Official AoE4 First Impressions Thread

General forum about Age of Empires 4.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Re: Official AoE4 First Impressions Thread

Post by Goodspeed »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:It's obvious, in many ways, that competitive multiplayer was not the focus. As a result the game is not good enough to be the next big competitive RTS. It will replace AoE3 for this community just fine, but Starcraft and AoE2 players will go right back to their game when the novelty wears off.
What makes you think AoE3 players won't?
I don't think it survives this. Maybe, though
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

^^as long as a game has a player base, new players get good and new competitive scen emerges
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Yea looks a bit of a death sentence for 3 honestly, lot of the better players moving over and a lack of interest in 3 generally.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
No Flag Cleters
Skirmisher
ESO: Cleters

Post by Cleters »

There's 3500 players on DE right now on steam only and 800 on tad/nilla, which makes 4300 players playing in the middle of Saturday. This stats never happened in RE exept in 2020 lockdown, so AOE3 is in a good spot.
The fact there's still players playing dayli on nilla and tad just show the game will not die easily. But maybe at a very high lvl there will not be a lot of players left, but that's already the case.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I think the latest few patches/changes in AoE3, turning it into a clown game, have at least as much influence on the described effect as AoE4 does.
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

For years, people stated that AoE3 will die or is dying. Nobody was right. I sincerely doubt (I think not) AoE3 dies because of AoE4. DE gave AoE3 an enormous impulse. The pros from tomorrow bought the game yesterday.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

I think the DE patches making the game less competitive each time is what kills a competitive scene, not a new game. Im sure aoe3 will survive, maybe like it did in the 2010-2015 era, but it will be always here

for now im moving on, im sure eventually I'll miss aoe3 and come back for while like everyone else here does, but for now lets grind aoe4
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor

Post by MCJim »

Yeah, AoE4 is brand new. People waited for years. Of course, the focus is now on AoE4. People are trying the game. That automatically results in less traffic towards AoE3.

It's all temporarely. :dry:

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

Cleters wrote:There's 3500 players on DE right now on steam only and 800 on tad/nilla, which makes 4300 players playing in the middle of Saturday. This stats never happened in RE exept in 2020 lockdown, so AOE3 is in a good spot.
The fact there's still players playing dayli on nilla and tad just show the game will not die easily. But maybe at a very high lvl there will not be a lot of players left, but that's already the case.
Surprisingly more ppl playing this weekend than last weekend for aoe3
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:I think the latest few patches/changes in AoE3, turning it into a clown game, have at least as much influence on the described effect as AoE4 does.
I think if it is to survive long term it will probably need another community-driven patch effort. Especially with AoE4 out, I don't see AoE3 DE getting the support it needs from the devs. Even before AoE4 it kinda wasn't getting that, so yeah.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Goodspeed wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:I think the latest few patches/changes in AoE3, turning it into a clown game, have at least as much influence on the described effect as AoE4 does.
I think if it is to survive long term it will probably need another community-driven patch effort. Especially with AoE4 out, I don't see AoE3 DE getting the support it needs from the devs. Even before AoE4 it kinda wasn't getting that, so yeah.
The last thing aoe3DE needs is another community-driven effort. No need to split the playerbase even further. There is still new content coming and they will patch the game even after aoe4 release. Aoe2 will get even more support.
Community patches which take over official support are only needed if official support is:
a) terribad
b) non-existant

Both criteria are not met. It's not great but who says they won't improve?
Korea South Miyawaki Sakura
Dragoon
ESO: April

Post by Miyawaki Sakura »

Uninteresting naval battles, maps that force naval battles
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

Miyawaki Sakura wrote:Uninteresting naval battles, maps that force naval battles
Aussie_drongo such a water bully :chinese:
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

aaryngend wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
The last thing aoe3DE needs is another community-driven effort. No need to split the playerbase even further. There is still new content coming and they will patch the game even after aoe4 release. Aoe2 will get even more support.
Community patches which take over official support are only needed if official support is:
a) terribad
b) non-existant

Why would they? The money is made. Who's gonna buy AoE3 DE from here?
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

Goodspeed wrote:
aaryngend wrote:
Show hidden quotes
a) terribad
b) non-existant

Why would they release Empire Wars and a new civ for aoe3 after aoe4 then?
aoe2&3 may be a marketing ploy to instill hunger in people for aoe4. But I doubt they will just drop them to basically 0 support now.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

aaryngend wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I'm saying why would they improve. Particularly the balancing effort I don't see improving from here.
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

Has anyone played Serral yet? I think it's really him because he was on the leaderboards from one of the betas and that was confirmed on The Pylon Show by MarineLorD and PtitDrogo to be the real Serral.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

Goodspeed wrote:
aaryngend wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I'm saying why would they improve. Particularly the balancing effort I don't see improving from here.
Well.. once all the civs are out (and redesigned in certain cases) and got patched a couple of times I don't see why it won't be more balanced compared to the newly released versions that lead to your complaints.

But well this thread is about aoe4 so let's leave it at that.
I still don't understand why I never can play the Zero Hour Tutorial Mission. It keeps crashing after 1 minute every damn time. Not that I need it.. but I'm a completionist.
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor

Post by MCJim »

AoE3:DE gets updates almost every month. Isn't that much? I'd say the devs really put a lot of effort in this game. Why would it stop suddenly?

It's an extra reason to buy the game.

United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

AoE4 is meh to me and I'm a casual. It just doesn't feel good to play. Better than AoE2, but worse than AoE3
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night itā€™s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Sweden Victor_swe
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Victor_swe »

My first impression is that its a slighlty worse version of what aoeo was without The gear. Hoping i Will change my mind. Or its money worse spent than aoe3 de.
Dead hunts cant walk....

BrookG - "There is a G in everyone"
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

What key mapping is currently customisable? I'm aware it's not great, but I heard you can do some of it? House, attack move? I'm debating getting it but want to wait till like 95% of the important keys are remappable. Hopefully anything missing is a priority for the first big patch.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

WickedCossack wrote:What key mapping is currently customisable? I'm aware it's not great, but I heard you can do some of it? House, attack move? I'm debating getting it but want to wait till like 95% of the important keys are remappable. Hopefully anything missing is a priority for the first big patch.
Most things (including house, attack move) are only on the grid, so you cannot remap them unless you alter the grid itself. Some other common keys like "select all of type" don't seem to be implemented at all.
momuuu wrote: ā†‘theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Yeah if the grid system is here to stay then we're boned. It's a terrible, terrible hotkey system.

I also need a find barracks hotkey and find stable, range, etc.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ā†‘
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

I wonder if anyone ever gave that feedback in beta flights /s
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young childā€™s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead