Stress Test open Beta Aoe4

General forum about Age of Empires 4.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Re: Stress Test open Beta Aoe4

Post by RefluxSemantic »

harcha wrote:i agree. it looks like those people really want to play aoe2 or aoe3. and there is nothing wrong with that, stick with your game. microsoft already gave you all the fan service you deserve with the release of DE.
It's like people want to find reasons to not only justify that they don't like the game (I can understand that), they want to find reasons why nobody should like aoe4.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Oh there's no way in hell anyone from AOE2 is going to enjoy AOE4. Their game is genuinely super well made.

AOE4 is okay, it's slowly growing on me but there's a lot that I just don't like about it. I'll probably play it.
RefluxSemantic wrote:
harcha wrote:i agree. it looks like those people really want to play aoe2 or aoe3. and there is nothing wrong with that, stick with your game. microsoft already gave you all the fan service you deserve with the release of DE.
It's like people want to find reasons to not only justify that they don't like the game (I can understand that), they want to find reasons why nobody should like aoe4.
Or maybe they really wanted AOE4 to be better than what it is and they're disappointed that after all these years, >this< is all they get. I want to be so excited and hyped for AOE4 but they didn't deliver something good enough to justify it.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

n0el wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:Honestly, if the game was a fusion of aoe 3 and aoe 2, it would have been much much better.
It literally is
Yes the game is better, yet it isn't giving the satisfaction imo. It doesn't feel complete. I can't Express it but I don't feel the satisfaction when I complete a game in aoe 4 as opposed to aoe 3.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Hitbox
I mean, someone look at the hitbox on this villager and tell me that this is a AAA game. This is something that absolutely needs to be fixed. If they can get proper hitboxes for units and buildings, then there is hope. But right now this is too sloppy. AOE3 has almost pixel perfect hitboxes.

Edit: lmao it didn't capture my cursor okay give me a second

Edit 2:

LOOK AT THOSE HITBOXES. WHAT IS THAT EVEN?!
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

They need to postpone the game. Battlefield did it too. Postponing a game 1-2 months before release is acceptable.

Release it during Christmas. The game drastically needs more polish or it's going to be aoe3:DE 2.0.
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon
ESO: EliteRifleman
Clan: SpNz

Post by EliteRifleman »

The game is not bad, it has some interesting mechanics, it needs more work, yes.
When I played it, I don't know why, but it reminded me a lot of AoM and a little of AoE1. It has things of 2 and 3, but clearly it is a separate game.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

There are lots of comments about postphoning the game for polishing. They really want to release it on Bill Gates' birthday it seems like.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

EliteRifleman wrote:Image

The game is not bad, it has some interesting mechanics, it needs more work, yes.
When I played it, I don't know why, but it reminded me a lot of AoM and a little of AoE1. It has things of 2 and 3, but clearly it is a separate game.
its lowkey pretty aom in my opinion. lots of little mechanics and stuff that give it that feel
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

aaryngend wrote:They need to postpone the game. Battlefield did it too. Postponing a game 1-2 months before release is acceptable.

Release it during Christmas. The game drastically needs more polish or it's going to be aoe3:DE 2.0.
Or: cancel your pre-order/do not buy the game at launch if the game does not suit you. Publishers will not want to delay AoE4 because they are just after money. You can wait a year instead and buy the game at a discount.

viewtopic.php?f=1031&t=23508#p553379
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Cleters wrote:Lol I'm watching AOE2 streams and people are bitching on AOE3 saying devs took all the bad things from us and put it in AOE4, and that's why the game would fail.
What is even from AOE3. Besides more deer hunts, idk what else.

