ESOC Patch on Wine: Works!

Technical Support for installation and running of the EP.
India djayvar
Crossbow
ESO: djayvar

ESOC Patch on Wine: Works!

Post by djayvar »

After hours and hours of experimenting, I've managed to get the ESOC Patch running on Wine (for Mac, but should work on Linux as well!). This may stop working in the future with updates to Wine or EP, but it works for now :P

Before you start, I'd suggest a clean Wine Prefix with no installs. Install both Wine and Winetricks (using Homebrew for Mac, or apt-get for Linux)

Make a new Wine Prefix (32 bit) and install the basic Winetricks to get the game to work ( https://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?t=13131 ). Don't install dotnet20 as it says in the above link. Instead install dotnet40 (and no higher!).

Code: Select all

cd ~
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine WINEARCH=win32 wineboot
export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine
winetricks —force corefonts dsound l3codecx quartz
winetricks -q mfc42
winetricks d3dx9
winetricks dotnet40

Now, we need to install a version of .NET newer than .NET4.5, as EP doesn't seem to work on the previous versions. FIRST, CHANGE WINDOWS MODE to Windows 7. DO NOT use winetricks to install it using "winetricks dotnet45" or similar commands. Instead, download and install it manually. The latest version of .NET supported by wine is 4.6.2, so, that's what you should get:

winetricks win7
wget 'https://download.microsoft.com/download/F/9/4/F942F07D-F26F-4F30-B4E3-EBD54FABA377/NDP462-KB3151800-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe'
wine ~/NDP462-KB3151800-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe /q

Now, download and install Steam and AoE3 like usual through Steam.

wine SteamSetup.exe

The game will crash after the cinematics because .NET4.6.2 can only run on Win 2003 or earlier on Wine. So, change Windows to 2003:

winetricks win2k3

Steam version of game works perfectly! Now for the ESOC Patch: run the installer like normal. If it doesn't install properly, change windows back to Win7 and try again. But remember to change it back to 2003 after installation succeeds!!

wine ESOC\ Patch\ 6.0.0.1.exe

After installation is complete, launch ESOCPatchLauncher, by CDing into the right folder(!!) and executing:

wine ESOCPatchLauncher.exe

Everything except for ESO will work (you can't play online just yet, but Skirmish and Campaign using ESOC Patch will work). To play online, you have to launch the patched game through the Wine Explorer to prevent it from terminating. So, open wine explorer, browse to the right folder and double click on age3f.exe for the ESOC Patch version of the game with full online capabilities. Double click on age3t.exe for the Treaty patch and double click on age3xpmod.exe for the XP mod. (Double click on age3y.exe for the official patch, or launch it via Steam)

wine explorer

Hopefully this gets it working for everyone!

Cheers!
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Re: ESOC Patch on Wine: Works!

Post by EAGLEMUT »

This is just great, good job figuring it all out!
I have pinned the thread here and linked it from the ESOC Patch landing page FAQ instead of saying that EP doesn't work on Mac/Linux :flowers:
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

Gj mate
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Awesome to hear that this is in fact possible!

@Development Team I think we recently changed something with regards to what .net version was used (in 5.1?), wonder if that helped make this possible. I know older attempts at this used to have problems with .net.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Maybe it helped, though that change was actually a switch from Visual C++ 2013 redistributables to the 2017 version.
No Flag domerino
Crossbow

Post by domerino »

for anyone like me having trouble to execute the wget command - even after installing homebrew for mac - you can just download the .exe file and put it in your user folder. then execute the next command and move on with the installation.

thanks for the thread by the way, great guide!
No Flag l4d3
Crossbow
ESO: Eirik

Post by l4d3 »

I can't launch the game through the ESOCPatchLauncher.exe. When I (successfully) open the launcher and click on either of the "ESOC Patch" or "Treaty Patch" buttons I get an critical error message saying "Initialization Failed. Failed to initialize COM" with an OK button which closes the launcher... Any idea what this error message mean?
When I select the "Official Patch" the game launches but after the loading screen (the one with the coin) it crashed to one of those "stopped working" "Don't send" windows...

I'm using an x32 prefix with wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1) and I've followed all your listed steps, of which I am very thankful you published :) Also, a message at the bottom of the launcher says "Update server is down" if that's of any help.
Netherlands onabudget
Crossbow
ESO: onabudget

Post by onabudget »

l4d3 wrote:I can't launch the game through the ESOCPatchLauncher.exe. When I (successfully) open the launcher and click on either of the "ESOC Patch" or "Treaty Patch" buttons I get an critical error message saying "Initialization Failed. Failed to initialize COM" with an OK button which closes the launcher... Any idea what this error message mean?
When I select the "Official Patch" the game launches but after the loading screen (the one with the coin) it crashed to one of those "stopped working" "Don't send" windows...

I'm using an x32 prefix with wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1) and I've followed all your listed steps, of which I am very thankful you published :) Also, a message at the bottom of the launcher says "Update server is down" if that's of any help.
Hi, I've spent a couple hours on getting this working on linux today. The problem seems to be that:

1. EP might depend on a newer version of dotnet than 4.5 now (not sure about this one, but seems likely)

2. As eaglemut pointed out, EP depends on a newer version of the Visual C++ redistributables now
EAGLEMUT wrote:Maybe it helped, though that change was actually a switch from Visual C++ 2013 redistributables to the 2017 version.
3. The native version of d3dcompiler.dll is required as the built-in one provided by wine doesn't seem to be adequately functional at the moment.

So, to translate this into a solution:

# start with a new wine prefix
export WINEPREFIX=~/.new-wine

# use winetricks to install the required dependencies
winetricks -q winxp corefonts dsound l3codecx quartz mfc42 d3dx9 dotnet472 vcrun2017 d3dcompiler_47

# Run the SteamSetup as usual and install the game
# (run in the same shell session as you need your WINEPREFIX variable to stay in effect)
wine ~/Downloads/SteamSetup.exe

# Make sure you run the game at least once after installing since steam sometimes likes to install some missing dll's on the first launch.
# Exit steam when you're done.

# Run the EP installer
wine ~/Downloads/ESOC\ Patch\ 6.1.1.2.exe

# Run the patch launcher
wine ~/.new-wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Steam/steamapps/common/Age\ Of\ Empires\ 3/bin/ESOCPatchLauncher.exe
After executing all these steps you should have a working copy of EP in your new wine prefix at ~/.new-wine (or whatever name you have decided to give the directory).
I'm not a smurf, I'm just very inconsistent ^_^
No Flag blauertee
Crossbow
ESO: BlauerTee

Post by blauertee »

I got the game and the patch setup to run under Proton (from Steam). Sadly I get stuck at "Downloading additional files". The error message reads:

"Download failed : Success.
Check your connection and click Retry to try downloading the files again ..."

I wasn't able to apply all you're wine-tricks could this be related?

LG Jakob

EDIT: There is already a thread discussing that topic, but no answers so far. viewtopic.php?t=16877

Also the only thing I really care about rn is the XP Mod? This should be an easy manual Patch is there anywhere I can just download the .bar file? Like shown here:

EDIT2:

Got a copy of the old XP-Mod https://web.archive.org/web/20170703113 ... php?id=160
But it's not compatible with the recent ESOC Patch XP-Mod. So I guess I just gotta level my home cities on some windows machine.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

If you only want XP mod, the other link you have should work fine, you just don't launch through EP. Just launch the normal game after dropping that .bar in.

One of the winetricks that didn't work is definitely the problem with the EP install.