What features of AoE3 would you add to AoE4?

General forum about Age of Empires 4.
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Re: What features of AoE3 would you add to AoE4?

Post by dicktator_ »

Personally I wouldn't have wanted aoe4 to have snare or batch queueing
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

To be honest,picking one thing from aoe3 I would pick snare to add to aoe4.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Customizable hotkeys and hitboxes that make sense
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:- fast aging, at least once
You mean like a civ bonus that makes you age twice as fast?
Finland somp
Dragoon

Post by somp »

MCJim wrote:Being able to train batches with 5 units.
This! I played first AOE4 games yesterday. Havent really played others aoes either. Prince told me to do a lot of barracks, I thought he meant like doing 4 with 50 vills is a lot but didnt think I need fucking 20 :DDD
United States of America DamagedBananaBread
Crossbow
ESO: KingWillIV

Post by DamagedBananaBread »

Squamiger wrote:I’m envisioning a hybrid aoe3 - aoe4 game that has aoe3 civs and aoe3 units, snare, and combat system, but aoe4 eco with vill drop points, no vill cap, and no shipments. I would play the shit out of that game and I think it would be the most popular rts ever

Haha, nope.

Aoe4 is already extremely popular. They're not gonna change it for you.
RefluxSemantic wrote:If your not willing to pay a normal price for a game, are you really a gamer or just someone that likes to complain about things?
you're*
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

Did I say they were going to
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Alt+D
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

DamagedBananaBread wrote:
Squamiger wrote:I’m envisioning a hybrid aoe3 - aoe4 game that has aoe3 civs and aoe3 units, snare, and combat system, but aoe4 eco with vill drop points, no vill cap, and no shipments. I would play the shit out of that game and I think it would be the most popular rts ever

Haha, nope.

This is a bad post but I like your username
Brazil t3rror1sta
Dragoon
ESO: Knight_br

Post by t3rror1sta »

Squamiger wrote:Combat in aoe3 is just ridiculously good. Snare, the elaborate but very hard counter system, the way that artillery battles work with packing and unpacking, and the way that micro can be extremely impactful, all set aoe3 apart.
thats the point.

In age4, 20 mahouts vs longbows dont have the same impact.. bombards fire and infantary dont fly away...We dont see cavalary smashing light inf...
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

i wonder if a part of why combat feels better in aoe3 is because you get little visual rewards for each unit you kill in the form of xp points flying in the air. but in aoe2 and 4, there are no visual indicators that your cannon ball took out a bunch of units
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I think the combat feels better in AoE3 mostly because in AoE4 melee units clump up and you can't see what's going on. Bigger fights with lots of melee units are just so unsatisfying to look at and micro
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon
ESO: EliteRifleman
Clan: SpNz

Post by EliteRifleman »

https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/mecha ... 4/179401/1

I took the time to make a topic with some proposals discussed here, if you can, leave a like and a comment, so that AoE2 fans do not denigrate the post too much.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I strongly disagree with most of the features mentioned in that thread. AoE4 is its own game. You're making us come off as "please just make AoE3 2.0" which I hope doesn't represent the position of most people here.
AoE2 and AoE4 "fans" alike will probably derail it and for good reason
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

Goodspeed wrote:I think the combat feels better in AoE3 mostly because in AoE4 melee units clump up and you can't see what's going on. Bigger fights with lots of melee units are just so unsatisfying to look at and micro
Then you get wololo'd 30 knights or you loose 10 artillery units against 2 demo ship ^^
Spain yoqpasa
Lancer
ESO: yoqpasa

Post by yoqpasa »

Goodspeed wrote:I think the combat feels better in AoE3 mostly because in AoE4 melee units clump up and you can't see what's going on. Bigger fights with lots of melee units are just so unsatisfying to look at and micro
You are great at describing

United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

People will start putting their melee units into line formation hopefully and it will be better
mad cuz bad
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

n0el wrote:People will start putting their melee units into line formation hopefully and it will be better
Yeah I've been feeling this makes melee fights much more controllable. Makes pulling back the units taking damage in the front much easier, helped a lot with the basic combat art of war challenge LUL
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

aoe4 is so incomplete, you could write a book of missing things, but amazingly the game is still very good!
hope they improve the game in next months some things are still very necessary... like being able to take a unit out of the group for example
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
India Veer_84
Musketeer

Post by Veer_84 »

Realife_Brahmin wrote:I wanted Aoe4 to be Aoe3 but in the atomic era+modern era timeline.
Snare mechanic should be there but shouldn't punish your entire group of 30 units. Only the actually snared units should be snared.
I wanted aoe4 to pick off right from 1876 to the end of World War-II. Aoe4 looked like Aoe2 when I was watching Fitzbro play it, but when I started playing it felt nothing like aoe2 or aoe3. What a refreshing change! And I'm completely blown over by historical videos in the campaign section. I've fallen in love with this game.

Plus on the competitive side, I enjoy aoe3, aoe2, sc2 and aom compete with each other with unique styles of gameplay. ;)
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

Veer_84 wrote:
Realife_Brahmin wrote:I wanted Aoe4 to be Aoe3 but in the atomic era+modern era timeline.
Snare mechanic should be there but shouldn't punish your entire group of 30 units. Only the actually snared units should be snared.
I wanted aoe4 to pick off right from 1876 to the end of World War-II. Aoe4 looked like Aoe2 when I was watching Fitzbro play it, but when I started playing it felt nothing like aoe2 or aoe3. What a refreshing change! And I'm completely blown over by historical videos in the campaign section. I've fallen in love with this game.

Plus on the competitive side, I enjoy aoe3, aoe2, sc2 and aom compete with each other with unique styles of gameplay. ;)
This is obviously a completely subjective matter but I think that would have been awful. I played AoE 1, 2 and 3. To me the archaic units like Pikes, Bows, Swordsmen and Cavalry are the identity of the series. AoE3 (and 2 to a lesser degree) has gunpowder units but the Archaic ones are still there. I could not imagine Age of Empires with automatic rifles, bombs, mines and tanks.
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

Letting buildings target units...rn they just shoot at whatever's in front and u can't change the target...so stupid
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

They probably had a problem with the interaction between early game boom builds, early rushes and raids. You don't want to make TC fire so strong that early aggression is never viable, but you also don't want to make it so weak that raiding cavalry can just run into the enemy base without caring. They seem to have landed on "make TC fire really strong, but completely irrelevant when there's a ram involved" which is just a really weird decision. Why not simply make TC fire pierce armor like crossbow shots do? That way you can lower the damage without making raids too strong. And obviously let the player target...
United States of America DamagedBananaBread
Crossbow
ESO: KingWillIV

Post by DamagedBananaBread »

fightinfrenchman wrote:

Haha, nope.

This is a bad post and I don't like your username.
RefluxSemantic wrote:If your not willing to pay a normal price for a game, are you really a gamer or just someone that likes to complain about things?
you're*
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
This is a bad post and I don't like your username.
Let me tell you how I feel: fugg yew