STARVATION fun tournament (with $100 prize pot!)

Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

STARVATION fun tournament (with $100 prize pot!)

Post by forgrin »

I'm going to be hosting a tournament with the intention of showing more of the great AoE3 content that gets lost due to the meta of build efficiency. The first iteration of this tournament will be called "Starvation." All matches in this tournament will take place on esoc tournament maps, however all hunts have been removed. There are rules in place to prevent abuse of some factors, however generally the way you play in this tournament is up to you! Details and rules are below. Please note the event is not officially endorsed by EOSC and is entirely of my own doing. ESOC staff have decided to make this an official event! Still to be clarified what exactly this means for the event, will provide details as they come.
Some clarifications: it will be hosted on EP (whichever version is out at the time, doesn't matter much).

When:

The tournament will begin Monday, July 18th, and continue as fast as possible to the finish (hopefully by August 1st).

Where:

The event will be hosted either on my twitch channel, Forgrin14, or on any official channel that decides to host the event (eosctv, ageofempires, etc). If anyone from Esoc wants to help with this I'd appreciate it!

Rules:

These rules are present only to structure the tourney environment in a competitive way that doesn't have any incredibly overpowered answers to the question of "what to do with no hunts?"

-"Stagecoach" upgrade may not be researched.
-China andJapan are banned for balance reasons (villages = pens, andJapan doesn't hunt anyway). China is no longer banned!
-There is no ban on gathering hunts, therefore shipments such as 9 bison etc may be sent and gathered from.
-Water play is allowed, however the card "Schooners" and its equivalents are banned, and cannot be in the selected deck.
-The German card "Improved Mercenaries" is banned, and cannot be in the selected deck.
-All food crate shipments, and shipments including food crates, are banned, and cannot be in the selected deck. Please note that food crates given upon age up bonuses are permitted.

Consequences for breaking rules:
-If a player is found violating the rules of the tournament they immediately forfeit the match being played. It is highly recommended to make decks specifically for this event so as to avoid any issues.

Mapset:

Please download the customised maps attached to this post if you have signed up for this tournament. You must have these maps to play. They are all for UI version 2.062.

Thanks to Garja, Riki and Aiz for making these amazing maps! I apologize for destroying them.

STARVE Pampas Sierras: No berries, but many llamas avaliable make this a livestock-centered map.
STARVE Mendocino: True Starvation: no berries or fish!
STARVE Adirondacks: No berries, but plenty of fish in the sea. The Huron village offers a strong fishing upgrade.
STARVE Cascade Range: A close-quarters no TP map with large amounts of berries as well as small ponds to fish in, this is the boomiest map in the set.
STARVE Klondike: A long land map featuring large amounts of berries along the trading route.

Civ and Map Selection format: Bo3 matches (all except final)

Before the selection process, the caster will assign one player "heads" and one "tails," and then flip a coin. The winner of the process may choose either civilization second or map first. The other player will then pick first in the category their opponent did not choose.

For the first pick of stage, the player who chose to pick map will veto 2 maps. The other player will then veto one map, leaving the first player with the choice of the last two maps. The player who did not choose the map will choose civ second (a counterpick).

After the first match, the winner will lock in civ first and the loser will be allowed a counterpick. The winner may now veto one map and the loser may pick from the remaining.

Should a third match be necessary, the loser of the second game (and therefore the winner of the first) will choose civilization second. The winner of the preceding match will veto one map and the loser will choose.

Civ Selection Process: Final Round (Bo5)

Again, a coin toss will be held, and the winner will choose whether to pick civ or map first.

Map selection for the first match will occur as above for the first match. However, there are no vetos permitted in the subsequent matches.

Civ Selection will be the same as above (loser picks first).

Tournament Format:

The format will be single elimination seeded bracket. There are a maximum of 32 spots available so sign up now!

Video where I attempt to explain rules (Updated July 9th):

phpBB [video]

Prize:

A $100 CAN prize pot, to be paid via Paypal. $80 to the first-place player and $20 to the second-place player. I'm funding this all out of my own pocket (primarily because I wanna see sheep vs sheep wars that badly).

Sign-ups:

Please sign up on Challonge at https://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/KZpi1gq4jk.

If you want to help run or cast this tournament please comment below or PM me, I'd really appreciate it!
Attachments
STARVE Pampas Sierras UI(2,062).xs
(310.7 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
STARVE Pampas Sierras UI(2,062).xml
(1.4 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
STARVE Mendocino UI(2,062).xs
(307.98 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
STARVE Mendocino UI(2,062).xml
(1.31 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
STARVE Klondike UI(2,062).xs
(304.58 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
STARVE Klondike UI(2,062).xml
(1.47 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
STARVE Cascade range UI(2,062).xs
(312.79 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
STARVE Cascade range UI(2,062).xml
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
STARVE Adirondacks UI (2,062).xs
(301.98 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
STARVE Adirondacks UI (2,062).xml
(1.38 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
Bosnia & Herzegovina medinos
Lancer
ESO: AlexBoye,Daddysmurf

Re: STARVATION fun tournament (with $100 prize pot!)

