Germans Discussion Thread

Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: German Discussion Thread

Post by momuuu »

iNcog wrote:I feel that Germany is a civilization whose power could be offset with a simple early game nerf. Maybe 2 SW should become 1 vill + 1 SW.

Basically if you slow down the early game, you slow down the entire civ to the point where they're good.

That's with basically any civ though. It's also an insanely big nerf btw, almost the most you could nerf a civ I think.
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

I think 1 vill + 1 SW is a great change personally.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Jerom wrote:
iNcog wrote:I feel that Germany is a civilization whose power could be offset with a simple early game nerf. Maybe 2 SW should become 1 vill + 1 SW.

Basically if you slow down the early game, you slow down the entire civ to the point where they're good.

That's with basically any civ though. It's also an insanely big nerf btw, almost the most you could nerf a civ I think.

Nah, it's just one villager.

Read some old patch notes lying around, you'll see that ES often used starting villager count as ways to balance the game: http://www.agecommunity.com/ypatch1_01.aspx

By the way, the patch those notes refer to was published by ES after the initial Fanpatch from AS came out.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag sacredfool
Crossbow

Post by sacredfool »

iNcog wrote:Read some old patch notes lying around, you'll see that ES often used starting villager count as ways to balance the game: http://www.agecommunity.com/ypatch1_01.aspx

By the way, the patch those notes refer to was published by ES after the initial Fanpatch from AS came out.

I agree with the point you are making but I'm not sure that that is correct.

Possibly you are referring to a fanpatch earlier than any I am aware of (or perhaps dev version of fp1.0 I suppose) but I am pretty sure fp 1.0 was ~dec 2008 which was like 6 months after the last ES patch. (It was before the robot patch though.)
Or at least I am fairly certain that it was released after WCG 2008 which was played on es1.01 whose notes you linked.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

sacredfool wrote:
iNcog wrote:Read some old patch notes lying around, you'll see that ES often used starting villager count as ways to balance the game: http://www.agecommunity.com/ypatch1_01.aspx

I agree with the point you are making but I'm not sure that that is correct.

Possibly you are referring to a fanpatch earlier than any I am aware of (or perhaps dev version of fp1.0 I suppose) but I am pretty sure fp 1.0 was ~dec 2008 which was like 6 months after the last ES patch. (It was before the robot patch though.)
Or at least I am fairly certain that it was released after WCG 2008 which was played on es1.01 whose notes you linked.

Oops, no you're right, I meant that it was RE who released a patch after FP.
Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Why wouldn't slightly nerfing uhlan stats be the easiest way to balance germany? Right now 7 uhland destroy 5 huss with 3-4 uhlans left, we could make it so that there is only 2-3 uhlans left.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

ovi12 wrote:Why wouldn't slightly nerfing uhlan stats be the easiest way to balance germany? Right now 7 uhland destroy 5 huss with 3-4 uhlans left, we could make it so that there is only 2-3 uhlans left.

Uhlans have low hp so they get kited more efficiently by ranged units. That's why, for balance purposes, it seems fair they do better vs melee units, including other hand cavs.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Lol iro got nerfed quite hard in the 1.1. I can t imagine how op they were before :p
Serbia Atomiswave
Lancer

Post by Atomiswave »

zoom wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Atomiswave wrote:The more I read this thread, the more i begin to understand that Ger is almost impossible to nerf correctly.
It's absolutely possible, there are so many ways to nerf a civ. I don't like messing with their civ bonus though, perhaps one of these:

Lowering uhlan RR, to make ranged cav a bit better against them, possibly have them die with 1 TC hit less.
2 SW in discovery becomes 1 SW + 1 vill.
Remove 7 skirm shipment.

Uhlans don't need a nerf in any other way than possibly raiding and that's rather their thing.
2SW doesn't need a nerf since you don't get any Uhlans with the shipment. Change 3SW into 2SW+10% gathering instead.
7 Skirmishers is already a mediocre at best shipment.

To me it's pretty apparent that the balance issue is the civ bonus being too strong. Just have all ages grant a static 2 Uhlans instead and test that.

