Booming question

United States of America LoudDonkey
Crossbow
ESO: Jalsam

Booming question

Post by LoudDonkey »

So in terms of booms and when to start putting vills on mills for like french and japan etc I usually always have them go on around 18 to 17 mins should I be putting them on sooner?
I'm not gay but twenty bucks is twenty bucks...
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Re: Booming question

Post by InsectPoison »

Whenever you run out of hunts
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

Three scenarios basically

1. You have enough hunts to get to imperial, maintain vill production, and get imperial wood tech (deccan, some RE andes spawns). In this case you stay on hunts for as long as you need to and don't gather from mills until they are fully carded and upgraded (once mills are fully upped move from hunts to mills).

2. You have enough hunts to get to imperial but not enough to get imperial wood tech/maintain vill production (ESOC Andes, most ori spawns). In this case you start milling as soon as you're aging to imperial and make sure you are getting market wood ups as well. By the time you reach imperial you should have about 30-40 vills on mills. What you might decide to do at this point is tech imperial mills first instead, because you have a lot of vills on mills already anyway and you can't get imperial wood first and maintain vill production.

3. You don't have enough hunts to get to imperial at all (3v3 ori, 3v3 RE andes). You should identify that this is the case and as soon as you're aging to industrial get market wood techs. You should have circular saws (the final market wood tech) before hunts run out. As hunts start to run out start trickling vills onto wood and make a mill but don't gather from it yet. Get the upgrades and then start moving vills to mills. Factories go on food. I've tried with facs on wood/coin and it's always more smooth with facs on food. Probably because between when hunts run out and mills are upped there can be a period where you are gathering 0 food, also with facs on food you don't need to make as many mills (usually not more than 4 and never more than 5). Once you're aging to imperial facs go to wood as usual.

You should always have enough hunts to go industrial
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

can’t like this post enough
Bhutan jgals
Lancer
ESO: OstiferButthole

Post by jgals »

just depends on the map/game/civ/situation

I can't say for Japan when gathering mill/plantation becomes better but for most civ its not until 4 with some upgrade cards or even 5? so basically you want to be on natural resources as long as possible and that is so true that it is actually a pretty guaranteed win to be able to contain an enemy in his base and deny him natural resources. Its more important for sioux of any civ, although they can ship hunts, and less important for japan than any civ probably.But it still matters

so long story short, never in rush. Win the game before mill/plantation
Crossbow

Post by LoudDonkey »

jgals wrote:just depends on the map/game/civ/situation

I can't say for Japan when gathering mill/plantation becomes better but for most civ its not until 4 with some upgrade cards or even 5? so basically you want to be on natural resources as long as possible and that is so true that it is actually a pretty guaranteed win to be able to contain an enemy in his base and deny him natural resources. Its more important for sioux of any civ, although they can ship hunts, and less important for japan than any civ probably.But it still matters

so long story short, never in rush. Win the game before mill/plantation

I am talking along the lines of treaty M8
Bhutan jgals
Lancer
ESO: OstiferButthole

Post by jgals »

Well again it depends on the civ you are using. And I can't really speak to Japan, but I would think you want to be on mill pretty early because your berries will run out on a lot of maps and you will be sending the paddy rickshaws pretty early on.

It just kind of depends on how much resources there are on the map, how far your villagers have to walk to get there, and how much gold is actually on the mine they are walking to that will make your decision of when to go spend 800 wood on a plantation. It's a case by case thing. But definitely by late age 4 you want to start building and upgrading mill/plantation becuase in age 5 they are much better than natural resources fully upgraded and require no vil micro. Also that's not true for war chief civ, their mine/hunt gathering is as good as mill/plantation or better due to the plantation mill upgrade affecting both of those to. But you still need to build one of each to research. That should be done ASAAP with TWC civ since they are basically like market ups
Crossbow

Post by LoudDonkey »

dicktator_ wrote:Three scenarios basically

1. You have enough hunts to get to imperial, maintain vill production, and get imperial wood tech (deccan, some RE andes spawns). In this case you stay on hunts for as long as you need to and don't gather from mills until they are fully carded and upgraded (once mills are fully upped move from hunts to mills).

2. You have enough hunts to get to imperial but not enough to get imperial wood tech/maintain vill production (ESOC Andes, most ori spawns). In this case you start milling as soon as you're aging to imperial and make sure you are getting market wood ups as well. By the time you reach imperial you should have about 30-40 vills on mills. What you might decide to do at this point is tech imperial mills first instead, because you have a lot of vills on mills already anyway and you can't get imperial wood first and maintain vill production.

3. You don't have enough hunts to get to imperial at all (3v3 ori, 3v3 RE andes). You should identify that this is the case and as soon as you're aging to industrial get market wood techs. You should have circular saws (the final market wood tech) before hunts run out. As hunts start to run out start trickling vills onto wood and make a mill but don't gather from it yet. Get the upgrades and then start moving vills to mills. Factories go on food. I've tried with facs on wood/coin and it's always more smooth with facs on food. Probably because between when hunts run out and mills are upped there can be a period where you are gathering 0 food, also with facs on food you don't need to make as many mills (usually not more than 4 and never more than 5). Once you're aging to imperial facs go to wood as usual.

You should always have enough hunts to go industrial

I am always worried that I don't have enough wood though, what is an amount I should have in general before I start transitioning