[Mod] Napoleonic Era 2.1.7b, works with Steam & ESO

Here you can post about your scenario's, mods, custom maps and YouTube channels!

What's you?

I know and love it
43%
I know and like it
17%
I know and dislike it
7%
I didn't know it but will try
22%
I didn't know it and won't try
11%

Total votes: 82

Germany tilanus
Retired Contributor

Post by tilanus »

Hey ESOCerz! 8-) Some time ago we released version Napoleonic Era 2.1.7b for Windows & Mac and we'd love you guys to give it a try and tell us your kind feedback as the great online players that you (hopefully :D) are. With the next version NE 2.2 we'll be trying to balance this game for multiplayer and well-known people like Edeholland, Mitoe and Cohenski have already been contributing valuable suggestions to achieve this goal. So while some people might already know me or the Napoleonic Era mod, this post is primarily for those who don't, but of course you can also just use this thread for questions, feedbacks and other discussions. ;)

About
Napoleonic Era is and has been one of the most popular mods for Age of Empires III and its expansions for over 8 years (founded in 2006). In 2014 we still managed to rank among the top100 mods of the year on ModDB.
It greatly expands and reworks the game with new units, buildings, maps, sounds, music, civilizations and a better AI. The Napoleonic Wars were chosen as the mod's theme because these count to the most influential military events during the time period of Age of Empires III, which did not cover Europe, Africa and Western Asia as historical spheres of interest.

New civilizations
The expansion mod adds 7 new and reworks 2 old civilizations with unique units, techs, politicians, AI personalities, unit sounds and homecities:
  • Americans
  • Austrians
  • French (reworked)
  • Germans (reworked)
  • Italians
  • Polish
  • Prussians
  • Swedish
  • Swiss
  • Danish (coming in NE 2.2)
  • Persians (coming in NE 2.2)
Image Image Image Image Image Image

New maps
Napoleonic Era comes with over 20 new random maps, for example:
  • Alps
  • Rhine
  • Black Forest
  • Malta
  • Finland
  • Sahara
  • Barbary Coast
  • Nile Flood
  • Syrian Desert
  • ..and more!

New natives
The new maps received new minor civs like:
  • Bavarians
  • Barbary Pirates
  • Egyptians
  • Finns
  • Mongols
  • Maltese
  • Tuareg
  • Wurttembergers
  • Westphalians
Image Image Image Image

Unique units
Napoleonic Era adds plenty of new unique units to the game such as:
  • Death Head Hussar (Prussia)
  • Mounted Rifleman (United States)
  • Line Infantry (Austria)
  • Grognard (French)
  • Swiss Guard (Swiss)
  • Marine (United States)
  • Chasseur (French)
  • Grenzer (Austria)
  • Lange Kerls (Prussia)
  • Drabant (Sweden)
  • Azap (Ottomans)
  • Merchant (Italy)
  • Pancerny (Poland)
  • and many more ..

Shared units
There also new units that are shared with many civs like:
  • Chevauxleger
  • Sharpshooter
  • Fusilier
  • Swashbuckler
  • Conscript
  • Hand Cannoneer
  • Sapper
Image Image Image

New gameplay elements
  • Better AI - Our AI works with the new content, is much harder and bases on the popular Draugur AI developed for the original game
  • University - Building offering powerful unique technologies and late game units
  • Expanded Arsenal - Arsenal offers now more military updates for more unit types
  • Expanded Saloon - Activities like gambling, whoring and drinking benefit Saloons and mercenaries
  • Unit abilities - New and old units like Explorers, Marines or Nuncios received new unique abilities
  • Late game units - Expensive, powerful units that can turn the tide of battle
  • Ultimate techs - Each civ is now granted 2-3 powerful special techs
  • Wild cards - The new civs can now play card games in the Saloon and win civ-specific prices ranging from resource crates to military units
[url]Image
Requirements
Napoleonic Era 2.1.7b requires:
  • Age of Empires III
  • The WarChiefs (Expansion) + latest patch
  • The Asian Dynasties (Expansion) + latest patch
OR
  • Age of Empires III Complete Collection
Installation
Napoleonic Era 2.1.7b is available for Windows and Mac OS X can be installed with our beautiful automatic installers. Napoleonic Era also works with Steam. If you'd like to uninstall NE at a later point, please use the uninstaller.

