Group rules suggestions

Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Group rules suggestions

Post by BrookG »

I believe, the group brackets have ended for all the participants. First of all, congratulations on the ones that good seeded to the next round. However, I didn't have the chance and the luck to be seeded, partly due to forfeits and unscheduling as well as people in different groups. This concluded to admins choosing the best fit for the next round. A different issue was the repetitive 3-way-ties. Therefore I suggest a point earning method, as used from FIBA (basketball), where ties are impossible, as in AoE3.

Win (including by forfeit) = 2 points
Loss = 1 point
Loss by default (all players were ejected/disqualified/injured) = 1 point
Loss by forfeit (fails to show up for a scheduled game or withdraws from the court before the end of the game) = 0 points
(source: Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_tou ... ing_system)

Using a point method, not necessarily this, the admins and organisers can be kept away from this awkward situation to solve. Also, to decide how ties are solved. There is no value in tiebraker games, especially when 3 people are involved. The inbetween games or advantage to winning a stroger player can be a tiebreaker criterion.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Re: Group rules suggestions

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Thanks for this post. I definitely like this system and I personally think the three way tie system should go. In your unfortunate case, granting an admin win would start a three way tie on Tuesday, which simply is impossible, especially since you all had trouble scheduling during the two weeks. I personally don't see a lot of problems with your system so I would like to hear all of your opinions.

Edit: I think this needs changing, though

Loss by forfeit (fails to show up for a scheduled game or withdraws from the court before the end of the game) = 0 points

0 points for not showing up is quite harsh considering we're hosting seasonal tournaments and basketball is much more professional than online aoe3 tournaments.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Thanks for this post. I definitely like this system and I personally think the three way tie system should go. In your unfortunate case, granting an admin win would start a three way tie on Tuesday, which simply is impossible, especially since you all had trouble scheduling during the two weeks. I personally don't see a lot of problems with your system so I would like to hear all of your opinions.

I like the Swiss-system for tournaments, it doesnt have the hype of a "grand final" so maybe its not the ideal for the main asc event, but its a nice and inclusive system (solving the recurring complains that low level players are kicked out too quickly). Maybe the long discussed low level tournament could happen in this system.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:0 points for not showing up is quite harsh considering we're hosting seasonal tournaments and basketball is much more professional than online aoe3 tournaments.
I think 0 points for not showing up is good, I mean come on how are you going to justify giving someone points when they don't even play the game?
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

@lemmings121 Firstly I had this system in mind. However forfeiting, or problems with scheduling cannot be taken care of that easily. Say a higher level doesn't schedule, the lower level will get a higher rank for free.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

gibson wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:0 points for not showing up is quite harsh considering we're hosting seasonal tournaments and basketball is much more professional than online aoe3 tournaments.
I think 0 points for not showing up is good, I mean come on how are you going to justify giving someone points when they don't even play the game?

Not showing up to a scheduled match I meant.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
gibson wrote:

Not showing up to a scheduled match I meant.

If you give people points when they fail to show up, you get the same amount of points when losing and not playing at all. With OP's system, you encourage players to play and lose instead of not playing at all.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Well, that's what tournaments are all about: playing. Scheduling is not that hard, really. I mean, there obviously can be certain obstacles, but some people don't even bother to try and that's why IMO they should be punished for behaving in such a way.
Belgium Generaal_DP
Crossbow
ESO: Generaal_DP

Post by Generaal_DP »

@BrookG i agree with you. You can't be 'the dupe' cause other players just don't show up on their match, cus that's what happened if i understand it wright?

I like the point system, i don't know why they didn't use it on the group brackets, imho lot easier to see who is the first and second winner of the group. In EU champions last summer they did it this way, i love to see that in the future (in the elimination bracket it doesn't make any sence :D).

For example in group 1 jsimons would get 4 points, naruto gets 3 points and JTG gets 0 points (if u do it like EU champions). Lot easier to see that jsimons is the group winner then, no? NVM, improvement there always can be :P
█║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│║║█║
©Copyright 2016.™ All Rights Reserved
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

One idea, is to require all group-stage entrants to confirm their participation – via ESOC log-in – at any point between the end of sign-ups and the start of the group stage. Then groups can be spawned accordingly to minimize risk of no-shows. The same thing could be done for the main tournament or, at any rate, players who failed to escape their group can take the place of elimination-bracket no-shows.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

What would be the point of that? Players may just then launch the game once and still not show up when necessary/scheduled.