto a region they agreed to give it to Azerbaijan? Does dragging things out help them in some way, or are they just too proud to 'lose' to their rival?
if you did a little research you'd get the answer to your question. From where did you come up with the fact that we agreed to give Azerbaijan ? That region was given to them by the communists during Soviet era and was always predominantly populated by Armenians. So after USSR collapsed Nagorno Karabagh people had a referendum and declared their independence from Azerbaijan.
During the Soviet era Nagorno-Karabakh was an "autonomous" region.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Azerbaijan wants to take over Artsakh or whatever it's called, returning to Soviet borders.
They want to own all of Artsakh but would likely give autonomy to Nagorno-Karabakh.
And right now Artsakh is de facto an Armenian substate. So Azerbaijan has zero power over Nagorno-Karabakh and Artsakh, Azerbaijan owns them in name only.
I sympathize more with Armenia because of historical reasons (I can't say more without risking another ban), but Azeri demands don't seem that outlandish really.

Anyway, what really happened?
Azerbaijan claims Armenia started it but that smells like BS to me.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by Sargsyan »

@Good ol Ivan
Basically Nagorno Karabakh was an independent state after ww1, Brits tried helping Azerbaijan to annex it but azeris failed. Ultimately Armenia won azeris and joined Nagorno Karabagh to Armenia, then the Soviets came and annexed everything.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Artsakh

Them saying Armenia started the war is just cringe.
Imagine doing 2 months military training with Turkey(https://www.aa.com.tr/en/turkey/turkey- ... ue/1929548), deploying terrorists from Syria, having more military budget than overall Armenia budget, and then Armenia suddenly decides to start a war.
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer
ESO: voigt

Post by voigt1240 »

Now that prisoners are being executed and bombings still are being dropped to this day, surely global action needs to take place. A ceasefire did not seem to work.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

voigt1240 wrote:Now that prisoners are being executed and bombings still are being dropped to this day, surely global action needs to take place. A ceasefire did not seem to work.
Alternatively, everyone could just do nothing about it. It would be far from unprecedented
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Clan: BANIN

Post by ShinkuroYukinari »

Solution is to bring back the USSR and make them one country again!
My signature was removed, MOD ABUSE!
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah

Post by Good ol Ivan »

ShinkuroYukinari wrote:Solution is to bring back the USSR and make them one country again!
A better solution is to kill all communists and islamists on sight tbh ngl.

User was timed out for this post.
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon

Good ol Ivan wrote:
ShinkuroYukinari wrote:Solution is to bring back the USSR and make them one country again!
Next thing you're gonna tell me is that you will use a Helicopter for it?
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah

Post by Good ol Ivan »

ShinkuroYukinari wrote:
Good ol Ivan wrote:
What's wrong about them? You guys prefer ice picks?
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer

Post by voigt1240 »

Would be an interesting world where the USSR was able to restructure and not fall apart. The USSR was a huge geopolitical catastrophe. Depending on Who you ask ofc.
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon

Good ol Ivan wrote:
ShinkuroYukinari wrote:
Show hidden quotes
What's wrong about them? You guys prefer ice picks?
Nah, those are for Trots :^)
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon

voigt1240 wrote:Would be an interesting world where the USSR was able to restructure and not fall apart.
Would be a better world, that's for certain :)
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah

Post by Good ol Ivan »

voigt1240 wrote:Would be an interesting world where the USSR was able to restructure and not fall apart. The USSR was a huge geopolitical catastrophe. Depending on Who you ask ofc.
It was a failed experiment and it was doomed to perish from the very beginning. If anything it's astounding it lasted for so long before falling on its own weight. The USSR could have only survived by going all in against the west (and miraculously winning), or opening up it's market like China and miracously avoiEither way
Best case scenario is WW1 being avoided or at the very least not being so bloody. No communism, no nazism. no wahabbism (it only became viable as a reaction to European colonialism), no WW2, the middle east doesn't turn into hell on earth as a result of Frogs and Island spawns drawing lines on a desert, no WalMartia becoming the global superpower it is today. That's lots of birds killed with one stone.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by Sargsyan »

needless to say this conflict was caused by ussr itself
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Really makes you think what would have happened if that guy didn't kill the archduke of Austria-Hungary.
Think of all the things we could have avoided, especially weebs.

No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah

Post by Good ol Ivan »

Dolan wrote:Really makes you think what would have happened if that guy didn't kill the archduke of Austria-Hungary.
Think of all the things we could have avoided, especially weebs.

