STARVATION fun tournament (with $100 prize pot!)

Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Re: STARVATION fun tournament (with $100 prize pot!)

Post by pecelot »

Make sure to promote it on Reddit, Facebook, Steam and official AoE forums, @forgrin ! :pop:
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

great idea. this should be a fun event! And with Aizamk out of the picture there is actually going to be suspence about the winner. Although it would also be fun to see him wreck everyone.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

How many maps are there with berries and/or herdables vs nothing at all? I think the completly bare maps are the most fun :D
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

@ovi12 , read the OP:
forgrin wrote:Mapset:

Please download the customised maps attached to this post if you have signed up for this tournament. You must have these maps to play. They are all for UI version 2.062.

Thanks to Garja, Riki and Aiz for making these amazing maps! I apologize for destroying them.

STARVE Pampas Sierras: No berries, but many llamas avaliable make this a livestock-centered map.
STARVE Mendocino: True Starvation: no berries or fish!
STARVE Adirondacks: No berries, but plenty of fish in the sea. The Huron village offers a strong fishing upgrade.
STARVE Cascade Range: A close-quarters no TP map with large amounts of berries as well as small ponds to fish in, this is the boomiest map in the set.
STARVE Klondike: A long land map featuring large amounts of berries along the trading route.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

pecelot wrote:@ovi12 , read the OP:
forgrin wrote:Mapset:

Please download the customised maps attached to this post if you have signed up for this tournament. You must have these maps to play. They are all for UI version 2.062.

Thanks to Garja, Riki and Aiz for making these amazing maps! I apologize for destroying them.

STARVE Pampas Sierras: No berries, but many llamas avaliable make this a livestock-centered map.
STARVE Mendocino: True Starvation: no berries or fish!
STARVE Adirondacks: No berries, but plenty of fish in the sea. The Huron village offers a strong fishing upgrade.
STARVE Cascade Range: A close-quarters no TP map with large amounts of berries as well as small ponds to fish in, this is the boomiest map in the set.
STARVE Klondike: A long land map featuring large amounts of berries along the trading route.

Awww, only one map with true starvation :(. That one will probably get vetoed all the time
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Btw, civ and map picking rules are not clear at all.
Image Image Image
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

@Garja I'm gonna make a rule clarification video either today or tomorrow to clear up any issues.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

walls should be forbidden for this tournament. WIth no food I can imagine that rushing wont be a thing anyways and you shouldnt promote booming any further by allowing walls to be made.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

food crate shipments are banned, but what about trickles, food exchange cards, herd cards (such as sioux has) or livestock cards?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

He said herd cards are ok. He didn't mention trickles and it seems he's willing to see livestock cards.
Image Image Image
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

umeu wrote:food crate shipments are banned, but what about trickles, food exchange cards, herd cards (such as sioux has) or livestock cards?

The rules seem to be pretty clear here; out of these, just food crate shipments are banned.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

yes they are clear, but perhaps some of these ought to be considered? If its a starvation game, then perhaps herd cards are a bit out of line? Also, food exchange cards are a form of food crate shipments cuz usually u trade for a larger amount of food (though granted it takes time to save up).
Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

The point of starvation isn't an early mill battle, it's simply to see how people (and civs) react to not having any hunts. I banned only things that I thought would be excessively OP or would detract from the point of the tournament. If people would like to see it we can do a pure starvation tourney next where only early mill is viable.

Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

I have updated the OP with a video (hopefully finished processing later) where I go through the maps, rules, and civ selection process. Hopefully this clears up any issues.

Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Video isn't very clear either lol.
Can't you just make so that players veto maps at turn and pick w/e civ they want?
Image Image Image
United States of America Mvp618
Skirmisher
ESO: Mvp618

Post by Mvp618 »

gotta give the video time before it becomes more clear, this is typical for newly posted videos.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

forgrin wrote:The point of starvation isn't an early mill battle, it's simply to see how people (and civs) react to not having any hunts. I banned only things that I thought would be excessively OP or would detract from the point of the tournament. If people would like to see it we can do a pure starvation tourney next where only early mill is viable.

Yeah I would definitely prefer pure starvation with mills only :D but thank you for organizing this it will be extremely enjoyable and a huge highlight nonetheless!
Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

Garja wrote:Video isn't very clear either lol.
Can't you just make so that players veto maps at turn and pick w/e civ they want?

Those are exactly the rules I described, only the first map pick is different (to decide who vetos first).

Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Ye I got the rules, but they're complicate lol. I don't think civ countering is even a thing in this tourney, while the map veto could be just pure alternated.
Image Image Image
No Flag abbadan
Skirmisher

Post by abbadan »

Will India have a big advantage because, A. vills cost wood, not food, so they can get to age 2 while still villing up, and b. they have a wonder that allows them to double the gather rate of their farms?
Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

abbadan wrote:Will India have a big advantage because, A. vills cost wood, not food, so they can get to age 2 while still villing up, and b. they have a wonder that allows them to double the gather rate of their farms?

You can build vills while aging with any Asian civ in a normal game, not sure how this changes anything. Karni Mata is only 10% bonus equivalent to eco theory.

No Flag abbadan
Skirmisher

Post by abbadan »

forgrin wrote:
abbadan wrote:Will India have a big advantage because, A. vills cost wood, not food, so they can get to age 2 while still villing up, and b. they have a wonder that allows them to double the gather rate of their farms?

You can build vills while aging with any Asian civ in a normal game, not sure how this changes anything. Karni Mata is only 10% bonus equivalent to eco theory.

I meant that the 800 food hit won't take away from the resources needed to build vills. Are you sure Karni mata is only 10% ?
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

abbadan wrote:
forgrin wrote:

I meant that the 800 food hit won't take away from the resources needed to build vills. Are you sure Karni mata is only 10% ?

Yes, it is.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

abbadan wrote:
forgrin wrote:

their are lots of civs that are potentially very strong on no hunt maps. Not only India but also brits,china,dutch, ottos (?) and probably a few others aswell, its kinda hard to predict. On the other hand im sure that port and russia are utter trash on such maps.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

lordraphael wrote:
abbadan wrote:
Show hidden quotes

their are lots of civs that are potentially very strong on no hunt maps. Not only India but also brits,china,dutch, ottos (?) and probably a few others aswell, its kinda hard to predict. On the other hand im sure that port and russia are utter trash on such maps.

Not saying port is good necesarily but they do get TC's that they can place anywhere on the map even if tgey make no military. TC fire is already very cost effective, and with units being sooo much more expensive you will not want to get touched by TC