Spanish Discussion Thread

France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Re: Spanish Discussion Thread

Post by Kaiserklein »

Spain is not bad, it honestly just used to be you and hazza spamming twitch chats about it. And since no one plays it everyone is like "spain is trash", no matter how much you buff it lol. Because it's cool for people to repeat what top players say so that they can pretend they understand the game.

Typical example is spain vs ger which I never felt was that good for germany on the last EPs. But it's easy to convince people that it's an unwinnable MU. Yet with the last changes, whenever I play it as spain it just feels like an easy win.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Spain will be a top civ with the 70% xp, for sure.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Current Spain is fine (it's nilla spain if I'm not mistaken). Even that lancer change was unnecessary :)
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

Kaiserklein wrote: Well, I am 100% sure, if fr goes ff.
What's "mass goon" at 9 mins lol? 10-15 goons? You defend that easily with your 15 skirms and some rods. Btw you seem to think rods are useless vs goons, but they're not, they prevent them from going in to kill skirms, and can be put in cover mode to tank too. You just can't take a good trade with, say, 15 goons vs 15 skirms + few rods.
10 goon at 8 min if you age in 7.15, its 15 goon and 8 skirm to me at 9.10 (and you are better than me)

And iam agree with kaiser and diarouga, as i said before, i am not sure spain need to be buff (and if caba stay with +2 range i will be happy :D, i am gona stop arguing againt my civ, its not my job and my level is not good enough to talk about balance).
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah with the perfect 7:15 age up 4 cdb / 700w ff, you get 15 goons at 9 mins. I wasn't talking about the skirms, but yeah you can get 8 or maybe even a bit more.
Meanwhile at that time spain should have 15 skirms, 10 rods, 4 huss. Can train dogs, the tower shoots at goons, and you can pop 5 lancers or 9 rods anytime on his army so he can't push at your fb (also potential 5 skirms pop from the rax). In my book that's enough to hold.
And that's if you went spanish gold / 1000w really, but if you cut 1000w when you see he's being aggressive, you have a unit shipment in and there's absolutely no way france can stay near your fb.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

Kaiserklein wrote:Spain is not bad, it honestly just used to be you and hazza spamming twitch chats about it. And since no one plays it everyone is like "spain is trash", no matter how much you buff it lol. Because it's cool for people to repeat what top players say so that they can pretend they understand the game.

Typical example is spain vs ger which I never felt was that good for germany on the last EPs. But it's easy to convince people that it's an unwinnable MU. Yet with the last changes, whenever I play it as spain it just feels like an easy win.
Spain vs germany is really Spain favoured, i can say this also from my games.Spain isnt trash but its hard to play tbh, i guess thats why its not much used by top players and i like it when i see when u play it but idk it just feels like its easy to use when i watch ur gameplay but when i play it vs higher prs its just like when i had a bad fight (first fight mostly) i wont be able to have a good eco + same mass of units like vs france or other goon civs. For me its just hard to win when my opponent has a good amount of goons + cuirs+skirms if i had a good first fight and kill maybe some vills he can still kite with skirms and goons till i have lost most of mine rods.....if spain doesnt need a buff like the xp buff which we will see in EP8 why no1 uses them like japan or other civs ? i will talk more about the buff when EP8 is out, atm spain is fine for me i wanted just some litte changes which i had in mine mind it isnt so that what i say wont be changed anyways^^
Spain pain train is real
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Kaiserklein wrote:
zoom wrote:I'd love "INFINITE 8 Rodeleros". Unfortunately, one of many things I learned during the development of EP7 is that currently good AoE3 players live in a state of terror towards infinite shipments, which is interesting, considering the many cases of them being viable without being overpowered.
You really have to stop acting like players are stupid and just limiting you in your effort to balance the patch... You really wanna get even more hated or what's your point here? I mean you know less than the average top player, yet keep making fun of them all. It's kind of toxic and ridiculous.
Giving a strong (yes, 8 rods really isn't bad) infinite unit shipment to a civ that gets more shipments than others, and relies more on unit shipments than others, is obviously stupid. Pretty much as stupid as 8 infinite maces was. Plus it adresses a non issue, why the fuck would spain need that shipment to begin with..? And did you even consider the case of an infinite 8 rods + 400g shipment...
Hatred is such a toxic thing—I agree! I think that you're taking my comment much too seriously. I'm sorry that it offended you; it was made light-heartedly. My point is that it became apparent that players, at the time, were especially worried about infinite shipments, in general, which is why I'm hesitant to consider such a change.