Important: You can install NE 2.1.7b over your NE only if you did not install versions earlier than NE 2.1.6. Otherwise please install NE over an umodded and patched AoE3.

Special feature: Our unique file system allows seamless switching between Napoleonic Era and the original game and supports ESO2 for both, no uninstall required! Simply click either the NE or AoE3 desktop icons to choose your game.

Multiplayer
If you want to play against other NE players, you can join this NE Online Group on Facebook and ask for matches. Napoleonic Era works with GameRanger, Hamachi and also ESO. Homecities created with either Napoleonic Era or The Asian Dynasties should never be used in the other game though, otherwise progress might get lost. We recommend you to give your Homecities special names to separate them (i.e. NE Berlin or TAD London).

Download
You can download NE 2.1.7b and read the updated release notes on our downloads page:

(click to open download page)

Contact
You can get in contact with us and receive the latest mod news on our official website and our channels on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and ModDB.

Thanks for your attention!

The NE Team
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

This project is truly incredible
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Some people in the french community had some problems with this mod.
After using that, they couldn t join eso anymore.
Do not use this shit!
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

diarouga wrote:Some people in the french community had some problems with this mod.
After using that, they couldn t join eso anymore.
Do not use this shit!

Well they should still be able to get on ESO. If you''re on NE tho you can''t join regular games, you can only join NE games. You just load up the original if you want to play regular games ? The install + launcher couldn''t be any simpler.

I''ve had many versions of NE in the past (including the current one) and have not had any problems.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Few people had a problem, do what you want, I just tell you.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I run into a lot of barely educated nurses at my job. Let me tell you, the fact that some people are too incompetent to use something doesn't make it a shitty product.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

calmyourtits wrote:I run into a lot of barely educated nurses at my job. Let me tell you, the fact that some people are too incompetent to use something doesn''t make it a shitty product.
That isn t a joke.
These people knew how to use it, they tried to delete NE''s files, even to reinstall the game.
But if you don t believe me, install it, it doesn t kill your game each time.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

diarouga wrote:
calmyourtits wrote:I run into a lot of barely educated nurses at my job. Let me tell you, the fact that some people are too incompetent to use something doesnt make it a shitty product.
That isn t a joke.
These people knew how to use it, they tried to delete NEs files, even to reinstall the game.
But if you don t believe me, install it, it doesn t kill your game each time.
There are many of us who have played and had no issues.
Canada DivineFire
Lancer

Post by DivineFire »

Should add an "I know it and haven't gotten around to it" lol
Taunt 3
Germany tilanus
Retired Contributor

Post by tilanus »

diarouga, while there is always a small percentage of people having issues with every product - no matter if official or inofficial - I think you're being quite disrespectful to us makers by simply calling our hard work which we offer everyone for free "shit". I don't know if you'd be willing to help anyone who's having issues with something you made and calls it like that.

Anyway, NE is known not to work well with pirated games. It also doesn't work well if you didn't follow the clear installation and multiplayer instructions given in this article. This basically breaks down to a) not having installed all patches, b) having installed 2.1.7b over a version before 2.1.6, c) using TAD HCs in NE or d) not having used the provided uninstaller, but deleting the files manually. So if it's not caused by any of these self-fixable reasons, these frenchmen of yours could just get in contact with us for support instead of badmouthing the product as a whole. And it's all for free, mate, none of you has ever paid for this. Not for the product, not for all the years we spent working on it while you were possibly gaming and not for the free support.
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

Is there any pvp video ? I've seen only vs CPU so far :/
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah
ESO: ivanelterrible

Post by Good ol Ivan »

NE is pretty amazing and its unbelievable you guys are still working on it - it's nice to learn after so many years that you keep working on new content! I really appreciate all the work you guys have put into it. I got kind of tired of AoE3, but if I ever play it again I first check if there's anyone active on NE to play with - and only then I switch to TAD. Its so broad - and there's so much space for new creative builds. I wanted to thank you all for all the hard work!
Hell, NE feels more complete and content-worthy than TWC or TAD by themselves.

