Russians Discussion Thread

Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Re: Russians Discussion Thread

Post by gamevideo113 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:Well it is quite controversial.
Some people (me included) believe that Russia is currently too strong, and that RE Russia would be totally fine.
I wish the 17v age up was viable but it's not, and it's very hard to buff it without buffing the 14v age up. With that change, people would just go for the same rush strat and it would be stronger...

What if you make russia vill batch 280 /285 food but also decrease the training time? You would have even less food at 2:40, making the 17v age up a lot more efficient because you would have the time to gather all you need anyway before 3:15.
I mean, vills training in 45 seconds helps both options, but 285f batch only hurts the 14v age up.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

You could decrease train time and simply remove a food crate.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

Take away one food crate if the scaling of 45s batch isn't too strong. If the scaling is improved too much i think 285f is a better solution
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Goodspeed wrote:You could decrease train time and simply remove a food crate.
Wouldn't that: 1. Be horribly difficult to approximate, correctly? 2. Necessarily result in the civilization scaling incredibly well but starting out terribly weak, to a point that would make it Japanese 3.0?

In that case, maybe increasing cost and reducing train time, slightly, would be more practical. Otherwise, I think that nerfing Cossack ranged resistance were a good compensation for the 5% Settler-batch train-time buff.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

gamevideo113 wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:Well it is quite controversial.
Some people (me included) believe that Russia is currently too strong, and that RE Russia would be totally fine.
I wish the 17v age up was viable but it's not, and it's very hard to buff it without buffing the 14v age up. With that change, people would just go for the same rush strat and it would be stronger...
What if you make russia vill batch 280 /285 food but also decrease the training time? You would have even less food at 2:40, making the 17v age up a lot more efficient because you would have the time to gather all you need anyway before 3:15.
I mean, vills training in 45 seconds helps both options, but 285f batch only hurts the 14v age up.
That would be a nerf to Russia but it would indeed make 17v age up more viable.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

zoom wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:You could decrease train time and simply remove a food crate.
Wouldn't that: 1. Be horribly difficult to approximate, correctly? 2. Necessarily result in the civilization scaling incredibly well but starting out terribly weak, to a point that would make it Japanese 3.0?

In that case, maybe increasing cost and reducing train time, slightly, would be more practical. Otherwise, I think that nerfing Cossack ranged resistance were a good compensation for the 5% Settler-batch train-time buff.
Nerfing cosack RR ? That's so random lol
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Dont nerf russia lol
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

I did a quick check and the training time of the batch is in fact 53 seconds, not 50, which makes new testing necessary. Reducing the training time to 45s means decreasing the training time by 8 seconds which sounds like a lot, and probably is a bit too much. So i’ll do some maths with 48 seconds. (5 seconds reduction)

On RE (53 seconds per batch), without any treasures, with 5 food crates, i had these results:
-14v age up possible at 3.05 with 800f in the bank, with some tc idle time. Earlier with treasures or a food start.
-17v age up possible at 3:45 with 982f in the bank, just as the last 3 vills pop out.

Assuming we changed the cost of the batch to 285 and the training time to 48 seconds:
-14v age up would be possible no sooner than 2:36, while keeping into consideration that you’d probably reach 800f at 3:06/3:08 (according to my calculations). Earlier with treasures or a food start.
-17v age up would be possible at 3:25 with ~982-(15x4)+[0.84x(5+10+15)x3]=997f in the bank —>(actually it’s more likely to be a little less because i didn’t consider the walking time from the tc to the herd).

I think ultimately what we need to look out for is the russian scaling, while fixing the design of their opening.
Clearly settlers being trained more quickly implies better scaling (yes, this is NOT a NERF, it’s much more appropriate to call it a BUFF), but:
-the fact that they are more expensive and train more quickly alone implies that a higher food income is required, which increases the likelyhood of having some tc idle time, negating the scaling boost.
-the cost of ruskets has been increased.
-we can look into other solutions, should russia become too strong in the long run.

@[Armag] diarouga @zoom
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

gamevideo113 wrote:I did a quick check and the training time of the batch is in fact 53 seconds, not 50, which makes new testing necessary. Reducing the training time to 45s means decreasing the training time by 8 seconds which sounds like a lot, and probably is a bit too much. So i’ll do some maths with 48 seconds.

