dansil92's Newest Maps

Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

dansil92's Newest Maps

Post by dansil92 »

As it is frequently requested for information about the latest maps added to EP and the official /Maps page is out of date currently, I thought I would take a bit of time to do a quick writeup about my latest 4 maps (and perhaps the previous 4 when i can get around to it).

So EP 8.2.2 included 4 new maps, ESOC New Mexico, ESOC Chupat, ESOC Viedma, and ESOC Mississippi. With the exception of Chupat, these are much more standard maps and perhaps more likely to be positively recieved.

ESOC New Mexico
pzauBkb.png
This is, for me, the gold standard of a competitive map. It is *extremely* symmetrical with a central tp line, one safe TP guaranteed. The natives on this map are Navajo and Commanche. Wood is generous, but concentrated around the ponds. The map is quite beautiful, with the 2 contrasting terrains (with their varying tree types), ponds, and boulders. The stronger treasures are found in the outlying desert regions, but the tps are central meaning that efficient scouting patterns will be necessary. The total hunt count here is close to high plains, and coin mines are always symmetrical. Finally, don't worry, there are no fish in the ponds, and the central tp will not get a first pass no matter how fast you sprint there directly. You can play quite drawn out games on exclusively natural resources, but you'll be forced to extend out quite quickly to gather from them. For team games, the tp line has 4 evenly spaced sockets, and the map splits the teams in such a way that teammates are not split up by the trade route.

ESOC Viedma
F5kpdoS.png
This is my personal favourite of my latest maps. It is a bit more unique in its layout and offers a vast amount of playstyle options. Each player begins tucked away against a cliff, with a strip of water to the North and South. The trade route is circular and draws close to each tc restricting walling to some extent. 2 trade post sockets are available and are contestable by each player (dont worry team players, there are 4 available tps on team and ffa spawns!). The rugged Argentinian terrain has small cliffs (bright orange on the minimap so no surprises), with generous hunts and silver mines. The water has a decent amount of fish (placed in such a way your fishing boats wont derp around when they've finished off a fishing spot) but no whales or water flag. Furthermore the water is fairly narrow and thus prevents water camping. There is a higher-than-usual treasure count, as a throwback to Araucania, though most of them are just tier1 treasures. The strongest treasures are always in the middle of the tp line. Honestly, truly, consider mountain warrior or polar explorer as powerful options on this map.

ESOC Mississippi
VigxZZE.png
Sdjpoes.png
This is a map I'm really proud of. It features the new season picker for both the winter and summer spawns, both of which offer different options. Each player has a tp directly behind their tc, with a couple safe hunts and coin mines. The second tp on each route is more or less equidistant from each player, meaning that building on an enemy's line or your own already becomes an early strategic decision. The river divides the map at an angle to the players, making some resources across the river significantly closer to you than to your opponent. The winter spawn is unwallable on the ice but offers chokes as control points, whereas the summer crossings can be walled, should you wish. (The crossings are almost a whole screen wide its not overly chokey for those who may be worried). A few sheep wander around and the natives on the map are cheyenne. Bison herd tech can of course be a lifesaver. The winter spawn also has a few more strong treasures.

ESOC Chupat
K4BIXsZ.png

This is the less standard map of the bunch. I was hesitant to include it but I was encouraged by @Cometk . This map has a few affectionate nicknames but looking past that, the map layout is designed with a linear playstyle in mind, but wrapped around in a circle with the river dividing. The rush distance is extremely long, so it is definitely a nr10 nr15 map. It is intended to be my answer to Orinoco but with an actually useable number of resources. My treaty loving friend absolutely adores this map, which is part of the design intent. If you like nr55 orinoco you'll likely love this map. The central island is actually completely inaccessible and is exclusively a divider. In terms of resource distribution, you start with a forward starting mine and a safe mine far behind your tc. After that its all about pushing forward. Despite appearances, raiding can be quite effective here and taking early map control can prove essential. The tp route is quite far from each player but it is only 2 tps so it will not overwhelm a camping player by itself. Mapuche settlements are numerous and a clever player can take advantage of the coin crate timing it offers (along with the ep9 buffs to the units soon!). The river offers a few fun options with a handful of fish, shipping caravels to hold a forward position, revolution ironclads, whatever ...floats your boat... :lol:
In large team games / ffa the fishing becomes very lucrative. A few llamas are found in the map as well.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Re: dansil92's Newest Maps

Post by dansil92 »

I unfortunately dont have one for Mississippi yet but shoutout to wars of liberty for making these screenshots possible
Attachments
YRMoklg.jpg
chupatLarge.jpg
ViedmaLarge.jpg
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

we havent even played through all the maps from your first map pack already :P good effort though! Couple of thoughts about the new maps to have another look at...

looking forward to trying out new mexico, mini map for viedna is pretty horrible to look at, especially if a player is orange as their civ colour! (i like playing as orange :P ), Cliffs on viedema miid map are really hard to distinguish or at the very least appears to be randomly placed. Seems to be a tonne of safe hunt near TC on summer mississippi, mini map on winter mississippi sucks as well, it looks like an inpenetrable line of forest but its just more snow, also there is still springs on the wintter version which doesnt seem to fit well aesthetically. havent checked the river map out. The mini map is really important part of map play-ability for players and casters
France Aykin Haraka
Howdah
EWT
ESO: aykin

Post by Aykin Haraka »

viedma good team map
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

You know its funny i picked the bright orange to make it more obvious, though i can remove it and make the cliffs almost invisible on the minimap. The intent was that you can see them clearly at all times, and its not really random its just 3 ovals, one central one north one south, with two cliffs along about 25% of the oval (sorry to kill the magic)