That's too much, just count how many uhlan would Ger lose in age 3 and 4. That kind of linear nerf would make Ger subpar with tp's and completely useless without them.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Goodspeed wrote:
To me it's pretty apparent that the balance issue is the civ bonus being too strong.
Non sense, there are plenty of viable ways to nerf Germans that don't touch their civ bonus. Remember they also have the second best early game economy (only French age with a better eco than Germans), which means they have a lot of resources in early colonial and this sets them up for very sharp builds like the 9 cav 7:40 semi-FF.

To illustrate this, the Portuguese civ bonus would look a lot better too if they aged up at 3:00 with 17 vills.

Absolutely none whatsoever. I never said they cannot be balanced in other ways. I'm saying I think the main problem with Germans is their ability to semi unscathed and their early Fortress Age mass as a result of their civ bonus being over the top. Clearly to me the best way to balance them is to then tone down the civilization bonus and I think that's the best way to do so.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Kaiserklein wrote:
ovi12 wrote:Why wouldn't slightly nerfing uhlan stats be the easiest way to balance germany? Right now 7 uhland destroy 5 huss with 3-4 uhlans left, we could make it so that there is only 2-3 uhlans left.

Uhlans have low hp so they get kited more efficiently by ranged units. That's why, for balance purposes, it seems fair they do better vs melee units, including other hand cavs.

They can still do better, just don't have to win with half the uhlans remaining when 7 uhlans cost 50 more resources that 5 huss (ok maybe a little more since they cost mostly gold)
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

ovi12 wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:

They can still do better, just don't have to win with half the uhlans remaining when 7 uhlans cost 50 more resources that 5 huss (ok maybe a little more since they cost mostly gold)

But 5 huss > 6 uhlans. The cost of 5 huss is approx between 6 and 7 uhlans
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

Atomiswave wrote:
zoom wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Uhlans don't need a nerf in any other way than possibly raiding and that's rather their thing.
2SW doesn't need a nerf since you don't get any Uhlans with the shipment. Change 3SW into 2SW+10% gathering instead.
7 Skirmishers is already a mediocre at best shipment.

To me it's pretty apparent that the balance issue is the civ bonus being too strong. Just have all ages grant a static 2 Uhlans instead and test that.

That's too much, just count how many uhlan Ger lose in age 3 and 4. That kind of linear nerf would make Ger subpar with tp's and completely useless without.

how is that to much. The age 4 uhlans that you get in age 4 are kind of irrelevant anyways because you rarely get to that stage so they can be ignored. Then there is only age 3 shipmets left which get a nerf, assuming all age 3 shipmets are being sent you lose like 8 or 9 uhlans that you could have had if you had gotten 3 uhlans instead of 2. However games rarely even go to such a late fortress stage and this isnt even the stage where germany is op. Its mainly the time frame within the first 3 to 4 age 3 shipments where germany excels most. So zois proposed change would mean only 4 !! Uhlans less within germanys OP time window , also remember that that change wouldnt alter the mercs shipments which are another fact that make ger really good. All in all i would even argue that that change does close to nothing
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Serbia Atomiswave
Lancer

Post by Atomiswave »

@lordrapahel

Ok, i partly agree with your explanation, age 4 is unimportant, because its very rarely played with Ger. But age 3..... i watched many high level matches where Ger ends up playing late fortess with many shipments left. In that case, nerf is pretty significant. Almost all good age 3 deck is maxed out with cards, because Ger players plan to spend most time in fortress and get out most from shipments.

On the other hand, you are one of the best if not the best player on eso. I respect and value your opinion so I want to know if nerf we are discussing(+2 uhlan over the board) gets implemented into ep, would it be the only nerf/buff, or would you make more changes to Ger?
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Almost any good deck of any civilization is full in Fortress Age...
No Flag PoniPoika
Skirmisher

Post by PoniPoika »

I would argue that there are three issues with German with regards to balance and design:

1. As stated by Zoi, the security and speed of their semi and the early fortress mass that results from this and in particular their age 3 civ bonus makes them somewhat too strong relative to current balance.
2. Following from this, the relative internal strength of their colonial and fortress play is rather out of balance.
3. They are completely reliant on tp play for their strength, which coupled with their single explorer means their strength varies drastically from map to map.