I don't think that I know more about build-orders or which civilization is stronger than another, than the average good player. It's obviously the case that I'm relatively good at predicting and understanding the implications of changes, though. The closed EP7 beta-forum contrasted with the post-release reception of the update is one monument to my ability, in this particular capacity.
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by Rohbrot »

Kaiserklein wrote:
Rohbrot wrote:just looked into ur elo u lost the same MU vs Stanley_Winston,was it streamed or do you have a Video of it? If not can you tell me what u did wrong or if u just micro´ed bad?
I lost my net because of my parents' shitty wifi, lol. I was winning when I dropped.
Anyway it would be irrelevant to this discussion since it was on cascade range, which is obviously not a map where you can go for a greedy spanish gold ff. In that game he tried to double rax bow pike rush me, while I opened nootka and then adapted into bow / huss.
How do you can train bow/huss with spain at the same time when the game ended at min8?thats insane. :ohmy:
Spain pain train is real
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Mitoe wrote:Spain will be a top civ with the 70% xp, for sure.
Balance must be great, if that's the case! Due to my shameless caving in to popular demand, I will be undoing the revert of the Rodelero attack buff, though, which means I'll also be tweaking the shipment bonus buff from 5pp to 3pp.
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

That's probably best. 5% was colossal
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Mitoe wrote:That's probably best. 5% was colossal
5pp is 1/5 of the current extent of the bonus. In my estimate, 2pp is comparable to +1 Rodelero attack.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Rohbrot wrote:How do you can train bow/huss with spain at the same time when the game ended at min8?thats insane. :ohmy:
I had time to make only 4 huss and 5 bows, was training more when I dropped. Anyway with crates it's very doable, though opening nootka made it harder.
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

zoom wrote:
5pp is 1/5 of the current extent of the bonus. In my estimate, 2pp is comparable to +1 Rodelero attack.
Ok what does pp even stand for

Percentage points?
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Mitoe wrote:
zoom wrote:
Ok what does pp even stand for

Percentage points?
Correct—my bad!
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Alright, the discussion is not really on buffing Spain anymore. However, I want to suggest a buff to Tercios, as this unit is pretty much never used:
  • Pikemen get +1 range with their guard upgrade to Tercio
Historical context: Spanish Tercios dominated the battlefield of the 16th century, being the first military units to efficiently mix pikes and firearms (-> range).
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by Rohbrot »

after lancers get 1+range its really not that easy to use all your lancers like when you have 20 they walk sometimes arround all units....sad that the 2+range got reverted.
Spain pain train is real
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

Rohbrot wrote:after lancers get 1+range its really not that easy to use all your lancers like when you have 20 they walk sometimes arround all units....sad that the 2+range got reverted.
Well its suppose to improve lancer/rodo compo, not lancer / lancer comp :P
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

+2 range was broken xD
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Post by Jets »

Give Spain a decent Age 2, since rn the civ it's just a FF or die. Not every civ should be like France, or a similar archetype.
I've thought about buffing they eco just a little bit, taking a different card choices based on trickles. Yes, that's right, trickles.

Taking the Capitalism card after you send 3 vills, and then another gold trickle (since Spain was one of the richest kingdoms to profit on America), maybe reworking the Spanish Gold card into a buffed gold trickle, similar to India's Foreign Logging and Distributivism cards sinergy. It would be a diferent path to choose, rather than FF or semi FF, a solid/decent strategy to fill the gaps in Spain eco on Age 2.

Maybe a 2.35 trickle of Coin, or less.

On the other hand, make Tercios a Pyke to Musk convert card, that would be a more flavourish build in fortress, that may surprise even a high experienced player.
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

Jets wrote:Give Spain a decent Age 2, since rn the civ it's just a FF or die. Not every civ should be like France, or a similar archetype.
Giving Spain a better Age 2 would make them more like France though :hmm:
In any case the lack of fast age is what really prohibits more semi-FF builds from being used. Give them that and it's France 2.0.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

There's nothing *explicitly* wrong with Spain's colonial. They have musks, huss, 5v, 4v, fast shipments, all the crates, bow/pike, rodeleros. Unction is a possibility. They can double card their huss, double card their rods/pikes. Double carding their dogs is possible. Their schooners builds are solid. But if you play colo spain you're basically locked into it, you're not gonna get to fortress without some serious miracle
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

Spain is better in age 2 that peaple think they are. Maybe just give a litle xbow buff can be gud (spain is an archaic civ in age 2 so sound ok).
Great Britain Black_Duck
Dragoon
ESO: Tom
Clan: DUKC

Post by Black_Duck »

Spain age 2 is underrated
Challenged_Macro wrote: Respect Mussolini guys,if hes triggered there is always a reason.
Mussolini wrote: I hope corona gets you, your family and all your fuckin relatives as you fuckin deserve it for being cocky
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

I think Spain's Age 2 is fine, but it's Age 3 is better and they don't have a fast age politician.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Spain's age 2 is almost as good as France's age 2, but the big issue is that you cannot age 3 if you go age 2, and in the current meta, you can't really stay in age 2 with just musk/huss.