If only that one guy with an Italian name didn't decide to go for a sandwich, and/or the driver didn't make that wrong turn in his way to the hospital. Poor Franz Ferdinand, he deserved better. He had to know better than trusting fucking Balkans of all people, but he was so merciful he did it anyways.
But I don't even blame Gabriel el Principe, Austria Hungary should have been smarter and avoided that cesspool filled with STDs that is the balkans in the first place. The Balkans are fucking useless, touching them only leads to misery and missfortune. You already know that. Wven fucking Bismarck had some decades before warned everyone there'd be a huge war all because of some stupid shenanigans in the Balkans.
The Balkans is like that ugly girl you know has STDs, Turkey already warned you many times about her. And god you know Turkey is sick as hell after centuries of dealing with the Balkans. But no, Austria had to be the brave guy, and had to stick it in there.
Good fucking job Austria, you gave the world AIDS, cancer, gonorrhea, herpes, the spanish fever, and anime.

User was timed out for this post.
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer

Post by voigt1240 »

That is what happens when you play with fire in the powder keg of Europe
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Really shocked that this thread turned into a total shitshow. Figured it would be calm and reasonable
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Good ol Ivan wrote:If only that one guy with an Italian name didn't decide to go for a sandwich, and/or the driver didn't make that wrong turn in his way to the hospital. Poor Franz Ferdinand, he deserved better. He had to know better than trusting fucking Balkans of all people, but he was so merciful he did it anyways.
But I don't even blame Gabriel el Principe, Austria Hungary should have been smarter and avoided that cesspool filled with STDs that is the balkans in the first place. The Balkans are fucking useless, touching them only leads to misery and missfortune. You already know that. Wven fucking Bismarck had some decades before warned everyone there'd be a huge war all because of some stupid shenanigans in the Balkans.
The Balkans is like that ugly girl you know has STDs, Turkey already warned you many times about her. And god you know Turkey is sick as hell after centuries of dealing with the Balkans. But no, Austria had to be the brave guy, and had to stick it in there.
Good fucking job Austria, you gave the world AIDS, cancer, gonorrhea, herpes, the spanish fever, and anime.
The Balkans weren't so messed up before the Ottoman empire meddled in their affairs. Ottomans conquered parts of what is today Bosnia and their subjects adopted Islamism, which created a cultural schism in the region that lasts to this day. The Balkans are just another example of what a shitshow multiculturalism can be, especially when people strongly identify with their culture and ethnicity (not like people from that country where "culture" is just an option in a fastfood menu).

However, I think there's a lot of broad-brush thinking about the Balkans. Greece is geographically located in the Balkans but they don't identify with this label. Bulgaria is also in the Balkans, and yet, they're not known to have been a historical troublemaker in the region. Romania is not part of geographical Balkans, however, its southern province has been influenced by Balkan culture and politics to some extent.
When people talk about the Balkans as an explosive region, they typically think of ethnic conflict between ex-Yugoslavian countries. As I said, though, before the Ottoman empire messed up with this region, the Balkans were not such a breeding ground for conflict. It's a bit similar to how Stalin moved populations between Soviet republics, mixed them all up to make sure they stay culturally divided, which would reduce the risk of them revolting against Moscow. If you keep them divided, they will fight each other instead of rebelling against the centre. The Ottoman empire had a similar influence in the Balkans, where they brought in lots of settlers to establish their administration. The long-term effect of this ethnic and cultural mishmash eventually proved to be an explosive mix that created conflict in the region for centuries.
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer

Post by voigt1240 »

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/10/ ... nia-a71892

Russia has set up a small outpost near Tegh, which despite its size would deter Azerbaijan from expanding its offensive into Armenian territory
while it currently just consists of tents and Russian flags, the location is important due to the proximity to the Lachin pass that connects Nagorno-Karabakh to Armenia which has seen advances by Azerbaijani forces in recent days.

Though it might not be much it's one of Russias first visible aids to Armenia. it would deter Azerbaijani forces from Armenia proper. if they decided to advance further than the goal of Nagorno-Karabakh, which is probably unlikely.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

cCc
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

This comes after Azerbaijan accidentally shot down a Russian helicopter this morning which killed 2 Russian servicemembers. Predictably, it seems Russia has stepped in to end this war.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Seems the people aren't inclined to be a part of one of Putin's schemes.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I guess they are correctly sensing that Putin's days are numbered.