On RE (53 seconds per batch), without any treasures, with 5 food crates, i had these results:
-14v age up possible at 3.05 with 800f in the bank, with some tc idle time. Earlier with treasures or a food start.
-17v age up possible at 3:45 with 982f in the bank, just as the last 3 vills pop out.

Assuming we changed the cost of the batch to 285 and the training time to 48 seconds:
-14v age up would be possible no sooner than 2:36, while keeping into consideration that you’d probably reach 800f at 3:06/3:08 (according to my calculations). Earlier with treasures or a food start.
-17v age up would be possible at 3:25 with ~982-(15x4)+[0.84x(5+10+15)x3]=997f in the bank —>(actually it’s more likely to be a little less because i didn’t consider the walking time from the tc to the herd).

I think ultimately what we need to look out for is the russian scaling, while fixing the design of their opening.
Clearly settlers being trained more quickly implies better scaling, but:
-the fact that they are more expensive and train more quickly alone implies that a higher food income is required, which increases the likelyhood of having some tc idle time, negating the scaling boost.
-we can look into other solutions, should russia become too strong in the long run.

@[Armag] diarouga @zoom
It's a slight nerf to Russia (because the new 17v age up won't be viable in my opinion and you age later + have to delay your military batches coz vills are more expensive), but it's acceptable.
I'd be fine with such a change, why would you do that though ?
Let's be honest, it's barely going to change the game, and it's going to make the EP change list longer (which is an issue imo).

Also I guess you can see what people mean when they say that the current EP process is too frustrating. We need to have 1 page balance discussions to "fix" a change, and we still have 20+ changes to fix in Zoi's list.
So it takes a crazy amount of time to get a balanced EP while these changes aren't even necessary.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

I'm of the opinion that russia is perfectly fine balance-wise except on those particularly troublesome low res no tp small maps. There's not really much of a way to fix that without over-nerfing them on more 'ep-normal' maps. The only changes i could imagine would be
A. A small nerf to blockhouse hp
B. Slightly slower training (3-5 seconds) on cossacks

Anything else, especially around villager nonsense, is going to be dangerous territory

Additionally i still maintain that mathematically, russian halbs are less cost effective rather than more cost effective and could use a reduction in the russian weakening penalty, as they are weakened off of veteran stats rather than colonial stats.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
gamevideo113 wrote:I did a quick check and the training time of the batch is in fact 53 seconds, not 50, which makes new testing necessary. Reducing the training time to 45s means decreasing the training time by 8 seconds which sounds like a lot, and probably is a bit too much. So i’ll do some maths with 48 seconds.

@[Armag] diarouga @zoom
It's a slight nerf to Russia (because the new 17v age up won't be viable in my opinion and you age later + have to delay your military batches coz vills are more expensive), but it's acceptable.
Let's be honest, it's barely going to change the game, and it's going to make the EP change list longer (which is an issue imo).
It makes the 17v age up 20 seconds quicker (imo it makes the difference from unviable and viable), while leaving the 14v age up untouched.
Yes, affording vills and batches will be slightly harder but the economy will be slightly stronger. It’s likely that these will even themselves out.
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

dansil92 wrote:I'm of the opinion that russia is perfectly fine balance-wise except on those particularly troublesome low res no tp small maps. There's not really much of a way to fix that without over-nerfing them on more 'ep-normal' maps. The only changes i could imagine would be
A. A small nerf to blockhouse hp
B. Slightly slower training (3-5 seconds) on cossacks

Anything else, especially around villager nonsense, is going to be dangerous territory

Additionally i still maintain that mathematically, russian halbs are less cost effective rather than more cost effective and could use a reduction in the russian weakening penalty, as they are weakened off of veteran stats rather than colonial stats.
Both of these changes will affect Russia on TP maps actually.
A. On TP maps, you usually go for 1 BH+1 TP (and add the 2nd bh later), while you go for 2 BH on no TP maps. Thus, it will make Russia much weaker to age 2 timing on TP maps, while it's not going to change much on no TP maps because 2 BH + army would still be enough to hold, even with lower HPs.
B. Not sure how slower training cossacks nerfs Russia more on no TP maps than it does on TP maps. If anying, I'd say that you need more coss on TP maps because your opponents will reach age 3 sooner and get skirms/falcs.

