[Work-in-progress] Spectator UI 2.0

Here you can post about your scenario's, mods, custom maps and YouTube channels!
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

Can I have some hype please.[img style="max-width:100%'" src="http://imgur.com/e9ljPFh" alt=""]

[img style="max-width:100%'" alt="" src="http://i.imgur.com/e9ljPFh.jpg"]

Initially will only be available in 1280x800 (my laptop's resolution) until I extend it to 1920x1080.
oranges.
No Flag nazz121
Musketeer

Post by nazz121 »

ohh hell yissss!
Nice work! Can't wait to see this put to use :DDDD
No Flag purplesquid
Dragoon
Donator 03

Post by purplesquid »

Absolutely stunning as always.

One question, in 2.0 will the scoreboard always be on the correct side? The only thing that sometimes throws me off is when a player is in the left side of the map but their stats are on the right side (or vise-versa).
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by bart331 »

Awesome
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

Question how is it possible to have 23/22 cards in deck
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by bart331 »

iamsoldier wrote:Question how is it possible to have 23/22 cards in deck
cowhax....
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player

Post by Aizamk »

purplesquid wrote:Absolutely stunning as always.

One question, in 2.0 will the scoreboard always be on the correct side? The only thing that sometimes throws me off is when a player is in the left side of the map but their stats are on the right side (or vise-versa).

Yep, this time round it uses some mathematics to figure out who is in what location to adjust things suitably.

For the 23/22 cards, just have to be a dirty cheating expert bot.
oranges.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

What's with the red icons?
Image Image Image
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player

Post by Aizamk »

Colour-coding for units lost. That feature still hasn't been completely sorted out yet, so it counts things such as crates, travois 'lost' when consumed.
oranges.
Netherlands Veni_Vidi_Vici_W
Lancer
ESO: ramex19

Post by Veni_Vidi_Vici_W »

nice aiz (as always ye :))

I like the red vs blue bar easy for quick look at the difference. that stat (milt/eco) is too much in the way though of things happening in game, at this current position, so i assume this is just showcasing
i like also the more space on bottom, i assume that goes for all, so for cards comparing over longer time?
i also like really the dropdown thing which make switching easier
I dont like you bashing poor elizabeth with iro
Age Of Empires 3 Videos - GamePlay, Commentary & Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/venividiviciw
Age Of Empires 3 Live Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/venividivici_w
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Comparing things to the previous observer mod, how do you see things like techs/ships in this one?

For the lower bar, what if a player has more units than fit across in the UI?
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player

Post by Aizamk »

musketeer925 wrote:Comparing things to the previous observer mod, how do you see things like techs/ships in this one?

For the lower bar, what if a player has more units than fit across in the UI?

Techs/Ships will still be processed in the lower UI. You''d be able to switch between different settings, e.g. full view of all techs, or split view of techs/shipments etc. Scrolling will work by clicking on the left-most or right-most icon in a set, though I still havent figured out the framework for this.

In essence it''ll be the tabs system in a different format with a bit more flexibility. Also I''ve set up some stuff which would let it work with 2v2 obs maps, though I still need to sort out the layout, since for e.g. there''s no space in the bottom for four resource lines, at least in 1280x800. There''s also the issue of spacing out the updates since theres twice as many calculations to be done.

Everything is now fed in via text rather than toggling independent gadgets on/off. This comes with a few advantages and disadvantages:

Main advantage: Postgame can now be accessed since the uimainnew.xml file is projected to be 95% smaller than it previously was.

Disadvantages: Not as easy to extend to different resolutions. Also I have yet to create 1000- new ddt files to represent the different shipments, as those need to have numbers showing which the base images do not have.

@veni: I still havent figured out what to do with the mil pop/eco pop graphic, but it''s movable in-game for now.
oranges.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player

Post by Aizamk »

For this screenshot I've temporarily made it so that the lower UI is ordered as follows:
(for player 2)

8 slots for all units, 3 for units in queue, 3 for units lost,
5 slots for techs in queue (perhaps I'll need to get a better design for the progression bars), 5 for techs completed (note it currently shows pre-researched techs e.g. techs granting saloon units, to be removed), and 4 for shipments (note that the 3 settler shipment has no number there).

[img]http://i.imgur.com/U3VTa80.jpg" style="max-width:100%'" alt=""]

Next step is to create the dividers for different sections.
oranges.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

That's LOT of work. Big thanks for this, really.
Image Image Image
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Hmm, it would be very easy for me to create a python script that gets the .DDTs, runs them through file converter to a .TGA, overlays the number text from homecity files, saves, and converts back, if you would like me to.
Netherlands Veni_Vidi_Vici_W
Lancer
ESO: ramex19

Post by Veni_Vidi_Vici_W »

Ok Aiz,

and
There's also the issue of spacing out the updates since theres twice as many calculations to be done.
you worried about it affecting lagg as it is now?