Based on this, I would argue that the goals for any design changes should be as follows:

Primarily, to slightly boost their colonial play and slightly nerf their fortress play to make both a viable option, but preferably with their fortress play remaining stronger to maintain civ design/individuality. Secondarily, to boost them on non-tp maps and perhaps nerf them on tp maps correspondingly.

And so I would propose these changes to the civ:

1. Nerf their fortress civ bonus to 2 uhlan, and their industrial bonus correspondingly to 3 uhlan. Based on testing the colonial bonus could potentially be nerfed to 1 uhlan as well.
2. Boost the 3 (+2) uhlan shipment to 4 (+2) uhlan.
3. Slightly boost their passive xp trickle rate.
4. (Potentially) rework the 3 sw (+2 uhlan) shipment to one of the following, or similar: 2 sw + 1 vill (+2 uhlan), 2 sw + gathering bonus for hunt/overall (+2 uhlan) or 3 sw (no uhlan).

Everything obviously subject to testing, but I feel these changes together and probably with slight changes here or there would maintain or slightly lower the overall strength of the civ while improving its internal balance and reducing the abusability of currently arguably broken builds.

With regards to what Incog said about benchmarking, I would argue that French (rather than German and French) should be currently held as the benchmark for overall strength (not design) and that it follows that it is sensible to slightly nerf German overall.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

PoniPoika wrote:I would argue that there are three issues with German with regards to balance and design:

1. As stated by Zoi, the security and speed of their semi and the early fortress mass that results from this and in particular their age 3 civ bonus makes them somewhat too strong relative to current balance.
2. Following from this, the relative strength of their colonial and fortress play is rather out of balance.
3. They are completely reliant on tp play for their strength, which coupled with their single explorer means their strength varies drastically from map to map.

Based on this, I would argue that the goals for any design changes should be as follows:

Primarily, to slightly boost their colonial play and slightly nerf their fortress play to make both a viable option, but preferably with their fortress play remaining stronger to maintain civ design/individuality. Secondarily, to boost them on non-tp maps and perhaps nerf them on tp maps correspondingly.

And so I would propose these changes to the civ:

1. Nerf their fortress civ bonus to 2 uhlan, and their industrial bonus correspondingly to 3 uhlan. Based on testing the colonial bonus could potentially be nerfed to 1 uhlan as well.
2. Boost the 3 (+2) uhlan shipment to 4 (+2) uhlan.
3. Slightly boost their passive xp trickle rate.
4. (Potentially) rework the 3 sw (+2 uhlan) shipment to one of the following, or similar: 2 sw + 1 vill (+2 uhlan), 2 sw + gathering bonus for hunt/overall (+2 uhlan) or 3 sw (no uhlan).

Everything obviously subject to testing, but I feel these changes together and probably with slight changes here or there would maintain or slightly lower the overall strength of the civ while improving its internal balance and reducing the abusability of currently arguably broken builds.

With regards to what Incog said about benchmarking, I would argue that French (rather than German and French) should be currently held as the benchmark for overall strength (not design) and that it follows that it is sensible to slightly nerf German overall.

Your analysis is fine but imo the changes you suggest are too strong. If we remove 1 uhlan per fortress shipment and 2 uhlans for the 3 sw shipment (because they won't do the 2 sw + 1 vil/upgrade thing, 3 sw being part of the civ uniqueness, so they would choose 3 sw + 0 uhlan), it means you will have 5 uhlans vs 5 huss early on. You won't really be able to raid or to hold an early pressure at all. And then once you age up you lose even more uhlans.