PS. I actually got curious to see how many game features AOE2, AOE3 and AOE4 have in common.
Made a quick table with some essential ones, not exhaustive, but enough to draw a comparison between some core features:
Game feature AOE2 AOE3 AOE4
very large maps β˜‘οΈ βž– β˜‘οΈ
starting cav scout β˜‘οΈ βž– β˜‘οΈ
starting crates βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
explorer βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
vills garrison in the TC with a simple click βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
vills garrison in outposts βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
starting hunt βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
herdable hunts βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
stone β˜‘οΈ βž– β˜‘οΈ
gold β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ
wood β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ
berries β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ
XP βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
fixed trading routes βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
shipments βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
home cities βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
1-unit production queues β˜‘οΈ βž– β˜‘οΈ
5-unit production queues βž– β˜‘οΈ βž– through special upgrade
shift-click retasking βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
military buildings hotkey-selectable by type βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
dropoff gathering points β˜‘οΈ βž– β˜‘οΈ
farms β˜‘οΈ βž– only native, similar to mills β˜‘οΈ
mills β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ
up to 10 vills can work on a farm/mill yes but they don't farm β˜‘οΈ not farmers
a mill is a catch-all food gathering point β˜‘οΈ βž– β˜‘οΈ
market in age 1 βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
market upgrades improve vills βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
markets allow trading between players β˜‘οΈ βž– β˜‘οΈ
TC shoots arrows without vills in it β˜‘οΈ βž– β˜‘οΈ
outposts shoot without garrisoned units βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
Even just from this table you can see that aspects in which AOE2 and 4 are similar are missing from AOE3. And those in which they're similar with AOE3, they're mostly common to all Age games.
So idk how anyone can say AOE4 is more like AOE3 than more like AOE2.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
aaryngend wrote:They need to postpone the game. Battlefield did it too. Postponing a game 1-2 months before release is acceptable.

Or: cancel your pre-order/do not buy the game at launch if the game does not suit you. Publishers will not want to delay AoE4 because they are just after money. You can wait a year instead and buy the game at a discount.

viewtopic.php?f=1031&t=23508#p553379
That's sadly not how it works.
Once the game is out, the little polish they will do over time is far slower than the one they can achieve now by delaying the whole thing.
Once the game is out, they need to patch the live game so far fewer resources can go into redesigning certain aspects of the game.
I personally still think that the graphics look washed out and everything kinda looks the same. Can't fix stuff like that after release.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

@Dolan aoe3 has very large maps but those are used only in casual games. idea behind explorer is same as scout, it's just a hero unit in addition. vils can garrison in towers in aoe2, aoe2 tower is similar to aoe3 outpost. not very relevant what key to push to garrison, these things should be customizable. in a way you have "starting hunt" in aoe2 via boars or deer herds. you can manipulate these but it's definitely not as easy as in aoe3. doesn't aoe2de have shift clicking?
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Yeah, you have a choice on map size, but basically nobody plays on large maps. In AOE4 there's no choice, you get a very large map, sometimes with hills and mountains, something that doesn't exist in AOE3.
Forgot relics and sacred sites, another one missing from AOE3. And wonders don't win you games in AOE3, trade monopoly can.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

It's like 45% aoe2, 25% aoe3, 30% new stuff. That's how it feels to me at least.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

To me it feels like 75% AOE2, 20% some new stuff, 5% strictly AOE3.
Australia robo
ESOC Media Team
ESO: robo_boro
Clan: sQad

Post by robo »

Fixed a few things that are incorrect/missing. they are in bold.
In general this is a bit of a meaningless exercise because you can always find things that are only present in some of the games, and is simply nitpicking.
Dolan wrote:
Game feature AOE2 AOE3 AOE4
starting cav scout (how is this different to an explorer? is that not a starting scout? β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ
starting crates βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
explorer βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
vills garrison in the TC with a simple click β˜‘οΈ Turn on Right Click garrison β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ
vills garrison in outposts β˜‘οΈ Towers which you can garrison vils in β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ
starting hunt β˜‘οΈ Most maps players get a patch of deer β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ Most maps players get a patch of deer
herdable hunts β˜‘οΈ Deer can be pushed with units β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ Deer can be pushed with units but is very time consuming
stone β˜‘οΈ βž– β˜‘οΈ
gold β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ
wood β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ
berries β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ
XP βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
fixed trading routes βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
shipments βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
home cities βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
1-unit production queues β˜‘οΈ βž– β˜‘οΈ
5-unit production queues βž– β˜‘οΈ βž– through special upgrade
shift-click retasking β˜‘οΈ Not sure what this means, but you can shift queue vils in AoE2 β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ Not sure what this means, but you can shift queue vils in AoE4
military buildings hotkey-selectable by type β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ βž–
dropoff gathering points β˜‘οΈ βž– β˜‘οΈ
farms β˜‘οΈ βž– only native, but they work like AOE3 mills β˜‘οΈ
mills β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ
up to 10 vills can work on a farm/mill yes but they don't farm β˜‘οΈ not farmers
a mill is a catch-all food gathering point β˜‘οΈ βž– β˜‘οΈ
market in age 1 βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
market upgrades improve vills βž– β˜‘οΈ βž–
markets allow trading between players β˜‘οΈ βž– β˜‘οΈ
TC shoots arrows without vills in it βž– βž– β˜‘οΈ
outposts/towers shoot without garrisoned units β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ βž–
Landmarks/Wonders to Age up which provide different bonuses βž– β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ
Units cost variable amounts of population βž– β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ
Most units have ballistics by default and always hit their target even when moving βž– β˜‘οΈ β˜‘οΈ
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

