Official AoE4 First Impressions Thread

General forum about Age of Empires 4.
Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon
ESO: MASTERdutch

Re: Official AoE4 First Impressions Thread

Post by blackwidow »

Agreed, got to the point where I enjoy feudal vs feudal with rams more than longer macro games. And I generally much much prefer the longer games in all RTS :(
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

So aoe4 roughly has half the population it does compared to the first two weeks (if we only look at Steam). Let's see how well it can retain players.
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

aaryngend wrote:So aoe4 roughly has half the population it does compared to the first two weeks (if we only look at Steam). Let's see how well it can retain players.
Interesting, but on the other side, this happens to any new game.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

Is the game DD?
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
France duke mustache
Crossbow
ESO: duke mustache

Post by duke mustache »

idk but the novelty effect fades... i guess people are fed up with playing 90% against french. Let's hope that dev will finally do their job and balance civ/improve hitbox
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

Well the balance is terrible, maps are terrible, nothing surprising to see less people playing after a month, the next update has better to be a very good update.
France duke mustache
Crossbow

Post by duke mustache »

Tbh looks like they finished two civ and are still building the other.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

duke mustache wrote:idk but the novelty effect fades... i guess people are fed up with playing 90% against french. Let's hope that dev will finally do their job and balance civ/improve hitbox
French? What about mongols
mad cuz bad
France duke mustache
Crossbow

Post by duke mustache »

you made a point.. i may have exagerate but with those two u get 80% of the game
Sweden Victor_swe
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Victor_swe »

Im just really annoyed with the watermaps atm. All of them.
When I lose cuz of some boats im really annoyed.
When i make boats and win it just feels sad.
On land maps when i win i feel happy.
If I lose I dont mind.
Can you some how cancel the search when u see a watermap without exiting the game?
Dead hunts cant walk....

BrookG - "There is a G in everyone"
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Alt f4 is a fine workaround. I dodge archipelago and boulder bay. The rest of the hybrids are kinda sufferable imo
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Post by giveuanxiety »

Once you get matched and see a map you dont like go to the singlplayer and host a lobby, it will say are you sure you want to leave current lobby, say yes and boom.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
Sweden tabben
Lancer
EWTNWC LAN Bronze
ESO: tabben

Post by tabben »

India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

There's some tiny features that are really cool, like units whispering when they are setting up an ambush from a forest, that I keep discovering and it makes the overall experience very fun
Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon
ESO: MASTERdutch

Post by blackwidow »

lmao
No Flag draztik
Skirmisher
ESO: DrAzTiK

Post by draztik »

like cinema, the golden age of video games is past. They are now forced to take 0 risk because there is a lot of money involved . It is mainly some remakes with better graphics .
Korea South Miyawaki Sakura
Dragoon
ESO: April

Post by Miyawaki Sakura »

The balance is terrible and most of the 1500Elos I have are Mongolian and French users.
The map design is also stupid and the new patch brings more bugs.(They killed the brits I was playing)
To actually play the game with alt+f4, I need to spend more than 10 mins in qs search.
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

Miyawaki Sakura wrote:They killed the brits I was playing
just from the setup ability being moved to inactive during combat? dude get in line, my main was Delhi
Sweden Victor_swe
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Victor_swe »

giveuanxiety wrote:Once you get matched and see a map you dont like go to the singlplayer and host a lobby, it will say are you sure you want to leave current lobby, say yes and boom.
Im doing this and nothing happens :S

nvm i was doing it wrong...
Dead hunts cant walk....

BrookG - "There is a G in everyone"
No Flag Cleters
Skirmisher
ESO: Cleters

Post by Cleters »

There's right now less players on steam playing age of empire 4 than aoe2DE, I know there's xbox pass and all, but that's still disturbing.
France duke mustache
Crossbow

Post by duke mustache »

Do you think that the reason is AOE4 is too classic?
The aoe2 fanbase can be returned to their DE which has had time to paufin.
Maybe the lack of originality is felt after a few months of games .. even if i really like aoe3 i m not obliged to think of assists from the metropolis .. but this opus lacks a little flavor.
Forcing players to scout by making them look for sheep at first age is less fun than making them look for interesting treasures.
There are good ideas and medieval times are really cool. Kid, we all dreamed of knights, fortified castles etc ... so it's really cool this medieval atmosphere but we really lack originality in the gameplay ...

Out of pure curiosity, what originalities taken at risk you would have liked to discover?
The medieval period was punctuated by empires but also by brigands/pirates who could rob you in each lost path or crossed forest or troubled waters. And what about the constant control of the church at this time? So personnaly to have a little more content I would have appreciated a new mechanic allowing to ally with brigands / pirates in strategic points of the map which would force to explore; or a mechanism allowing support by church mercenaries ..
No Flag Cleters
Skirmisher
ESO: Cleters

Post by Cleters »

I think there are many problems. According to officials forums, people mainly complain about the lot of bugs and balances problems and the fact devs needs to long (a month) to patch a AAA game.

Personnally, I agree with you, I feel AOE4 miss fun, a lot. All the artwork is somehow melancholic, and the gameplay is very basic.
+ I hardly dislike the few things they added to spice up the gameplay, like the wolf attacking vills, the sheep scoot at start, when you come from AOE3 it feels like a downgrad.

At the very end, I still play the game, but I find myself loving the early age gameplay and once people start spamming stonewalls, castle and sacred site, the gameplay is just painfull.

I went back to AOE3 for some games yesterday, and I instantly loved the game back, you can see it was thought such a better way. Sadly I faced a Mexico player able to delete all his vills, spamm 200 pop of a cav beating cav and skirm in 5 seconds and then rehaving 100 vills in 3 minutes :D
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I'm not really sure why but I've lost interest in this game already. I think what I would primarily point to is the dominance of artillery in the late game, professional scouts, and civ balance.
But more fundamentally I think there is something wrong with late game, which was important to me since I played mostly teamgames. It's just not very fun for some reason. Part of that is art dominance but I feel like that's not all.
France duke mustache
Crossbow

Post by duke mustache »

I understand what you mean .. without being an excellent player aoe3. Cleters, every time we fell against your team in 2v2, we got busted in 8 min. So brutal! xD
On aoe3 I felt more of fun. But since the Africans DLC I'm too quickly overwhelmed to go back so easily. So with what I see on Mexico ... i'll wait a bit xD

Mechanics clearly lack fun.

You don't think the big black spot is this micro difficulty? i mean a game can stay classic and simple but get fun too. But here the hitbox is so bad that the attacks are muddled or missed. I'm exaggerating but the attack boils down to pressing the attackmouv key and micro artillery.
The use of counter units is too random in the mass. This is not something that I felt even when handling large groups of melee or cav units on aoe3

i also agree with goodspeed, something about the current playstyle is making multiplayer games .. very repetitive.
Another point is having to create 10 stables to create a wave of ten units is annoying. These buildings take an important place on the map and ruin readability, not to mention the pace. The longer the game lasts the more buildings are invaded the map and the more the mass effect makes the game messy
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Cleters wrote: + I hardly dislike the few things they added to spice up the gameplay, like the wolf attacking vills, the sheep scoot at start, when you come from AOE3 it feels like a downgrad.
These are things straight from AoE2, but indeed it always felt like a downgrade back in the days when I used to switch between AoE3 and AoE2. Resource camps, having to find sheep, very basic shift-clicking etc. Naturally, they fixed some of those in HD and then DE, but still, let me get my shipments already.