It might even end up in changing the meta, if you give only 3 sw on the one hand and 6 uhlans on the other hand, people might just go for a 11 uhlan at 5:40 rush with a forward stable, or even bow/uhlan, pike/uhlan, or dop/uhlan rush. So yeah it would give them rush options but the ep team doesn't want to change the meta so I don't believe this will happen.
No Flag PoniPoika
Skirmisher

Post by PoniPoika »

I'm quite ambivalent with regards to the sw card change tbh, I just feel it's somewhat broken as is. You make a fair point regarding that. Indeed, I would definitely not choose the no uhlan change, but I do see it as a viable option.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Tbh I'd rather see 3 sw + 1 uhlans because it would nerf the early 2 uhlans raid which is really annoying (1 uhlan won't do much) and 6 uhlans < 5 huss but not by much. And for fortress we gotta remove some uhlans for sure, maybe 2 uhlans for each shipment is a bit hardcore, it indeed needs testings. I thought about 8 skirms + 2 uhlans, 7 skirms +3 uhlans and two 8 uhlans shipments.
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

I don't see the problem with simply changing 2SW to 1 SW + 1 vill
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

britishmusketeer wrote:I don't see the problem with simply changing 2SW to 1 SW + 1 vill

2sw isnt the problem
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

britishmusketeer wrote:I don't see the problem with simply changing 2SW to 1 SW + 1 vill

nobody sends 2W unless he is going eco anyways :P
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

It's mainly about 2 reasons : the first is civ uniqueness, because them having settler wagons and thus good vils shipments is a specificity of the civ (nerfing this to 3 vils would make it standard). The second reason is germany having a slow start because they get their shipment later (basically 30 xp later = 15 sec later = approx 50 less food from those 2 sw) and because they don't have many crates. If you check the other euro civs, only ports and spain have as few starting crates as germany. But ports starts with 7 vils instead of 6, and spain has its 3 vils shipment earlier. So if you remove the 2 sw in discovery, germany is probs gonna have one of the worst euro starts (for sure the slowest), unless you add a crate or sth to compensate.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Kaiserklein wrote:Tbh I'd rather see 3 sw + 1 uhlans because it would nerf the early 2 uhlans raid which is really annoying (1 uhlan won't do much) and 6 uhlans < 5 huss but not by much. And for fortress we gotta remove some uhlans for sure, maybe 2 uhlans for each shipment is a bit hardcore, it indeed needs testings. I thought about 8 skirms + 2 uhlans, 7 skirms +3 uhlans and two 8 uhlans shipments.

Those are ugly changes though and changes which don't respect "civ design". It's something which should be respected. Having lopsided amounts of Uhlan per shipment is an ugly band-aid solution which I am personally against.

I don't believe that SW or Uhlan should be changed in German shipments. I think there are better ways to slightly nef Germany. Even today, as strong as Germany are, they aren't a civ that no other civ doesn't have an answer to.
Garja wrote:
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

iNcog wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:Tbh I'd rather see 3 sw + 1 uhlans because it would nerf the early 2 uhlans raid which is really annoying (1 uhlan won't do much) and 6 uhlans < 5 huss but not by much. And for fortress we gotta remove some uhlans for sure, maybe 2 uhlans for each shipment is a bit hardcore, it indeed needs testings. I thought about 8 skirms + 2 uhlans, 7 skirms +3 uhlans and two 8 uhlans shipments.

Those are ugly changes though and changes which don't respect "civ design". It's something which should be respected. Having lopsided amounts of Uhlan per shipment is an ugly band-aid solution which I am personally against.

I don't believe that SW or Uhlan should be changed in German shipments. I think there are better ways to slightly nef Germany. Even today, as strong as Germany are, they aren't a civ that no other civ doesn't have an answer to.

Then you can either increase their xp penalty, nerf 8 skirms or nerf uhlans, I can't think of any other nerf. I mean, we could remove a food crate, but it makes no sense since germany is already slow. We could nerf wws or dops but they already suck. You don't want to touch SWs or uhlans, so we can't nerf 9 uhlans 8 uhlans 3 SW, nerfing 3 WW makes no sense. We could change their age up politicians, for example 400w or fast age, but without either of those germany becomes shit. What else do you suggest ?

Increasing xp penalty would be bad because it would make germany even worse on tp map (they wouldn't have a shipment ready when hitting colonial), and on tp maps they could still be powerful.
Nerfing uhlans doesn't really make sense because they're nothing special (better vs other cav / worse vs ranged units), except for raids (and even there they suffer of tc/towers fire, or even defending musks). Plus you're gonna say uhlans are the civ specificity so we can't touch them.
Nerfing 8 skirms to 7 skirms could be an idea but I don't think it would be enough at all.