General forum about Age of Empires 4.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Pesti/EGC to limit support of AoE4 esports

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Pesti has just posted a very long post on reddit, detailing his feelings and personal thoughts around AoE4 esports. To give some context, the next big event (Golden League II) is featuring nonstandard rules, which has caused a bit of a backlash towards EGC. Particularly Beastyqt's 45-minute criticism video is cited as "the straw that broke the camel's back", although there have been other issues in the background for some time.

Relevant quote:
Pesti wrote: That video was for me the final nail in the coffin of understanding that I cannot count on the most important stakeholders in this community to bat on the same team as us. And without those people batting on our team, we cannot realize our dreams for the scene. When I watched that video and then read a mocking post here on Reddit... I felt a real emptiness. A total disbelief this is the way a small team doing their best to run esports events for a niche community is being treated by folk from who we give a lot and ask nothing. And again, this is not about criticism or an ability to accept criticism in good faith - this has always, always been appreciated and welcomed. It's about the fact that me and my team have gotten to the point of feeling a real unpleasantness and unhappiness in our work. And when we're not the first TO's in this scene to have been left feeling that way, maybe, just maybe it's a wake up call for some soul searching.
Pesti is abandoning plans to support AoE4 year-round and instead aims to host only one or two AoE4 events per year along with "new adventures" (presumably other games). If I were to make a hot guess, I think those new adventures will remain within the AoE franchise, as he mentions not having a strong connection to any other game. Overall a saddening post, but I am interested to see where things go from here.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Re: Pesti/EGC to limit support of AoE4 esports

Post by Goodspeed »

So I guess my question would be: Is the game balanced enough not to add nonstandard rules? I can imagine every map would just be dominated by a certain civ, every game would be the same, and it would be a snoozefest for viewers.
If organizers thought they could get away with hosting standard rules tournaments, I feel like they probably would?
Greece LazarosVas
Dragoon
Clan: GMDS

Post by LazarosVas »

Get him back to aoe 3!!!! We appreciate him more than anyone here.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I guess that basically kills the aoe4 competitive community right?
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

gibson wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 01:00
It would hurt, but kill would be an exaggeration.
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

the real aoe game is called aoe3
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

O mighty benefactor, the AOE4 community has disappointed you. Trampled on your offerings, unable to cherish your wisdom. They simply were not ready yet. Please forgive them as they did not know what they were doing. We beg you to forgive their sins, show mercy and rule as their god once more, as we unfortunately can't take you in. We've already found true happiness with the one and only G. I'm sure you understand that this is not a choice against you, but a choice in favor of G.

Bless the G :chinese:
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

gibson wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 01:00
I think Stormgate is going to do that, or at least hurt it a lot, as it will draw a lot of the "desperate for a new Triple-A RTS game" crowd.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds: