AOE4 Pricing

General forum about Age of Empires 4.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

AOE4 Pricing

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Age of Empires IV launching October 28th Xbox Game Pass for PC, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, Windows 10, and Steam, available for Pre-order Now!

Microsoft Store: https://www.ageofempires.com/news/aoeiv-preorder-now
Steam:

Minimum System Requirements for aoe4:
It's actually low as you can see

Minimum AOE2 DE System Requirement:

Minimum AOE3 DE System Requirement:

So as you can see the pre-order price is 60$ USD for aoe4 kinda seems ridiculous pricing? idk how this is going to work ,if they are going to be dlcs then it should be free else i don't know how this works.

They been making this game for 6 years from the announcement of aoe4 .....is it worth the hype?? for 60$ i think people might prefer to buy an AAA game instead of aoe4 ...how will they achieve competitive esports in this? is this an overhyped game ? a disaster like Cyberpunk 2077?

Discuss about this and your thoughts on how this strategy by MS will work out or critic as you wish.
:nwc:
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: AOE4 Pricing

Post by gibson »

60$ for a game that will suck on release
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

Seems reasonable
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

gibson wrote:60$ for a game that will suck on release
Don't be a moron, noel says it will be good.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

just gonna wait a year, aoe3 is already all the fun i need and all the time i have for computer games anyways
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Challenger_Marco wrote:So as you can see the pre-order price is 60$ USD for aoe4 kinda seems ridiculous pricing? idk how this is going to work ,if they are going to be dlcs then it should be free else i don't know how this works.
Ridiculous? All AAA games cost 50-70 bucks on release. Look no further than console games. I for one am glad that it costs this much and most likely won't be a microtransaction riddled online game (it will have some for sure but that's fine). All core games (in contrast to casual games) cost a hefty price on start.
Challenger_Marco wrote:They been making this game for 6 years from the announcement of aoe4 .....is it worth the hype?? for 60$ i think people might prefer to buy an AAA game instead of aoe4 ...how will they achieve competitive esports in this? is this an overhyped game ? a disaster like Cyberpunk 2077?
No, it got announced in Fall of 2017, so when the game comes out it has exactly been 4 years since said announcement. That is more than reasonable in my book.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

aaryngend wrote: exactly been 4 years since said announcement. That is more than reasonable in my book.
Yes w/e the years are still long but still...
:nwc:
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

Challenger_Marco wrote:
aaryngend wrote: exactly been 4 years since said announcement. That is more than reasonable in my book.
The game requires DX12. Loving this! RTS games can benefit so much from it if implemented correctly. 1 year more or less doesn't matter. It needs to be a good product.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

Use the code "iwillspankyou" for a 50% discount.
Retired Contributor

aaryngend wrote:
Challenger_Marco wrote:
The game requires DX12. Loving this! RTS games can benefit so much from it if implemented correctly. 1 year more or less doesn't matter. It needs to be a good product.
Wrong attitude. It needs to be a good product and in reasonable time.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

princeofcarthage wrote:Wrong attitude. It needs to be a good product and in reasonable time.
Good things take time :hmm:
Earth DayanG
Musketeer

Post by DayanG »

A nice product could come out, as I have seen I don't like it too much aoe2 with 3d graphics and the mechanics are slow I prefer training at 5 but this will never be possible with the non-instant resource collection.
Hopefully it's worth that price
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

If you think DLC's for aoe4 will be free then you are definitely dreaming on cloud 9! given the current game market then i think there is high chance that there will be 3 streams of cash generation of base game sales, DLCs and customisation.

£49.99 GBP is pretty steep though :/
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

considering how much I played the original aoe3/twc/tad, the current price for aoe4 is totally worth it.. IF the game actually delivers. But of aoe3de is any reference, i'm expecting 8 months of patches until units dont get stuck in trading posts... then def. is not worth it.

What I actually saw is that the xbox subscription is super cheap for the first month, so i'm planing to subscribe on that for a single month on age4 release and use it as trial period to decide if i'm actually going to buy the game or not
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

About the same as Cyberpunk. Hillarious if Microsoft thinks this will be seen as a triple A game.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

i paid full price for most of my games that i own, usually around 60 dollars. assuming aoe4 delivers on its promises thats a perfectly reasonable price point assuming it comes with unlimited online play, a good ai and tech/balance support for at least several years.
India iron_turtle
Skirmisher
ESO: iron_turtle

Post by iron_turtle »

I will buy this one year later in Steam autumn sale, when all the bugs are fixed, meta for all civs are developed so I can just look up strategies, and the prices are down by 66%.
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Post by Thrar »

$60 seems like standard pricing for full-size non-indie games to me, not just top of the market AAA titles. The original AoE2 and AoE3 games cost similar amounts on release and that was over 15 years ago!
aaryngend wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:Wrong attitude. It needs to be a good product and in reasonable time.
Good things take time :hmm:
The infamous product development triangle: Optimize for cost, time, or quality? Pick two.

Product managers who say they want all 3 and will end up releasing an unfinished product behind schedule and above budget, achieving none. The DEs were optimized for cost and time, sacrificing quality (AoE2:DE had similar quality issues a year earlier).
With MS's deep pockets and presumably the goal of building a major franchise title, I'm hoping AoE4 will optimize primarily for quality and to some extent time. 4 years development time isn't that much imo for non-indie titles that are not direct sequels built on an existing core.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

60 bucks is just the standard price for games? Why are people surprised about it then?
Retired Contributor

@Challenger_Marco its not even 60 bucks for us...
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

RefluxSemantic wrote:60 bucks is just the standard price for games? Why are people surprised about it then?
I dont think anyone would mind if there wasnt the constant fear of it being implanted with dlcs.
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

princeofcarthage wrote:@Challenger_Marco its not even 60 bucks for us...
Yeah its like 30 bucks for me
Retired Contributor

helln00 wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:@Challenger_Marco its not even 60 bucks for us...
Yeah its like 30 bucks for me
Yeah about 35 dollars for me
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

sebnan12 wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:60 bucks is just the standard price for games? Why are people surprised about it then?
I dont think anyone would mind if there wasnt the constant fear of it being implanted with dlcs.
Thats still completely normal..

Remember when aoe3 came out for 60 bucks and then had two ~30 bucks expansions?
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

You guys forgot about the multiplayer access subscription model.