Death penalty

Place open for new posts ā€” threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.

Is there any situation where the death penalty is right?

Yes, there are many situations
32%
Yes, for the likes of Hitler
12%
No, never
56%

Total votes: 66

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Death penalty

Post by gibson »

Today the man who killed 12 people and injured 70 at the Dark Knight rises premiere was sentenced. Many of the jury wanted to hand down the death penalty, but due to one holdout he was sentenced to life in prison without parole. I have always been against the death penalty, but atrocities like this cause me to really think about it. Can someone commit a crime so awful that he or she has started on the path of no return and deserves to die? What do you guys think?
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Death penalty

Post by Mimsy for President »

No, never. It's not humiliating nor cruel enough, I would rather send him to Guantanamo Bay.

By the way, do you have to be muslim to be considered a terrorist ?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Death penalty

Post by gibson »

shaolinstar wrote:No, never. It''s not humiliating nor cruel enough, I would rather send him to Guantanamo Bay.

what do you mean it''s not humiliating and cruel enough? So would you say the death penalty is deserving for someone who has committed a less crime then this particular guy?

And no you don''t have to be Muslim to be a terrorist
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Death penalty

Post by Mimsy for President »

gibson wrote:
shaolinstar wrote:[face=comic sans ms" size="7]No, neer.[/face] Its not humiliating nor cruel enough, I would rather send him to Guantanamo Bay.

what do you mean its not humiliating and cruel enough? So would you say the death penalty is deserving for someone who has committed a less crime then this particular guy?

And no you dont have to be Muslim to be a terrorist
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Death penalty

Post by Jaeger »

I cant say for sure if im for or against it but i do like the needing an unanimous vote thing
last time i cryed was because i stood on Legoļ»æ
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Death penalty

Post by Jam »

Dying is forever. :)
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Death penalty

Post by thebritish »

method wrote:Only the worst ppl in the world deserve the death penalty, I''m talking real bad, people like moesbar, and the los cheaters
lol :w00t:
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
No Flag Chordarn
Crossbow

Death penalty

Post by Chordarn »

I feel like the death penalty is acceptable if they have committed mass murder.
No Flag Jocroy
Musketeer

Death penalty

Post by Jocroy »

How can humans ever willingly decide to kill another human being? Everyone deserves to live and probably regret his crimes. Furthermore you can never truly eliminate the chance of false conviction, even in the US there are dozens of examples. At least death penalty for minors was abolished in 2005.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Death penalty

Post by zoom »

Whether someone "is on a path to no return" or "deserves to die" is completely irrelevant, because killing is wrong. It's that simple. How does more killing make killing better anyway??

Edit: I have always thought that serious criminals should be made to work with suitable tasks so that they may pay their victims and the state. It shouldn't be too difficult to organize certain labor in civilized prison systems.
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Death penalty

Post by _venox_ »

Pain and torture is worse after a specific degree than to die but it costs the state more. Being in prison for the rest of your life is torture in a way, especially if you can't really do anything. I guess you could become insane and the time nags at your brain, so better let mass murderers rott in prison for the rest of their lives without a way to pass time.
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
No Flag ssaraf
Dragoon
ESO: robinhood_xing

Death penalty

Post by ssaraf »

Yes , in many situations , coz the world is full of ruthless people who deserve to die. Also, if you take lives (intentionally, like mass murders, terrorists etc) , you deserve to die, its that simple.

Also, fuk all the 9 ppl who said "NO" , you have not seen barbarism ( fuck ISIS), not lost lives of dear ones due to these bastards, or u cant feel the pain of others. There shouldn't even be a 3rd option in the POLL.

SO MUCH RAGE.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Death penalty

Post by Goodspeed »

If our justice system was perfect, sure. But as is, the odds are too high of people getting sentenced to death while innocent.
For the likes of hitler, sure. Then again you could ask yourself what the worst punishment is for someone like that.. I don't think he'd have a good time in a max security prison.
No Flag Jocroy
Musketeer

Death penalty

Post by Jocroy »

There is so much hate in the world, I just cannot see how killing is going to solve the problems we have. I am so lucky as to not having lost family members to crualies or terror, but in my clouded sight I do not think that revenge is ever a good idea, and what else is death penalty really. Killing in war or defense is another story I do not want to discuss, but noone should have the power do decide whether another human dies or lives, noone has the authority do do so. So for me, at least the first option should not be there.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Death penalty

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

drlegend wrote:It should be used for a lot more crimes and used much more often.

>people should not take their morality from the government
>the government should impose its morality on the people

By the way, I don''t think you ever told us where you got your morality from' is it religion or the government? You don''t strike me as someone religious, so I can only assume it must be the latter.
No Flag ssaraf
Dragoon

Death penalty

Post by ssaraf »

@sircallen : I tell you, its not mere vengeance , these ppl are very powerful and relentless, they will somehow get released/(escape) from prison etc and then go on killing a bunch again. Now you tell me if u were the judge and u gave that guy "LIFETIME IMPRISONMENT" instead of "DEATH" , what u will say to those family members this time??

Saying that "Death is too much of a punishment" is like being bookish and philosophical, does not apply to today's real and cruel world.

I don't know a lot about judiciary systems all over the world, but in most places, a person is given a Death penalty in very severe cases only and only if, all crimes are proven.
No Flag Jocroy
Musketeer

Death penalty

Post by Jocroy »

Most democratic and developed countries have abolished death penalty. And as I said, in the US there is a disturbingly high number of misconvictions.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Death penalty

Post by deleted_user0 »

Yes. Why shouldn't realiably identified Serial Killers or ISIS leaders be sentenced to death penalty?
If they are ready to take hundreds of innocent human souls down, it's justice to take theirs.

Lifetime imprisonment is just waste of society resources and as bad as death penalty to sentenced person.
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Death penalty

Post by _venox_ »

Is death really the bigger punishment than torture and pain, psychological or physical?
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
No Flag Jocroy
Musketeer

Death penalty

Post by Jocroy »

If I am not mistaken death penalty is even more expensive than live imprisonment in the US.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Death penalty

Post by Goodspeed »

frycookofdoom wrote:
drlegend wrote:It should be used for a lot more crimes and used much more often.
>'people should not take their morality from the government
>'the government should impose its morality on the people

By the way, I dont think you ever told us where you got your morality from' is it religion or the government? You dont strike me as someone religious, so I can only assume it must be the latter.

Dragon is religious, he doesnt mention it often because deep down he knows its bullshit.

(:))
No Flag ssaraf
Dragoon

Death penalty

Post by ssaraf »

jocroy wrote:If I am not mistaken death penalty is even more expensive than live imprisonment in the US.

How is that even possible ???
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Death penalty

Post by Jaeger »

In the U.S. the people who actually do the killing get paid $50 per execution.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Legoļ»æ