First actual patch next week

General forum about Age of Empires 4.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

First actual patch next week

Post by Goodspeed »

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/age-o ... ht35eIBLC8

Seems like their changes are at least going in the right direction. Crossbows and spearmen did feel kinda weak against cav, zhuge nu were useless, hulks were obviously OP, etc.
But sadly no springald nerf it looks like

I hope there's also hitbox fixes in there, but they don't mention it.
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon
ESO: don artie

Re: First actual patch next week

Post by don_artie »

time to get that china practice in for the cheaper+ stronger springalds
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

They're making them cheaper for China? Why the F
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon
ESO: don artie

Post by don_artie »

Goodspeed wrote:They're making them cheaper for China? Why the F
never played china i thought they were cheaper and stronger, but i guess just stronger?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Ah, yeah 50% more HP if you make them from the clocktower (with an imperial official supervising it you can reduce train time to iirc 7s). I don't think they're cheaper but maybe I'm missing some tech
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

The sad thing about hitboxes is that they were great in the beta. The hitbox was actually accurately represented by the unit model, so you needed to actually click on the unit with some precision. This is also how it works in aoe3. It seems like they moved towards a clunky version of aoe2 hitboxes, where the hitbox is a literal box around the unit and the unit model is effectively nothing but some artwork.

In the beta hitboxes got some criticism, probably because they were generally a lot tighter than players are used to (I can imagine this being quite the change for aoe2 players, and in my tests the hitboxes were slightly tighter than they are in aoe3). I had hoped that they would just slightly increase the margin of error with these hitboxes (so that you can be a few pixels off), but instead it seems like they completely abandoned the system they had in place and regressed to these super outdated hitboxes.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

really? hitboxes have always felt like crap to me regardless of what version of the game I was playing
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Sweden tabben
Lancer
EWTNWC LAN Bronze
ESO: tabben

Post by tabben »

Springalds overperforming and being used as all-round unit (rather than for anti-siege primarily) was mentioned during their post-launch dev stream, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're nerfed in the winter update.
No Flag acergame09
Skirmisher

Post by acergame09 »

Am I the only one who thinks Rus horse archers are broken? They get 6.5 range, 23 attack, and 144 hp with their upgrades.... thats like equal to 2 elite archers with faster speed and more range.
Germany blasdg
Dragoon

Post by blasdg »

fully upgraded they are quite decent but early castle they are so afwul and die to anything.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

iNcog wrote:really? hitboxes have always felt like crap to me regardless of what version of the game I was playing
yea, idk if he had a different beta or what but every version of the game hitboxes have been terrible
Austria Jerimuno
Advanced Player
ESO: Jerimuno
GameRanger ID: 9241516

Post by Jerimuno »

just reading through those tweaks makes it even more blatantly obvious in what poor state the game has been released, im a bit disappointed
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

iNcog wrote:really? hitboxes have always felt like crap to me regardless of what version of the game I was playing
Yes, really. I spent a lot of time testing this. It probably felt like crap because you need to be 'unreasonably' precise. There were still some buggy hitboxes, but in general they functioned well.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

I'm just spoiled because aoe3 hitboxes are perf. so are sc2 ones
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

AoE2 hitboxes are fine too, they just really messed up here. All they had to do was look at literally any other big RTS and just copy.

And it's not just that you have to be unreasonably precise, it's also inconsistent due bugs.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Goodspeed wrote:Aoe2 hitboxes are fine too, they just really messed up here. All they had to do was look at literally any other big RTS and just copy
I don't like aoe2 hitboxes to be honest. It's an outdated way to do hitboxes. aoe3 style hitboxes are superior.