Official AoE4 First Impressions Thread

General forum about Age of Empires 4.
France iNcog
Ninja

Re: Official AoE4 First Impressions Thread

Post by iNcog »

Goodspeed wrote:I'm not really sure why but I've lost interest in this game already. I think what I would primarily point to is the dominance of artillery in the late game, professional scouts, and civ balance.
But more fundamentally I think there is something wrong with late game, which was important to me since I played mostly teamgames. It's just not very fun for some reason. Part of that is art dominance but I feel like that's not all.
probably stone walls being absurdly effective against units.

late game aoe4 is just an art fest because of keeps/stone buildings being so effective. Last game I played some chinese player sat behind towers, keeps and springalds and didn't make a single other unit besides spears. I eventually won because china didn't have an economy.

the structure of most maps, with key choke points to defend, is also a problem. there are no other attack routes so you're often forced to attack where your opponent is ready for you.

games on maps like lipany, arabia and anything open are quite fun. but right now it's like the map makers in aoe4 have a choke fetish, and when they don't, it's a water one.

all in all, games true potential isn't being attained right now.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Stan does not love aoe4
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

PC parts are arriving Jan 5th. It’ll be time for a 2022 aoe3 renaissance. Just passed by The Vitamin Shoppe btw today
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

are my vitamins still in the mail?
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

callentournies wrote:PC parts are arriving Jan 5th. It’ll be time for a 2022 aoe3 renaissance. Just passed by The Vitamin Shoppe btw today
!vitamins
mad cuz bad
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

I've already lost my interest in the game, totally unfinished and lategame is so boring,
aoe4 just served to mislead me from online games, maybe i'm now finding another real life
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon
ESO: MASTERdutch

Post by blackwidow »

i like the lategame now that springalds are fixed tbh. Bombards need addressing but other than that it isn't bad
Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon

Post by blackwidow »

iNcog wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:I'm not really sure why but I've lost interest in this game already. I think what I would primarily point to is the dominance of artillery in the late game, professional scouts, and civ balance.
But more fundamentally I think there is something wrong with late game, which was important to me since I played mostly teamgames. It's just not very fun for some reason. Part of that is art dominance but I feel like that's not all.

late game aoe4 is just an art fest because of keeps/stone buildings being so effective. Last game I played some chinese player sat behind towers, keeps and springalds and didn't make a single other unit besides spears. I eventually won because china didn't have an economy.

the structure of most maps, with key choke points to defend, is also a problem. there are no other attack routes so you're often forced to attack where your opponent is ready for you.

games on maps like lipany, arabia and anything open are quite fun. but right now it's like the map makers in aoe4 have a choke fetish, and when they don't, it's a water one.

worth noting hera's talking pre-springald nerf here
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

blackwidow wrote:
iNcog wrote:

worth noting hera's talking pre-springald nerf here
ah, I figured that to be the case, but wasn't sure about the specifics dates per se.

I read your other post so I'm guessing that the late game is good now minus tuning bombards a bit. tbh I guess I was also sort of talking out of my ass because I haven't taken a game to late game in a long time (or played at all really since updates). I still feel like map structure is a bit chokey but maybe I need to play it out a bit more :p
Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Maps, units, etc. will be slowly fixed over time. This reminds me of late WoL/early HotS in SC2 where the game was simply at its worst meta and game fun wise.
That is if they manage to identify and fixing the root causes. If not... R.I.P.
Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon

Post by blackwidow »

Here's to hoping the devs yoink community maps for their map pools when the editor is released. Official blizzard maps were also terrible + most of aoe2's original map pool is unplayable
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I hope they start reworking siege units. Previous big patch was nice for working on the basic unit balance, so working on siege seems like a logical next step.

Only when all the unit types feel right should they really start with civ balancing.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

What's the state of aoe4 atm? Can you actually remap hotkeys? Is balance decent enough?
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

No to all
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

Kaiserklein wrote:What's the state of aoe4 atm? Can you actually remap hotkeys? Is balance decent enough?
Overall from what I've seen maps are still trash, no hotkeys, no hitbox improvement (click on a house can sometimes be harder than microing a whole fight lol), no ranked ladder.
Haven't play aoe4 since at least a month now so im not good enough to judge about balance but people still complain quite a lot when I watch some big players.
At this point I think it is better to wait for 2022 first big update at least. They are supposed to launch the first season of ladder next spring so I expect they will have fix most of the stuff by the time and the game is going to be (or not) closer to what we would expect of a finished (and 60$) game.
France duke mustache
Crossbow
ESO: duke mustache

Post by duke mustache »

The situation has not changed for a month. You summed it up perfectly. The price is still not suitable.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Okay sucks, gonna wait a bit more then, ty
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

you guys could try this other game called aoe3, I’ve only been playing it for a short while but it’s pretty fun
oranges.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

If they only didnt ruin it with africa and mexico :/
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

When the highest ranked aoe3 player is khorix, then it says a lot...
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Age of Empires IV design director leaves Relic Entertainment after nearly 24 years in the studio

Looks like it was his last big project. Hope the person filling his shoes is as competent or even better.
No Flag Cleters
Skirmisher
ESO: Cleters

Post by Cleters »

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:When the highest ranked aoe3 player is khorix, then it says a lot...
The gameplay suits his playstyle, he's objectivly doing good, dude is rank 27 currently.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Doesn’t really say much. Khorix is decent at several games, so it’s not really surprising he’s too 100 on the ladder.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Khorix is skilled, gets some rap from being good at laming/turking but that's a part of competitive play. I was actually quite impressed to see how high he was on the aoe4 ladder.
Garja wrote:
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

callentournies wrote:PC parts are arriving Jan 5th. It’ll be time for a 2022 aoe3 renaissance. Just passed by The Vitamin Shoppe btw today
so god is real, I know he is because all of my pc parts will be arriving EARLY on 12/23 EXCEPT my PC case was still scheduled to arrive on Jan 5 BUT today I got a REFUND for the case because it was out of stock :o . So I ordered a different case that is going to get here 12/24, that's in two days. prayers do get answered :flowers:
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.