Double elimination?

Talk about the tournament here. You can add new threads/polls, as long as they are relevant. Bad behavior - such as insults and spam - will not be tolerated.
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Double elimination?

Post by giveuanxiety »

Dunno if people really discussed what everyone prefers, single or double elimination. I know you guys might be pretty set, but I think you still have time before the brackets stages start and double elimination would be much better.

Here's why: seeding will be difficult and pretty damn random, even going by elo, since some random smurfs, and ppl that havent been real active in years, and people that play unrated etc.
Would be unfortunate to get a bad placing and lose early when you could have won 2nd place. Just in general double elimination is better due to poor seeding. Think most can agree on that.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
Netherlands Veni_Vidi_Vici_W
Lancer
ESO: ramex19

Double elimination?

Post by Veni_Vidi_Vici_W »

Double elimination is used in Starcraft 2, and tbh I like it a lot. It is also a solution to indeed some issues with seeding/elo or just bad luck etc.

For people who dont know what it is, its like people get a 2nd chance to get to the finals. If they loose in the normal bracket they will drop down to the lower bracket and have to play more matches.

Idk if something like this can be arranged still though
Age Of Empires 3 Videos - GamePlay, Commentary & Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/venividiviciw
Age Of Empires 3 Live Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/venividivici_w
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Double elimination?

Post by WickedCossack »

Yeah double elim smooths out the seeding and we get more matches to watch :D

Cons however of this system is it always ruins the grand finals since the guy from the winners bracket has to get an advatange over the person from the losers bracket and it just results in an even more one-sided game. Also harder to schedule.

I don't mind either way.
Netherlands Veni_Vidi_Vici_W
Lancer
ESO: ramex19

Double elimination?

Post by Veni_Vidi_Vici_W »

more scheduling could be an issue ye. As for the final ruined, idk. The guy from the lower bracket just gets a 2nd chance, so its normal the player from the winners bracket has a headstart. Furthermore, the games can be b05 or bo7 or so still, meaning there would be enough left over to play?
Age Of Empires 3 Videos - GamePlay, Commentary & Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/venividiviciw
Age Of Empires 3 Live Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/venividivici_w
Advanced Player
Donator 02

Double elimination?

Post by giveuanxiety »

double elimination has been done before in aoe3 tours. and say in finals. player A from winner bracket plays player B from loser bracket. Player B would have to beat player A in 2 separate BO7 since he already lost 1.

Also with having the wildcards in this tour that will be just another complication to seeding.
And ya there would be more games that have to be played but I think it would be fine. All the players in the bracket stage for the most part are people that play almost every day and are real active, so they really dont need a whole week just to play 3 games.

and ya people might say it might be a little late to change it to double elimination, but I think it will still work and we should do what most people want. It's ok to have the current tour schedule to act as guidelines for the tournament. Especially since thats really how it generally goes anyways.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Double elimination?

Post by Mitoe »

We had considered double elimination early on when deciding the rules for this tournament' it seemed kind of ambitious for such a small prize pool. I'm open to potentially discussing changes, so I'd love to hear what everyone thinks.
No Flag spadel
Skirmisher

Double elimination?

Post by spadel »

I personally would like it, more time to practice xD
No Flag purplesquid
Dragoon
Donator 03

Double elimination?

Post by purplesquid »

As a noob that just really enjoys watching the streams, I would be down for anything that gives more gg's to watch. . .
Advanced Player
Donator 02

Double elimination?

Post by giveuanxiety »

The people have spoken! make it double elimination! :)

United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Double elimination?

Post by SoldieR »

Double elimination actually shouldn't take longer Noe that I think about it. You just play those rounds the same time period as the winner bracket does. I think it does fix bad matchups early too.
Advanced Player
Donator 02

Double elimination?

Post by giveuanxiety »

ya definitely. and since everyone is asking for it I think it would be good to make it double elimination.

No Flag kushkush
Musketeer

Double elimination?

Post by kushkush »

I'm all for it
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Double elimination?

Post by Jaeger »

I'm all in for it too, i will try to get more people show their support this on here.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego