What are The units??

General forum about Age of Empires 4.
Sweden Victor_swe
Lancer
Donator 01

What are The units??

Post by Victor_swe »

Im playing this game pretty casual and dont have much time over to test out stuff. So i would apriciate if someone Who understand this game could explain The unit counter system.

I get The spearmen/Archer/horsemen thing. Similar to aoe3.
Does The similarity end here?

Crossbowmen and men at arms confuse me.
Crossbow are like musk? Wich beat armored cav. But lose to horsemen?
Men at arms are like a buffed fighting cdb meatshield?
Mangonels are like falcs with bad siegedamage? Springels are like a sick culverine? And trebuche are just a shitty mortar?

Cav archers are not goons but just really fast archers?

I also dont understand why u can spam castles with insane damage that can be repaired while under fire at the same time as every unit in this game has really bad siege. What am i missing here?
Dead hunts cant walk....

BrookG - "There is a G in everyone"
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Re: What are The units??

Post by fei123456 »

crossbow are not musket, but rather "skirmisher that do extra damage to heavy cavalry".
Germany blasdg
Dragoon

Post by blasdg »

I also think that the counter system is quite strange.

Lets say the enemy has a large number of archers, what are your counters?
Knights beat archers quite handily. Mangonels shit on archers. Men at arms take almost 0 dmg from them. Why do so many different counters even exist?

The same is true for crossbows, why would you ever build them vs knights? You can rather go pikes, they counter them much better cost wise and can be spammed so easily. Plus crossbows somewhat lose to horsemen cost wise while they are getting trashed by mangonels and archers cost wise (same as pikes). So pikes are cheaper, lose vs the same stuff, win vs more stuff and with the new anti-charge mechanic they are just very good vs cav overall.

Men at arms, what is their purpose other than being a meat shield? if you really want to fight units other than pikes, why not simply go knights? they are just far superior overall.

I am watching streams quite regularly and I have yet to see someone going crossbows or men at arms, you almost NEVER see them (in before someone tells me drongo just released a m@a + ram push today). What I am seeing is cav archers, early knights, archers and siege.
Germany Joe
Dragoon

Post by Joe »

piki & siege this game was designed for @Aizamk
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

spirit of the law made the comparison to the aoe 2 counter system and trash unit system

horsemen - pike -archers are basically light cav - pikeman - skrimishers

knight - men at arms - crosbow are knight - men at arms - crossbow

the game is designed around gold being a semi limited resource so while all the gold costing units shit on all the trash units, they are costly to make and if you can't risk losing a bunch of them to siege
No Flag Hewhololslast
Crossbow

Post by Hewhololslast »

I am wondering this as well.