I do agree to say that the villager changes are dangerous territory, that's what the past showed us.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

Just put more hunts on no TP maps
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

gamevideo113 wrote:Just put more hunts on no TP maps
This solve most balance problems probably.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

gamevideo113 wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:

@[Armag] diarouga @zoom
It makes the 17v age up 20 seconds quicker (imo it makes the difference from unviable and viable), while leaving the 14v age up untouched.
Yes, affording vills and batches will be slightly harder but the economy will be slightly stronger. It’s likely that these will even themselves out.
Ah lol, didn't see that you wanted to reduce the batches by 8sec lol, I thought it was still 3.
Well then it's just too big of a change lol. And it might well make 17v age up too strong.

It's also going to make Russia too strong in some MUs. Think about brit vs Russia, what are you going to do now as Brit ? The russian rush will be delayed by 40 sec but Russia will have an insane scaling and you won't be able to win in late colonial.
Probably the same with water boom.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
gamevideo113 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Ah lol, didn't see that you wanted to reduce the batches by 8sec lol, I thought it was still 3.
Well then it's just too big of a change lol. And it might well make 17v age up too strong.

It's also going to make Russia too strong in some MUs. Think about brit vs Russia, what are you going to do now as Brit ? The russian rush will be delayed by 40 sec but Russia will have an insane scaling and you won't be able to win in late colonial.
No, it’s 5 seconds, not 8.
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

gamevideo113 wrote:Just put more hunts on no TP maps
That's a good improvement.
On low hunt no TP maps, only Russia and India are viable.
On high hunt no TP maps (like Pampas), Dutch, Brit and Japan become viable. That's still only 5 civs, which is acceptable in a tournament game, but not great either.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

gamevideo113 wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Show hidden quotes

No, it’s 5 seconds, not 8.
I meant 5 seconds yea, I mistyped. The change is just too big. It would make 17v age up viable for sure, but at what cost ?
At this point, we have a good balance, and if a change threatens balance, we shouldn't even consider it.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

It’s the only way to make russia less repetitive.
We have two alternatives:
-including the change in the beta and testing it (i honestly think it’s not gonna break the civ);
-keeping russia the most strategically stale civ of the game and call it a day.
I know which one i’d pick.
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Italy Blastkiller
Dragoon
ESO: Blastkiller

Post by Blastkiller »

I would like to understand why Russia is so strong now it is so scarce and many people say that it is so affixed?
No one will escape from me, from my Russians, neither a troll nor a hacker nor a smurf, they will all give days in front of my strelets
Italy Blastkiller
Dragoon

Post by Blastkiller »

What is the problem with this civilization?
No one will escape from me, from my Russians, neither a troll nor a hacker nor a smurf, they will all give days in front of my strelets
Germany richard
Dragoon

Post by richard »

I dont understand what the goal currently is, with Russia.

You dont want to remove Russia s ability to age up with 14Vills decently.

Russia s age up time is 4:20 if 14V-idleless. That s not particularly early. No need to remove that.

Do you really want to change Russia in a way they always age 17 in future instead of almost always age 14 right now?

That would be a huge change imo. And if you revert that later it would be really back and forward changing. I dont think it is a good idea to do that.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

Blastkiller wrote:I would like to understand why Russia is so strong now it is so scarce and many people say that it is so affixed?
It isn’t too strong. We are just trying to make the civ more fun and strategically interesting.
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Italy Blastkiller
Dragoon

Post by Blastkiller »

gamevideo113 wrote:
Blastkiller wrote:I would like to understand why Russia is so strong now it is so scarce and many people say that it is so affixed?
It isn’t too strong. We are just trying to make the civ more fun and strategically interesting.
I think strategically there is, Aizamk in his games says this with suvorov or calmuk
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

richard wrote:I dont understand what the goal currently is, with Russia.

You dont want to remove Russia s ability to age up with 14Vills decently.

Russia s age up time is 4:20 if 14V-idleless. That s not particularly early. No need to remove that.

Do you really want to change Russia in a way they always age 17 in future instead of almost always age 14 right now?

That would be a huge change imo. And if you revert that later it would be really back and forward changing. I dont think it is a good idea to do that.
The 14v ageup stays untouched with what i’m proposing.
toxic, Insult, Racism ?