robo wrote:starting cav scout (how is this different to an explorer? is that not a starting scout?
Cav scouts are faster but weaker, explorers are stronger but slower.
Which both make sense in their specific system, because AOE2 and 4 have larger maps, so you do need faster scouts (for getting early sheep too).
Whereas AOE3 has smaller maps, but the whole colonial theme makes it relevant to have explorers, which have more hero-type abilities (getting treasures, building trading posts, getting revived if killed etc).
- starting hunt
Most maps players get a patch of deer
Well yeah, though it's typically further from the town center and not as herdable as the one in AOE3.
Deer can be pushed with units but is very time consuming
Yeah, exactly, so it's not really viable. You have to use the AOE2 mechanic of feeding off sheep to jumpstart your early eco.
- shift-click retasking
Not sure what this means, but you can shift queue vils in AoE4
I meant setting up tasks for a vill in advance, before they finish the current one. In AOE3 you can click a vill to work on a mine, then Shift+click to move on to another mine at some distance, once the current one is finished.

As for the rest of the additions you made to the table, I didn't claim the list is comprehensive, just that it covers some core game mechanics.
There are lots of debatable points, for example AOE2 and 4 have two separate structures, outposts and towers with different roles and behaviours. AOE3 has one that can shoot without garrisoned units.
So many of these things that seem common are actually different in how they work in each game.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Dolan wrote:
robo wrote:
- shift-click retasking
Not sure what this means, but you can shift queue vils in AoE4
I meant setting up tasks for a vill in advance, before they finish the current one. In AOE3 you can click a vill to work on a mine, then Shift+click to move on to another mine at some distance, once the current one is finished.
Both AoE2:DE and AoE4 have action queue. AoE2 didn't have it before DE.
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

it's basically aoe3 civs in aoe2 is how im starting to see it
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
Dolan wrote:
Show hidden quotes
How do you use it. I tried to shift-click but it doesn't do anything.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

Dolan wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:
Show hidden quotes
There is a setting in the options which lets you decide between legacy and the new shift function in aoe2:DE. Pick the new one because that is the way it works in all other RTS games (aoe3, sc2, wc3, etc.) and what most people are familiar with.
The legacy function is much harder to use and more complicated (you basically had to take one extra-step to make it work, totally non-intuitive).
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Played about 3 games, started to get used to the hotkeys, dont dislike the game as much now. I think if I played more I could start to enjoy it.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

aaryngend wrote:
Dolan wrote:
Show hidden quotes
There is a setting in the options which lets you decide between legacy and the new shift function in aoe2:DE. Pick the new one because that is the way it works in all other RTS games (aoe3, sc2, wc3, etc.) and what most people are familiar with.
The legacy function is much harder to use and more complicated (you basically had to take one extra-step to make it work, totally non-intuitive).
Where is that option
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

GUA seems to be quite hooked on the game, hope it stays that way.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

@Dolan 2 big factors where AoE4 is more similar to AoE3 than 2 that are missing in your list are civ variety and micro. AoE4's civ design is asymmetric and the micro reminds much more of how it works in AoE3: It's more about positioning than anything else. Particularly the fact that shots aren't dodgeable is a deliberate deviation from AoE2, and one of their less defensible design decisions imo. And it's a pretty big decision. Dodgeable arrows are a huge deal in AoE2. Increases the skill ceiling and generates a lot of hype moments.