Search found 13337 matches

by momuuu
07 Nov 2018, 23:16
Forum: General
Topic: Rewarding Aggressive Play
Replies: 112
Views: 2477
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Rewarding Aggressive Play

I was just adding to your point that the depth of the game is low. It is true, but I'd say it's because of the lack of more units and because of the winning condition which requires to kill units instead of buildings. I made a comparison with other games, where numbers are not so important and ther...
by momuuu
07 Nov 2018, 23:04
Forum: General
Topic: Pull" Trick" discussion
Replies: 269
Views: 4501
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Pull" Trick" discussion

Everyone seems to be focusing on the fact that it takes (a Small amount of) skill. Thats not relevant. The fact is its an unintended effect(so a bug) of a game mechanic. Lot's of RTS classics like starcraft have had many unitended effects become well liked features, e.g muta stacking, lurker hold, ...
by momuuu
07 Nov 2018, 22:40
Forum: General
Topic: What is the type of playstyle you want to see/play the most?
Replies: 26
Views: 590
Flag: Netherlands

Re: What is the type of playstyle you want to see/play the most?

zoom wrote:Neither. I want diversity. As Goodspeed has pointed out a few dozen times, though, a developed meta gravitates toward relative greed and late-game play.

This is absolute bullshit though. A meta gravitates towards what is best. If aggression is best the meta will be aggressive.
by momuuu
07 Nov 2018, 22:37
Forum: ESOC Talk
Topic: Some statistics on ESOC users
Replies: 113
Views: 2591
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Some statistics on ESOC users

HUMMAN wrote:" best "post length" average"

I wonder Jerom multiples second by which ratio, 3, 5, 10?

I wanna see this too. Some low post account probably wrote one introduction post or sth though.
by momuuu
07 Nov 2018, 22:19
Forum: General
Topic: Pull" Trick" discussion
Replies: 269
Views: 4501
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Pull" Trick" discussion

The fact that a maximum velocity was coded doesnt mean it was intended to be used like this. Imo its still a glitch, as Id expect it is unintended behaviour to actually have units move much faster than coded. I'm confused, you seem to both acknowledge and un-acknowledge that these values were coded...
by momuuu
07 Nov 2018, 22:03
Forum: General
Topic: Pull" Trick" discussion
Replies: 269
Views: 4501
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Pull" Trick" discussion

The fact that a maximum velocity was coded doesnt mean it was intended to be used like this. Imo its still a glitch, as Id expect it is unintended behaviour to actually have units move much faster than coded.
by momuuu
07 Nov 2018, 19:50
Forum: General
Topic: Would you like a winter or spring tournament?
Replies: 74
Views: 1395
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Would you like a winter or spring tournament?

Interjection wrote:
momuuu wrote:I want more games like in ro8 onward. Real high level gameplay.


Seems like we need a league for that, rather than a tournament

Or another invitational? Content wise that was great imo. Media team jumped the gun on saying that didn't work imo.
by momuuu
07 Nov 2018, 17:39
Forum: General
Topic: Would you like a winter or spring tournament?
Replies: 74
Views: 1395
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Would you like a winter or spring tournament?

I want more games like in ro8 onward. Real high level gameplay.
by momuuu
07 Nov 2018, 16:32
Forum: General
Topic: Rewarding Aggressive Play
Replies: 112
Views: 2477
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Rewarding Aggressive Play

it is not trivial. Given equal factors a mild lead in army pop doesn't imply one player is likely to win. This is because of the defender advantage which requires the army lead to be > than a certain point in order to promote the win. Any eco advantage is instead very relevant in aoe3 because it in...
by momuuu
07 Nov 2018, 14:29
Forum: General
Topic: Rewarding Aggressive Play
Replies: 112
Views: 2477
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Rewarding Aggressive Play

The game is not always short term oriented, that's my point. It is true that who stays on natural res for longer wins, but in aoe3 is very likely to split resources on the map equally, at least on EP. Then whoever has more eco potential just wins because can switch to infinite resources with more e...
by momuuu
06 Nov 2018, 14:15
Forum: General
Topic: Rewarding Aggressive Play
Replies: 112
Views: 2477
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Rewarding Aggressive Play

Compared to other games, in aoe3 you can actually carry on an eco advantage forever thanks to mills and plants (especially the latter). This is why, given equal other factors, whoever has an eco lead is very likely to win. However the lip to mills and plants is often too big so who lasts longer on ...
by momuuu
06 Nov 2018, 14:00
Forum: General
Topic: Fattening and Decay Rate
Replies: 58
Views: 884
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Fattening and Decay Rate

The gathering rate from livestock is almost irrelevant in supremacy. What really makes the difference is the fattening rate. If you eat livestock you spare food anyway, don't need to gather it faster. Honestly, this is just incorrect. Increasing the gathering rate has a serious effect on the profit...
by momuuu
06 Nov 2018, 13:17
Forum: General
Topic: Rewarding Aggressive Play
Replies: 112
Views: 2477
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Rewarding Aggressive Play

Thats why I think it would be better to restart the process from scratch. Instead of simply balancing stuff, one should define or set a norm for the pace of the game, and then start balancing around that. If a civ is too slow for the pace, you make them faster/sturdier, if a civ is too fast you ner...
by momuuu
06 Nov 2018, 13:04
Forum: Real-life Discussion
Topic: Do you believe in the supernatural?
Replies: 11
Views: 122
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Do you believe in the supernatural?

