Mercenaries are not good right?

No Flag agentyoyo
Skirmisher

Mercenaries are not good right?

Post by agentyoyo »

r any of the mercs usable? r there ny that are good to use? i c some that are anit light infantry, or anti heavy infantry, 18 range(interesting). what if you had a line of musk, renagados :biggrin:
would you use jaegers for brits(low on wood)
should they be cheaper? they cost too much pop to use right?
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Re: Mercenaries are not good right?

Post by tedere12 »

yeah mercenaries are sometimes very good. Think of a map that doesn't have a lot of food available, but you still have access to coin mines. Like california and ozarks. If you are lucky enough and have good mercenaries on the saloon (jaeger/manchu/highlander) you should train them. If you are asian civ and have mamelukes and elmeti in age3 then it's super lame and you can most likely win only because of that.
If you are talking about shipments, mercenaries are not good, you are right. That is unless you are germany or china. Those two have good mercs and need them to improve their unit composition.
Austria supahons
Dragoon
ESO: supahons

Post by supahons »

Some are really good, if they are available on the map, but you have to build a saloon first. Then there are a few game changing shipments (the problem is that you can't spend your resources immediately and have to wait). In general you should only build them for fun.

:arrow: https://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=14714
:arrow: https://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=15035
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

mercenaries are good in supremacy, but never good in treaty, which is the answer you wanted per the section this thread is in ^^
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Can mercs be useful for Germany in treaty? They get quite substantial upgrade cards and lack unit types such as musks. Highlanders could make up for that?!
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag agentyoyo
Skirmisher

Post by agentyoyo »

duckzilla wrote:Can...

probably not. heres a convo for removing mercs from india deck in vs germans. if it helps
https://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php ... erc#p82262
Austria supahons
Dragoon
ESO: supahons

Post by supahons »

duckzilla wrote:Can mercs be useful for Germany in treaty? They get quite substantial upgrade cards and lack unit types such as musks. Highlanders could make up for that?!

I think you forget the overall slow production rate of mercenaries and the one saloon only. You would also have to build a saloon first before you choose your deck. (What if you don't get the mercenary you want on the map?)

I don't think that they are effecive against imperial units too. Perhaps add some mercenaries to your starting army for fun if you have Mamelukes on the map? Idk, i've never tried this ;)
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

No merc is pop efficient vs upgraded imperial units
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

So many new threads by new forum members about the viability of mercs over the years. So many... there is some major dissonance between what mercs are designed to be and how weak they actually are. Hmmmmm... nah, it's probably nothing
Ireland Snow Lynx
Musketeer

Post by Snow Lynx »

Depends on the Mercs and what Civ you are. The only time I ever really use them is 1) If i’m Dutch, cos they’re making good coin by age 2, and having a few mercs on age 2 is always pretty good 2) I’m Japan and there’s Li’l Bombards available to hire. It’s good to be able to buy a big cannon with something other than export if the situation really requires it =D

I would say as well that as Japan it’s handy buying mercs if you need them for something specific as one of the upgrades from the Consulate enables you to make a block of 10 soldiers at a time rather than the usual 5, which makes training a decent amount of mercs more viable.

Plus, let’s be honest - mercs are cool lol =D
How do you write a signature?