More non-Standard Maps will make EP Better

France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Re: More non-Standard Maps will make EP Better

Post by flontier »

Actually more map like hudson bay would be great.
Thats almost the perfect map in my eyes because thats the map where probably, the biggest number of builds and strategies are viables and possibles.
There is tp's, you can stagecoach or not, every civ can try water, decent food but not too much over the map, tc distance isnt big (at the contrary of florida) so you can play aggro aswell, interesting nats options with some particular tech or units to boom more (cree cdb) etc.. What else ?
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:My map design would likely frustrate a lot player but each player has access to a 2 TP trade route, 1 safe in base and 1 towards mid map however the traded route goes from the edge of the map to near the centre and back again in a loop with the trade route touching both the top-left and bottom right of the starting towncentre. this allows the oppenent a straight line path to the oppnents TC which cant be walled off. Maybe start with an outpost wagon for balance. A high resource sea/ocean would be interesting aswell given that it will be impossible to fully wall off your starting base.

The trade route blocking building placement directly on the TC will be highly annoying for players and will need to edit their play style to ensure that semi-ff styles or fish eco does not get heavily punished due to easy access to other players TC's

thoughts people? I will draw an example and attach later.
I've used alaska as an example due to it not having a TP route so this idea doesnt get confused with an existing route. However I think an ideal map for this idea to occur would be something like manchuria!

I would hard code it that a coin mine (silver) always spawns behind the TC with 4 berries in front of the TC. Other natural resources would be normal. Also If the map was to start with an outpost, i would recommend testing whether this is an outpost wagon, or a pre built native outpost (like in siberia) in front of the berry bushes.
Attachments
Alaska.PNG
China Zeke
Dragoon
ESO: XYH

Post by Zeke »

Would be great to see some low hunt maps where steel trap is no longer worth it. Some heavily sea-dependent maps may also be fun. Some potential RE maps that can be redesigned and used: hispanioia, araucania, great lakes, flood yellow river, borneo, texas, celyon and caribbean etc.
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer
ESO: vividlyplain

Post by vividlyplain »

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:
I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:My map design would likely frustrate a lot player but each player has access to a 2 TP trade route, 1 safe in base and 1 towards mid map however the traded route goes from the edge of the map to near the centre and back again in a loop with the trade route touching both the top-left and bottom right of the starting towncentre. this allows the oppenent a straight line path to the oppnents TC which cant be walled off. Maybe start with an outpost wagon for balance. A high resource sea/ocean would be interesting aswell given that it will be impossible to fully wall off your starting base.

The trade route blocking building placement directly on the TC will be highly annoying for players and will need to edit their play style to ensure that semi-ff styles or fish eco does not get heavily punished due to easy access to other players TC's

I've used alaska as an example due to it not having a TP route so this idea doesnt get confused with an existing route. However I think an ideal map for this idea to occur would be something like manchuria!

I would hard code it that a coin mine (silver) always spawns behind the TC with 4 berries in front of the TC. Other natural resources would be normal. Also If the map was to start with an outpost, i would recommend testing whether this is an outpost wagon, or a pre built native outpost (like in siberia) in front of the berry bushes.
why did you draw dueling penises on ESOC Alaska?
No Flag Superfly47
Musketeer
ESO: Superfly47

Post by Superfly47 »

I would like to see non-winter version of great lakes on EP. For most water maps, winning the sea has little impact on land fighting. For great lakes it provides great map control advantage. If the advantage would be too great, each player's TC could start on the coast, which makes taking the sea a lot harder.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

flontier wrote:Actually more map like hudson bay would be great.
Thats almost the perfect map in my eyes because thats the map where probably, the biggest number of builds and strategies are viables and possibles.
There is tp's, you can stagecoach or not, every civ can try water, decent food but not too much over the map, tc distance isnt big (at the contrary of florida) so you can play aggro aswell, interesting nats options with some particular tech or units to boom more (cree cdb) etc.. What else ?
Yea, it's a great map for sure but some people here (such as Mitoe) think it's boring. Not sure why, you have so many possible builds.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:

I'm worried the hunts would be bugged because of the TPs though.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Zeke wrote:Would be great to see some low hunt maps where steel trap is no longer worth it.
No, it wouldn't. It would be another Russia/Japan/India feast where rushing is the only option.
Some heavily sea-dependent maps may also be fun.
It already exists (Indochine for example).
Some potential RE maps that can be redesigned and used: hispanioia, araucania, great lakes, flood yellow river, borneo, texas, celyon and caribbean etc.
Hispaniola was super boring because it had no hunts, and because you start with too many resources. Also the pathing is shit. It's not even a great water map because it's hard to defend the land and you have to spread your fishing boats all over the map, which makes them weak against caravel raids.

Araucania was also quite a bad map. The hunts were usually low, and very unconsistent. Also the map was just too large, which is annoying. The only special things it had was a huge TP line (but we already have a lot of high TP maps) and lamas (and we also already have many livestock maps).

Great Lakes (the summer version) is very interesting, I agree. With good hunts and a consistent mine spawn, it's nice as you have to fight for the sea control and the TP control at the same time. It's similar to NE, except the sea is even more important and the TP line is different.

Yellow River was a worse version of GL honestly, with the sea being less important and same for the TPs.

I really liked Borneo on the RE but frankly Indochina is already a better version of Borneo.

Texas doesn't have hunts which makes map control useless, and creates unbalance, it's a bit annoying. Other than that, the concept is interesting.

Ceylon and Caribbean aren't really competitive as they foster only one play style.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Tibet is such a good map. I'd like to see it back in the tourney pool.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

deleted_user wrote:Tibet is such a good map. I'd like to see it back in the tourney pool.
Please no !
Great Britain samwise12
Pro Player
Summer 2015 winner
ESO: Samwise12

Post by samwise12 »

i like tibet aswell
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

Tibet is the best RE map!!
China Zeke
Dragoon
ESO: XYH

Post by Zeke »

chronique wrote:Tibet is the best RE map!!
lol it's an EP map indeed
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

Zeke wrote: lol it's an EP map indeed
My bad, i confuse tibet and sibery
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

I love Great Lakes too, it's the first map that comes to mind when I think of great non-standard maps. I would absolutely love to see the spring/summer version rebalanced or remade and used in the winter tournament.

Honestly, Texas with maybe an extra herd per player (so that you don't run out of food at like 6 minutes) and extra mines around the map (to make map control and turtling less attractive) would be an incredibly interesting map to watch tournament matches on.

I also think a rebalanced version of Caribbean would be very interesting to watch as well. Ceylon also proved itself to also be a pretty fun and compelling map in the Two Towns Tournament IMO.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.