Also regarding your last screenshot, that is indeed a lot of info at one? if it all auto-updates, it makes it all heavier? Then its better to work with tabs and just see like 1-2 more shipment cards for example than constantly so much info (and updated)?
Age Of Empires 3 Videos - GamePlay, Commentary & Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/venividiviciw
Age Of Empires 3 Live Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/venividivici_w
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player

Post by Aizamk »

musketeer925 wrote:Hmm, it would be very easy for me to create a python script that gets the .DDTs, runs them through file converter to a .TGA, overlays the number text from homecity files, saves, and converts back, if you would like me to.

That would be extremely helpful. I wasn''t aware that the number text was saved somewhere in the homecity files though, I''ve kind of been adding together numbers from the techtreey.

My programming experience is actually pretty limited, so the numbers that I DO currently have saved are a mixture of automatic extraction and manual edits. I could compile a spreadsheet for you (manually) if that would be useful. It would have:

techid,imagepath,number,resource

as is currently stored in my RMS,

where applicable.

The plan was that each image would be saved as the TK_<'techid>'.ddt for e.g. TK_2500.ddt
oranges.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player

Post by Aizamk »

venividivici wrote:Ok Aiz,

and
There''s also the issue of spacing out the updates since theres twice as many calculations to be done.
you worried about it affecting lagg as it is now?

Also regarding your last screenshot, that is indeed a lot of info at one? if it all auto-updates, it makes it all heavier? Then its better to work with tabs and just see like 1-2 more shipment cards for example than constantly so much info (and updated)?

So long as the updates are staggered, it shouldn''t be a problem.
(read: so long as I get it to work in a way that doesn''t cause my laptop to lag, then your godly pcs should be able to handle it).

Anyway, lag shouldn''t be an issue if I extend the UI to post-recorded game casting (to be done later).

EDIT for clarity:

Currently how it works now is three stages:
1) A function for each display type that runs through every tech (or possible unit being trained for e.g.) and updates an array for each player e.g. player 1''s techs. This is the main thing, can take for e.g. 2000 checks for techs, 500 or so for unit types.

2) A function that simply takes the values from the array and displays the appropriate graphic. Has to do this 14+14 times.

3) A function that only considers the visible ones, for e.g. sees that there is a unitid in slot 1, and a particular player id, then gets the unit count for that player id. Has to do this 14+14 times.

As you can see, the first step is the more resource intensive one. However, 2) and 3) can act independently of 1), i.e. 1) does not have to be up-to-date and there is room for a time lag. So for e.g. instead of counting 2000 techs for all players in 1 second, I could do 2000 for player 1 in every even second, and 2000 for player 2 every odd second.
oranges.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player

Post by Aizamk »

neuron wrote:If the two queues on the bottom are for each player, why don''t you place the HC flags right at the start of the player queues and so have more screen space for observing?

Ideally a UI must not get in the way of viewing more game action, rather than stats. Stats can be all compressed on the lower panel. You don''t need huge flags to check the HCs or see which civs players are. Even the TAD flags are smaller in the minimised UI.

Limited by design. The text inputs for both the HC flags at the top and the images at the bottom are linked- they use the same gadget, which has center-justified text alignment. As such it''s difficult to go about repositioning them. Also putting them down there wouldn''t work for 2v2.

The design for homecity flags is kind of a remnant of what I had sorted out a few months ago. Screenshot below may give you some kind of idea:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/2f23QPJ.jpg" alt="[/img]

The original idea was to have a scoreboard similar to the default, but replacing the default (with the addition of resources). That idea got scrapped this week in order to accommodate the new design.

(well, not exactly scrapped, I''ll probably still be using those but just repositioned at the bottom)
oranges.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player

Post by Aizamk »

neuron wrote:Which players'' stats are in the bottom queues in the 2v2? Don''t you need 4 queues to see them in parallel?

I get what you''re saying, placing the flags down there means re-working the coordinates for all the stuff on the bottom. But having the flags up there plus the bottom panel covers 40% of the screen.

Yep, it would be split up into 4 sections. I havent gotten round to sorting that out, the 1v1 design has to be finalized first.

Could be for e.g. (Team.Player)

1.1 1.2
2.1 2.2

or

1.1 2.1
1.2 2.2

Also it''s not just an issue of reworking coordinates- like I said, everything is fed in via text, so some designs are simply impossible to use.

It''s a lot easier to decrease the height of the flags, however, and perhaps remove the names in favour of a horizontal bar in the correct colour for identification.
oranges.