What should the goal be in NR20?

United States of America randerzbobanderz
Musketeer
ESO: RandyBobandy

What should the goal be in NR20?

Post by randerzbobanderz »

In a Nr20 game should you try to get to age IV and have a strong mass, or get to V and get all the eco techs researched, but a smaller army?

Also, what should deck composition look like? Should it be a mix of age III military unit shipments and a NR40 deck?
European Union Scroogie
Lancer
ESO: Scroogie
GameRanger ID: 10056919

Re: What should the goal be in NR20?

Post by Scroogie »

I never played that but i guess you can get imperial all upgrades and barely an army to immediately start fighting (else ur toast). Deck prolly all upgrades except for 3vill 5vill 700w which u need to ff quickly and have the ability to boom quickly.
Me being slightly ahead vs H2O: Image
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

age 5 in almost every case. in 1v1, spain can revolt, but that's one of the few cases you should stay age 4. never should have age 3 unit shipments, but yes to age 4 unit shipments.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

to resign at 20:01 and play a proper gamemode
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Hazza54321 wrote:to resign at 20:01 and play a proper gamemode

I've heard your biceps grows if you do that
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

depends on map/civ

sometimes you can go V and wall your base enough to be able to defend with artillery and ranged units, in case enemy goes for a strong push.

But if you get greedy with capitol and imperial techs you might die to an age IV push.

staying age4 means you will have to push hard if your enemy is in the fifth age, or stay back and age yourself.

Either way make sure you hide units to not show intentions.
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

As cometk said age 5, if you get 2-3 bastion walls before tr ends you can be fine even if your start army is 1-2 mins late. Most civs use eco shipments to speed up their boom and mili shipments to speed up creation/upgrading of start army, won’t go into mili shipments cause I’m not as sure about that and it’s probably more down to preference anyway but imo here are the extra shipments each civ should use in addition to the standard tr40 deck, assuming decent res and not Deccan:

Aztec: 5v, 8v, maybe 3wp

Brits: With cowing you just need estates

China: The card that makes a vill spawn from every tc and village, I think you just need one

Dutch: 4v and probably 3v

France: 3cdb (maybe can skip), 4 cdb, 10 cdb

Germany: 2sw, 3sw, 6 sw (send 6sw again in imperial to max out on sw without needing Germantown farmers)

India: standard tr40 boom maybe with medicine. It’s not that India is particularly fast, they just don’t really have good cards for speeding up their boom (no vill shipments). Maybe good faith -> 300 export supremacy build is viable here with tp start

Iro: not sure, I guess 3v 5v, maybe free farm/plant upgrades card

Japan: 7v, maybe 4v

Otto: 3v, 4v 1kw. Only civ that should use a crate shipment in nr20 imo, the wood helps so much with mosque ups, probably saves a full minute of wood chopping.

Ports: standard tr40 boom

Russia: standard tr40 boom but make sure it’s a version with distributism

Spain: 5v, medicine, maybe 3v

Sioux: not sure, I guess 3v 4v 25% medicine card
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
Great Britain thomasgreen6
Lancer
ESO: Thomasgreen6

Post by thomasgreen6 »

Like deathmatch on smackdown patch, for example
'I'm gonna win this and I'm just gonna enjoy it' - Tibia 2k18

http://www.Twitch.tv/thomasgreen6
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

someone say deathmatch?
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

I'm not very good at nr20 but from my experience, if you're playing it out in age 4, it means either you picked a shit civ or you're misplaying
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Kaiserklein wrote:I'm not very good
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Kaiserklein wrote:I'm not very good but from my experience it means a shit
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Hazza54321 wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:I'm not very good

But in bed I am <3
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

Tr20 is more complex than 40- some civs are better suited to trying to force an age 4 push with a huge mass (aztec is a good example here) and kind of just... yolo it and hope for an immediate win and some are able to jump V pretty easily like brits or france. I like what was said about a spain revolt also, just all in, potentially even with unction ready to back those imperial huss and cannons

I think tr20 is really the most difficult treaty time as its just very difficult to play perfectly
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Your goal should to be win the game. Nr20 is pretty much in middle grounds of sup/tr. Games can end in 30- secs or last 30+ mins, and it all depends on single factor "your boom". Of course your boom depends on multiple factors such as most importantly map.

Your goal according to every civilization (tier wise) should be as follows.

1) Japan: Japan is probably the most op and safest bet on any map as it only needs mines and trees to boom and these are often enough. Age 5 should be the target regardless of map. Combined these with some of the best units in game these civilization is near unbeatable in right hands.
Ideal start army : Yumi archers + clubs from consulate + flaming arrows. Of course there are variations and some good all in strats but I will let you figure that out for yourself. PS: You can get upto 283/200 as start army with Japan.

2) Port: One of the easiest civilization to boom, but food heavy so may struggle to get age 5 + full army on some maps. Age 5 should be target on good map even if you think you will have army delayed by a min or 2. Age 4 on extremely low hunt maps but in this case you probably should over pop with 5 organ shipment and church techs.

Ideal start army : Jinetes + organ guns, upgrade cass/huss depending on opponent civ asap. Church army overpop + 5 organ shipment overpop on bad map and age 4.

3) British: This one is tricky as you have multiple booms for this civilization and all of them are viable with very different start armies.
A) Cow boom: 2nd Toughest boom in treaty after Iroquois cow boom. This is ideally what you should be doing as in long run it just outshines other boom. Coin heavy boom so may struggle on some low mine maps. Still age 5 is easily possible along with almost full army.
B) Manor boom: Now this is pretty easy to do if you grind it. Needs food and gold, so not viable on low hunt maps. On good map age 5 + army, on low res map age 4 + army.