Post by medinos »

Baning Japan and China is not a good idea at all...
HOst the tourney on EP..
Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

medinos wrote:Baning Japan and China is not a good idea at all...
HOst the tourney on EP..

It will be on EP. Japan and China have obvious advantages in a hunt-free meta therefore they are banned.

United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

I think would be cool if you worked with ESOCTV to make this a weekend event and do signups / brackets :D.
Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

_H2O wrote:I think would be cool if you worked with ESOCTV to make this a weekend event and do signups / brackets :D.

That's the dream! There are signups and a bracket hosted on Challenge (see bottom of post).

No Flag abbadan
Skirmisher

Post by abbadan »

Don't you think you should ban DUTCH, as well?
Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

abbadan wrote:Don't you think you should ban DUTCH, as well?

They will be one of the stronger civs but they still need food and don't have an easy hunt-free way to get it.

Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I think the esoc team will be hosting this. Ill for sure provide a preview/newspost if youd ask me (to be released 16-17 july) and help run it for at least the first part. So, deal?
Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

Jerom wrote:I think the esoc team will be hosting this. Ill for sure provide a preview/newspost if youd ask me (to be released 16-17 july) and help run it for at least the first part. So, deal?

Cool cool, deal. Feel free to edit the post in any way you need to.

No Flag DemonDog
Skirmisher

Post by DemonDog »

Jerom wrote:I think the esoc team will be hosting this. Ill for sure provide a preview/newspost if youd ask me (to be released 16-17 july) and help run it for at least the first part. So, deal?

Wow what a downer lol... First Hillary shitface gets away with it and now this! lol
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

This looks fun, a nice follow up to the LCM tournament and leads right into ASC if I'm not mistaken. Finally we will have consistent content.

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

forgrin wrote:

Cool cool, deal. Feel free to edit the post in any way you need to.

I thought we could maybe think of some hype to add to the official post and maybe with regards to the players specifically. The vacation thingy I have going on 8-15 july is kinda unfortunate though, I guess I can try to post a draft tomorrow.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

This seems to be a funny idea, I am looking forward it
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger
ESO: ModernDayWarri0r

Post by sirmusket »

Great Idea buddy ^^ I will be one of the competitors for this tournament :) , # why hunts when you can just saloon ;) #
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger

Post by sirmusket »

I cant get maps, ive done everything looks like youll have to give it to me manually @forgrin
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

please make this a fun event!!!! googogogo
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger

Post by sirmusket »

iNcog wrote:please make this a fun event!!!! googogogo

France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

I have 2 questions,

- Is there a rank limit ?
- Where should I put the maps ? RM ? RM2 ? RM3 ? RMF ? :mrgreen:
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger

Post by sirmusket »

No problem Forgrin, sir musket was being an idiot and only downloaded half of the content not the actual file =P all good now , time to practice ;)
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger

Post by sirmusket »

P i k i l i c wrote:I have 2 questions,

- Is there a rank limit ?
- Where should I put the maps ? RM ? RM2 ? RM3 ? RMF ? :mrgreen:

For Ep rmf, for re rm3
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

very interesting
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

I love the idea and initiative. It seems to me the rules need some work, although there's plenty of time for that and you'll get feedback along the way, no doubt.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

i understand the banning of japan, but not sure I that i get the ban on china, though there is a point to it. But I would also strongly suggest banning india (needs wood for villagers, so its a strong adventage) and dutch (needs coin for vils and it can make banks so they can just go mercs very easy)
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger

Post by sirmusket »

umeu wrote:i understand the banning of japan, but not sure I that i get the ban on china, though there is a point to it. But I would also strongly suggest banning india (needs wood for villagers, so its a strong adventage) and dutch (needs coin for vils and it can make banks so they can just go mercs very easy)

yes but how will dutch/india get there food to age without having to spend enormous amounts of wood on mills etc, and then having to spend that little food into cows/sheep etc , its not as good as it sounds ive already tested dutch/india and honestly there not great , china has free livestock and 300 wood start therefore bit overpowered.
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger

Post by sirmusket »

medinos wrote:Baning Japan and China is not a good idea at all...
HOst the tourney on EP..

Japan 10k food start possible, how is that not fair 19 , and china get lovestock and house combo hush child, japan and china ban is completely normal