Spanish Discussion Thread

Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Re: Spanish Discussion Thread

Post by pecelot »

it's not great, is it? you get pretty much the same type of unit, and you have to send a card for it... in age 3; besides, unlike other shipments, rods don't get shadow-tech'd; you could also argue Tirailleurs give you ranged infantry for ranged infantry, but naturally skirms are superior to xbows
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

The transformation cards generally aren't very good. Rather than trying to get value out of transforming shitty units into slightly better units, its often better to just make the good units in the first place and ship those good units/crates.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

It can definitely work as a surprise, especially since your opponent is likely to mass heavy inf if you make a lot of axes, so turning these into rr can let you get a great fight. But it can also totally fail and be just bad. Not sure about using it against spain ff, you'll have to time it very well, else your opponent will get skirms out and be just fine. But against something like colonial musks mass or musk huss, it could be fine.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Transformation card are mostly played for the tactical element (switching unit to the direct counter) rather than for value. In fact only viable transformation cards do exactly that.
China transformation might be borderline because it includes the cost of the upgrades (and so does Sioux one actually). But like Spanish one is completely garbage.
Suvorov reforms card is great because, not only it transforms units to a different type that cost more, but also basically double the amount of musketeers you can have in the same time frame.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

lol that transformation card is totally shit. to reach the magical 1k value, which is atleast required, u need 30 shitbows. And then, if your opponent runs some cav to you (assuming u only want to train shitbow for value), you can aswell uninstall aoe.

only reason I can imagine to use it is to "train age 3 unit" during age up. But because spanish eco is worse than in venezuela atm, u r likely to get like 10 out xD
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

which card are you talking about
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

xbow --> skirm

ruski cuka blyat card can be ok I guess. dunno about china, only civ I dont play.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

ah that's the french one. Ye that's not great because it's the same unit type and the rare times you might age up with many xbows it's prob better to just vet them.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

wtf I thought we talking about that one. Didn't know which transformation spanish have. Just assumed that as its discussed here.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

pike into rods :hehe:
Image Image Image
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Pike into rods is such an irrelevant card that people do not even remember its existence. It gives you none of the following potential benefits: 1) change into a different unit type, 2) upgrading to a better version of the same unit type, 3) change into a unit which was not available to mass beforehand (RR not available in age II), 4) saving resources by shadow teching or change into more expensive unit.

Rods are not even that much more expensive than (80res vs 100res), given that they are food heavier and dont cost wood. You could just start building rods directly. Also, it is like infinitely worse than Tirailleurs (xbow->skirm), since the latter one at least makes the originally built xbows upgradeable to guard/imperial skirms. Spanish pikes are upgradeable anyway, though they tend not to last long enough to make this viable. Finally... who even builds an amount of pikes (50+) to make this whole thing viable?
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

As Pecelot notes, Spanish is slated to be buffed with the next release. Additional general buffs were initially considered, but eventually scrapped, based largely on feedback – as is usually the case.

While sensible changes, "Spanish Gold" and the "Unction" buffs were never intended to be general buffs, across all game situations, unlike the rest of the changes to the civilization. Clearly, some posters in this thread would do well to accept or understand (depending on the case) that fact.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Unction is always an option for late game, while Spanish Gold is a buff for the eco EP meta. 700w -> 5v -> 4v -> Spanish Gold -> 1000w -> 1000f :ugeek:
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

pecelot wrote: 700w -> 5v -> 4v -> Spanish Gold -> 1000w -> 1000f :ugeek:

700w -> 5v -> 4v -> Spanish Gold -> 1000w -> 1000f - > resign - > blame the balance because you go for trash builds :uglylol:
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

the second last might be true, the last is definitely not!
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

700g/700w/5v/spanish gold/1000w/1000f/units works though, in some cases
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

thoughts on hand inf att/hp age 2 and combat age 3into => archiac att/hp and combat?
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

Or Heavy Infantry atk/hp and combat?
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

What about a card that boosts range of ranged infantry? I know spain has no ranged unit upgrades so its a slight deviation but giving a 2+ range on their musks xbows and skirms could help give a slight advantage despite weaker units. Might possibly replace a hand infantry card or that 24 xbow shipment literally no one has probably ever sent. I would make it a colonial card *personally* as a way to encourage some colonial play but perhaps fortress would be a slight bit more balanced

Adding the range to goons seems a bit too strong but its hard to say for sure.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

dansil92 wrote:What about a card that boosts range of ranged infantry? I know spain has no ranged unit upgrades so its a slight deviation but giving a 2+ range on their musks xbows and skirms could help give a slight advantage despite weaker units. Might possibly replace a hand infantry card or that 24 xbow shipment literally no one has probably ever sent. I would make it a colonial card *personally* as a way to encourage some colonial play but perhaps fortress would be a slight bit more balanced

Adding the range to goons seems a bit too strong but its hard to say for sure.

I think that if people ever want to make xbow changes, Spain could serve as a nice prototype to try them out on before changing them for every civ and potentially having a huge effect on the game.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

My point was that spain doesn’t have fast age so the upgrades would give them age 2 potential. Most civs that age slow tend to be pretty good in colonial, im thinking brit india jap , all 3 of those have very good upgrades for units
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Hazza54321 wrote:My point was that spain doesn’t have fast age so the upgrades would give them age 2 potential. Most civs that age slow tend to be pretty good in colonial, im thinking brit india jap , all 3 of those have very good upgrades for units

Errrmm.... You obviously forgot the best pikeman in the game? Which is even upgradable to imperial (no card!!)? And spammed instantly with that hot archaic inf and attack card (even team!!!!!)?

Half pike, half man - total terror!
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Hazza54321 wrote:My point was that spain doesn’t have fast age so the upgrades would give them age 2 potential. Most civs that age slow tend to be pretty good in colonial, im thinking brit india jap , all 3 of those have very good upgrades for units

Reasons spain sucks in colonial:
No 400 wood politician
No booming potential besides vill shipments

Reasons spain is good in colonial
Stronk pikes
Stronk huss

Spain has fantastic unit upgrades in colonial, just not for musks.2 cav cards 2 hand infantry cards. Rodeleros are beasts at raiding even if they arent good for much else

The reason i suggest a range boost rather than a stat boost is that in a musk war in colonial it wpuld give an advantage without breaking civ design.

I do agree xbows need some love. Maybe a multiplier boost could be enough imo
(Having 2+ range for spain would make xbows really nice for colonial wars)
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

I think xbow should have 18 range.
Idk people have experience but vs abus and gurkhas its very annoying when you cant even shoot back. Meanwhile they also loosing vs muskets.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Dsy wrote:I think xbow should have 18 range.
Idk people have experience but vs abus and gurkhas its very annoying when you cant even shoot back. Meanwhile they also loosing vs muskets.

I think SPAIN should get 18 range xbows. France and Germany need no more buffs and ports is plenty strong too