Army: Now be warned British gets the scariest start army on a good map. How about 12+ rockets 5 culv, few musketeers + 26 skirmisher + 9 highlanders + 25 native shipment? Some people have been able to get in excess of 30 rockets and over pop. But again be warned you need to win the fight or else you lose, so its a gamble kind off all in rush.

Now I am tired so I will complete other civilizations later.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Waste of 18 minutes
Austria supahons
Dragoon
ESO: supahons

Post by supahons »

~2nd Lt games you should just win with a good age5 BO on high resources maps and then build an army and upgrade 1-2 units to imperial. (villagers/permanent upgrades/~1-2 age4 shipments for emergencies) Most likely the other player won't reach age5 and try to win in age4. Just make sure your opponent doesn't play civs like the Indians/Ottomans/Spanish (~revolt) or suprises you with a troll build unit flood. Focus on army and then slowly get the upgrades. Add Landgrab for low resources maps, if you want to play age5 especially with the weaker civs for fun.

For 1 Lt+ expect everything (the ladder is very inactive). You'll have a hard time, if you are testing eg. new Civs/BOs and if the opponent knows your plan and scouts your army it's a 1 min game.
Record all the games and watch the BO from better players, then you learn the most. It takes quite a long time to know all the possibities you can encounter and to adjust correctly, if needed.
Great Britain Black_Duck
Dragoon
ESO: Tom
Clan: DUKC

Post by Black_Duck »

princeofcarthage wrote:Your goal should to be win the game. Nr20 is pretty much in middle grounds of sup/tr. Games can end in 30- secs or last 30+ mins, and it all depends on single factor "your boom". Of course your boom depends on multiple factors such as most importantly map.

1) Japan: Japan is probably the most op and safest bet on any map as it only needs mines and trees to boom and these are often enough. Age 5 should be the target regardless of map. Combined these with some of the best units in game these civilization is near unbeatable in right hands.
Ideal start army : Yumi archers + clubs from consulate + flaming arrows. Of course there are variations and some good all in strats but I will let you figure that out for yourself. PS: You can get upto 283/200 as start army with Japan.

2) Port: One of the easiest civilization to boom, but food heavy so may struggle to get age 5 + full army on some maps. Age 5 should be target on good map even if you think you will have army delayed by a min or 2. Age 4 on extremely low hunt maps but in this case you probably should over pop with 5 organ shipment and church techs.

Ideal start army : Jinetes + organ guns, upgrade cass/huss depending on opponent civ asap. Church army overpop + 5 organ shipment overpop on bad map and age 4.

3) British: This one is tricky as you have multiple booms for this civilization and all of them are viable with very different start armies.
A) Cow boom: 2nd Toughest boom in treaty after Iroquois cow boom. This is ideally what you should be doing as in long run it just outshines other boom. Coin heavy boom so may struggle on some low mine maps. Still age 5 is easily possible along with almost full army.
B) Manor boom: Now this is pretty easy to do if you grind it. Needs food and gold, so not viable on low hunt maps. On good map age 5 + army, on low res map age 4 + army.

Army: Now be warned British gets the scariest start army on a good map. How about 12+ rockets 5 culv, few musketeers + 26 skirmisher + 9 highlanders + 25 native shipment? Some people have been able to get in excess of 30 rockets and over pop. But again be warned you need to win the fight or else you lose, so its a gamble kind off all in rush.

Brits: Basically train rockets mixed with whatever the counter unit is Amsterda is owning you with.
Challenged_Macro wrote: Respect Mussolini guys,if hes triggered there is always a reason.
Mussolini wrote: I hope corona gets you, your family and all your fuckin relatives as you fuckin deserve it for being cocky
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Isn't NR20 like a legit, proper game mode?
United States of America randerzbobanderz
Musketeer
ESO: RandyBobandy

Post by randerzbobanderz »

kami_ryu wrote:Isn't NR20 like a legit, proper game mode?

Yeah it is
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Black_Duck wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:Your goal should to be win the game. Nr20 is pretty much in middle grounds of sup/tr. Games can end in 30- secs or last 30+ mins, and it all depends on single factor "your boom". Of course your boom depends on multiple factors such as most importantly map.

Brits: Basically train rockets mixed with whatever the counter unit is Amsterda is owning you with.

Amsterda owning me never happens, secondly what if someone else is playing brit? Amster is not even scary, people just not knowing how to make culv is issue
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Great Britain Black_Duck
Dragoon

Post by Black_Duck »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Black_Duck wrote:

Amsterda owning me never happens, secondly what if someone else is playing brit? Amster is not even scary, people just not knowing how to make culv is issue

I meant a person in generally usually me....
Challenged_Macro wrote: Respect Mussolini guys,if hes triggered there is always a reason.
Mussolini wrote: I hope corona gets you, your family and all your fuckin relatives as you fuckin deserve it for being cocky
Great Britain Black_Duck
Dragoon

Post by Black_Duck »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Black_Duck wrote:

And culv is the counter unit :chinese:
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

Yea against amsterda just make 3 culvs with whatever army you’re making (usually musk to be safe if he starts cav) and you’re fine
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

There was a big surge in 3v3 NR20 Deccan games a few years ago and I remember them being a ton of fun. It's a horribly imbalanced game mode, with a handful of civs absolutely dominating the others. If you're just starting out, Ports are probably your best bet. They have an easy boom and Jinete/organ counters pretty much everything.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.