I have played about 7~ different versions of NE and I had few issues with NE so far - mostly apparent compatibility issues from oos - also playing was kind of complicated back when NE had hotfixes, I usually had the latest hotfix and I had to convince other folk on NE to install them.
Would be real nice if you could specify which other reasonably popular mods for AoE3 are compatible with NE.
No Flag cohiba1982
Crossbow

Post by cohiba1982 »

Are there other Mods out there that are safe to use? This one looks really cool and I am very happy to see people out there making stuff like this but I love the game the way it is I just want more maps to play on I downloaded the tourny map pack but they are only 1v1. Does anyone know where there are multi-player map packs out there that are safe to download?
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

jutlander wrote:Musketeer is now making a thing called The throne room for the Wars of Liberty mod, which will allow you to keep safe copies of the original game if you have mods installed (In its final version, I think, you can have WoL, Napoleonic era and Knights and barbarians).
In fact you could have anything you want. It will automatically detect and provide names &' icons for those mods, as well as vanilla, but if you have another folder of whatever it will detect the folder and you can give it a displayname and icon.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

jutlander wrote:You should do a presentation for WoL as well :X
That might wait until release, I think it would be better timed to make a big post and say "and you can download it right now!".

Additionally I''m not a big fan of Gamma and making the post say " our next version has all these cool things!" and then at the end of the post say "but here''s a sub par mod you can download for now".
Germany tilanus
Retired Contributor

Post by tilanus »

shaolinstar wrote:Is there any pvp video ? Ive seen only vs CPU so far :/
I know one, but it isnt really good. You may get an impression of NE strats in our Balance &' Strategies forum though.

cohiba1982 wrote:Are there other Mods out there that are safe to use? This one looks really cool and I am very happy to see people out there making stuff like this but I love the game the way it is I just want more maps to play on I downloaded the tourny map pack but they are only 1v1. Does anyone know where there are multi-player map packs out there that are safe to download?
Depends on what you mean with safe to use. I think NE is the only mod, after FanPatch, that doesnt touch the original games files. All other mods tend to overwrite original files and thus bear the risk of forcing you to reinstall (if you didnt make a backup). AoE3 Heavengames is the place that has various types of mods and maps available for download - often with ambivalent quality though. Here is the map download section of HG, so you can have a look yourself. Id recommend downloading the already popular fan-made maps though like Mosquito Coast by Neuron, the maps by Garja or anything you can find from AOE_Fan or RF_Gandalf. :)

@ivan: Thanks a lot for the kind words. :)
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

tilanus wrote:
shaolinstar wrote:Is there any pvp video ? Ive seen only vs CPU so far :/
I know one, but it isnt really good. You may get an impression of NE strats in our Balance &' Strategies forum though.
Good or bad, its still better than playing vs computer :)
Btw that picture is awesome. Tuareg (Egyptians ?) look badass. My new fav civ.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/23VAVgu.png[/img]
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by bart331 »

Looks epic, can i find ppl on eso to try this?
Germany tilanus
Retired Contributor

Post by tilanus »

bart331 wrote:Looks epic, can i find ppl on eso to try this?
Yeah, you can, but since its a mod, I always recommend to find some players in the official NE online group on Facebook.

@shaolinstar: While the mod does have Egyptian and Tuareg natives, this screenshot is basically a mashup of content from various civs. The units in south are without exception all (new) treasure guardians though which appear on maps based in the Middle East or North Africa. :)
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Bart, msg me on ESO or skype if you want some games, I've got the latest version of NE.

Btw that screen shot looks amazing. Really nice work on the camels.
Denmark crjensen4
Dragoon
Donator 07
ESO: crjensen4

Post by crjensen4 »

@Tilanus - I see you may be adding in Denmark - let me know if you need some Taunts etc in Danish - Ill be happy to assist
Germany tilanus
Retired Contributor

Post by tilanus »

crjensen4 wrote:@tilanus - I see you may be adding in Denmark - let me know if you need some Taunts etc in Danish - Ill be happy to assist
In fact we got someone to prepare the recording texts for us already, but we still have 0 recordings. So Id be happy if you could send me a voice sample as described in the in our instructions for voice artists in our recruiment thread. 8-) Hoveder vil rulle! :D