Mississippi winter has the texture yukon\forest as a way to make the river boundaries clearer, where ice meets snow so to speak. Easy to remove but it is intended. Also geysers dont disappear in winter lol

Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

Looking great, thanks for the effort!
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

a few days late :)
mississippiWinterZoom.jpg
mississippiSummerZoom.jpg
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

lol these maps are awesome

MOAR MAPS

do they get to be included in EP9?
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

ESOC Manitoba

This is my latest map, on the EP9 beta currently. It features numerous ponds, a few cree settlements, lots of fish and tons of tier 1 treasures- mostly beaver treasures, and a few food/wood treasures. The design of the map is to combine the elements of fish booming (potentially), map control with water &/or chokepoints, and a strong TP line (99 res per pass, just to be awesome for macroing). the centre two TP sockets are always contestable by both players (tc radius shouldn't won't interfere). Its been a long journey coding this one and I'm fairly certain that once in a while a tp socket wont spawn for whatever reason. Just let me know if that happens, as I'm pretty certain it doesnt ever do that for 1v1 anymore. Water and trade routes dont get along, trust me.

there is no water flag on this map. I feel (and have been supported in this opinion by several others) that adding a flag would 100% turn this into another gimmicky pond map like dhaka or new england, which is not the intent. If you wanna ally with the cree and spam canoes or whatever thats your buisiness but don't get your home city involved :flowers:
team spawn for you team junkies
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

manitoba very pretty, symmetry make brain tingle

i really like it, I feel like it's gonna result in games like on Fertile Crescent, where a lot of the resources are far off in hidden corners. Seems like strats where you set up a a dock and make 5-8 sneaky fishing boats in a far pond will dominate
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

mississippiSummer looks like very nice map
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Russia Ghost_Imperator
Skirmisher
ESO: Ghost_Imperator

Post by Ghost_Imperator »

New Mexico and Winter version of Mississippi look really great. Gj!
:chinese: :export:
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Ghost_Imperator wrote:New Mexico and Winter version of Mississippi look really great. Gj!
Thank you!
And thank you for reminding me to update the summer Mississippi picture^ I switched it from great plains to ozarks textures, its a big step up. Should be updated soon
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

so much better
mississippiSummerZoom.jpg
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Squamiger wrote:manitoba very pretty, symmetry make brain tingle

i really like it, I feel like it's gonna result in games like on Fertile Crescent, where a lot of the resources are far off in hidden corners. Seems like strats where you set up a a dock and make 5-8 sneaky fishing boats in a far pond will dominate
In my testing ive mostly been playing iro and going for the dock - travois build. Its really solid here. I really look forward to better players than myself playing this map. I think its got something for every civ to take advantage of
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

EP9 Beta 4 Update:

Zavkhan
First and foremost, I have had some significant updates to the map Zavkhan. It has been an extremely controversial map but i've sorted through the... feedback... and modified it to better meet player needs:
Zavkhan
The primary change to this map was a rescaling of dimensions to be closer to circular. The map is only subtly smaller on the narrow sides, but drastically different in rush distance (this was actually much more complicated to do that you might expect and actually involved a graphing calculator). In the end the map has approx 56% of the original land area, with a rush distance of around 40% less. To compensate, the distance between hunts and mines was slightly shrunk, to keep total resource count fairly similar. A quick line of code was added in to keep the larger, juicier treasures a little further away from starting TCs and the TPs now stay further away from the river with a new way of placing sockets that I successfully experimented with, that avoids RNG entirely.

Manitoba
Second major update was to ESOC Manitoba. If you haven't had a chance to try this map out, I really really recommend you give it a shot. Its my current go-to for playing with my friends online. The change on this patch from previous was just a fix to socket placement, using the unique TP code from Zavkhan, along with a tweak to textures that prevents the sockets from despawning when the lakes are placed. This map isnt optimised for FFA and unusual teams like 2v2v2v2, etc. but is otherwise in a really good spot.

ImageImageImage
(plz excuse size differences)

Cerrado and Nahanni just got a few extra hunts, and treasures fixed up a bit. Cerrado always has a nice ez tier 1 treasure ready for the taking and theres about 3 hunts per player extra now, with less berries. I think you'll all find its much better for all civs and we can indeed confirm that a berry map is not a good idea :hmm:

Finally the NEW MAP:

ESOC Thailand
Thailand
Thailand shares a lot of code with Manitoba, but in practice is radically different. I've had a couple problems with tc radius on the tps, where we have the old "great basin effect" with one or both players being unable to take middle tps. I think its consistently a 3/4 sockets buildable for both players, but having other players on other computers does help me get a good sample size for this. Man that was so much easier to deal with when tp radius was removed... anyways, the map is fairly open where the players spawn, but outside of that the map is quite densely forested, with a lot of hunts and coin, plus some water buffalo. You start with a nice little elephant herd and some serrow, and 3 "safe" mines, one forward, the other quite far back. In order to continue gathering from hunts you will either need to contest the centre map, precariously close to your opponent, or venture into the jungle to the southwest, where elephants and serrows are quite abundant. I specifically chose the Jesuit settlements for this map as a way to potentially protect villagers from raids in the southwest, and because age 2 wood costing goons are interesting to me strategically. The reason I really like this map is the way it forces players to push out relatively early, but also in directions that are more difficult to defend. It spawns extremely consistently, has a fun treasure set, and is really visually appealing.
glamour shot