I detest the logical implications of the supernatural more than whatever the supernatural would be. The notion of saying 'I can't explain this properly so it's some sort of magic' is something I abhor. If you'd be saying you think there might be some natural but complicated correlation between these...
by momuuu
06 Nov 2018, 12:54
Forum: General
Topic: Rewarding Aggressive Play
Replies: 112
Views: 2477
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Rewarding Aggressive Play

In my opinion it would be very complicated to take the current iteration of EP and just start changing things around to make aggressive play viable. I think it might be better to simply start all over again. EP set out to try to not actually change design. The logic, as far as I understand it, was t...
by momuuu
06 Nov 2018, 12:45
Forum: General
Topic: Rewarding Aggressive Play
Replies: 112
Views: 2477
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Rewarding Aggressive Play

if we want a more aggressive patch, lets just fire goodspeed and hire sumppu and look tom in his place. Jokes aside, firing goodspeed would be a serious first step. Given that he is basically the entire patch team right now and consciously or subconsciously slightly favors defensive play imo. You r...
by momuuu
05 Nov 2018, 20:23
Forum: General
Topic: Rewarding Aggressive Play
Replies: 112
Views: 2477
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Rewarding Aggressive Play

lemmings121 wrote:if we want a more aggressive patch, lets just fire goodspeed and hire sumppu and look tom in his place.

Jokes aside, firing goodspeed would be a serious first step. Given that he is basically the entire patch team right now and consciously or subconsciously slightly favors defensive play imo.
by momuuu
05 Nov 2018, 15:30
Forum: General
Topic: Fattening and Decay Rate
Replies: 58
Views: 884
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Fattening and Decay Rate

Actually, about buffing cards: British actually have "Fulling mills" which increases the herding gathering rate by 300% ! If you ship that you're actually getting a 300/100 * ( 1 - 1/6 ) = 3 * 5/6 = 15/6 = 2.5 profit rates for sheep. In other words, every 1 food invested gives you 2.5 food...
by momuuu
05 Nov 2018, 14:53
Forum: General
Topic: Fattening and Decay Rate
Replies: 58
Views: 884
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Fattening and Decay Rate

This is the general formula for profit: [profit] = [fmax] - [fmax] * [huntgatheringrate]/[herdablegatheringrate] - [herdablecost] which can be rewritten, using gatheringfraction instead of huntgatheringrate/herdablegatheringrate, as: [profit] = [fmax] * (1 - [gatheringfraction]) - [herdablecost] In ...
by momuuu
05 Nov 2018, 14:37
Forum: General
Topic: Fattening and Decay Rate
Replies: 58
Views: 884
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Fattening and Decay Rate

The best improvement for livestock is the ranching card. Cows only cost 80f and give 500f, so if you would make 3 cows (vs 5 sheep), you would get 1500 food of herdables for only 240f investment. With sheep, compared to hunting and taking a ~100f delay into account, you would gather 700 food more th...
by momuuu
05 Nov 2018, 14:23
Forum: General
Topic: Fattening and Decay Rate
Replies: 58
Views: 884
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Fattening and Decay Rate

u216 you need to actually calculate how much more food you get when gathering livestock compared to normal food, and then look at how much 'profit' livestock gave you by subtracting the investment cost. Thats the most relevant number. The problem with actually using or buffing cards is that it stil...
by momuuu
04 Nov 2018, 23:17
Forum: ESOC Patch Discussion
Topic: Grenadier Buff?
Replies: 30
Views: 686
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Grenadier Buff?

I think their slow animation doenst underline their main weakness, it IS their main weakness. In straight up fights well microed grenadiers perform great. In occasional trolling that Ive done I have always been amazed by their performance. At some critical mass they become very deadly once theyre ac...
by momuuu
04 Nov 2018, 21:07
Forum: ESOC Patch Discussion
Topic: Grenadier Buff?
Replies: 30
Views: 686
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Grenadier Buff?

Be careful with what you wish for. Grenadiers have more potential than you might think. Their problem isn't actually the damage or hitpoints or their tags, the problem is that grens have terrible range and probably the worst animation in the game. Trying to fight anything with range is just impossib...
by momuuu
02 Nov 2018, 15:59
Forum: General
Topic: Fattening and Decay Rate
Replies: 58
Views: 884
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Fattening and Decay Rate

dunno, if you get livestock for free, it's ok to reinvest, I feel. often if I get for example 7 sheep, I eat the sheep and then I reinvest 500f of that 2100 food I get from the sheep into 5 new sheep. and keep it going like that. but yeah, as making that your main food income, you definitely need c...
by momuuu
02 Nov 2018, 15:05
Forum: General
Topic: Fattening and Decay Rate
Replies: 58
Views: 884
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Fattening and Decay Rate

I dont think livestock booming ends up being worth it at all if you dont go for cards. At best its a bad eco investment, at worst I think you dont even get profit.

Go to advanced search