How to beat Aztecs as Brits in nr40.

India TNT333
Lancer
ESO: TNT333

How to beat Aztecs as Brits in nr40.

Post by TNT333 »

Just played a 2 hour 4v4 nr40 game recently as brits in deccan and I was up against an Aztec player in the central plateau. Both the teams had a russia so ever1 was just cranking out their infantry units. I used a longbow and musk composition against him with some rockets and native skirms, but the coyotes were really annoying and my musks couldn't kill them efficiently and so my longbow and rockets were killed pretty easily. Any advice on what to go vs Aztecs??
"We are kings or pawns" Napoleon Bonaparte
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Re: How to beat Aztecs as Brits in nr40.

Post by princeofcarthage »

Well you need to wall aggresively
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

Do hussar+musk+cannon or just musk cannon do better? Longbow have poor animation time and few upgrades. Though I'm not sure if you're playing treaty patch.
India TNT333
Lancer

Post by TNT333 »

fei123456 wrote:Do hussar+musk+cannon or just musk cannon do better? Longbow have poor animation time and few upgrades. Though I'm not sure if you're playing treaty patch.
It was in RE patch. I tried using cannon but the coyote runners are too fast and manage to kill my cannons off. Also, he went mostly ERK so they tanked a few shots from the cannons
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

TNT333 wrote:
fei123456 wrote:Do hussar+musk+cannon or just musk cannon do better? Longbow have poor animation time and few upgrades. Though I'm not sure if you're playing treaty patch.
It was in RE patch. I tried using cannon but the coyote runners are too fast and manage to kill my cannons off. Also, he went mostly ERK so they tanked a few shots from the cannons
A good Aztec player with Russia type spam is going to be challenging for Brits. You need that hussar wall to fend off jag knights (did he make many?) from your muskets.

Muskets do not trade well with ERK and with the 1000 coin card that economy is pretty steady. So really you need him to make coyote runners to hopefully drain their team of wood. So LB are a good choice but.... since brit is at a deficit to aztecs hard counters, there is a trick you are going to need to learn.

In situations like that I delete down 20 vils (hopefully you have mastered the brit boom and can afford to do with vs some civs) If you can maintain your population in battle your kill ratios will help balance out and can have the power to save your LB group. A good kill ratio (different for every civ) is the key to winning as its what can multiply the effect of your economic boom, or deplete it.
Basically you need the extra pop to swing the strength of the ERK to allow you to use hussars in situations.

Some things to help:
use your towers offensively, and keep your units close by them so coyotes have more trouble getting the wrap around.
You are going to have to throw everything u got at him for a while, musk, huss, cannon, LB using lots of muskets. And muskets go in melee once coyotes are near. If he is using a jag and coyote mix is where that fails and more hussar are needed too as they survive a little longer to allow your LB and cannons to get a few extra sots off. you your cannons. and hussar for melee shield and task to arrow knights.
India TNT333
Lancer

Post by TNT333 »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:
TNT333 wrote:

A good Aztec player with Russia type spam is going to be challenging for Brits. You need that hussar wall to fend off jag knights (did he make many?) from your muskets.

Actually, he did not make any Jaguars now that I recall. I think he went full ERK+ coyotes+ some arrow knights and weirdly a couple of maces as well, so I didnt go for hussars.

Muskets do not trade well with ERK and with the 1000 coin card that economy is pretty steady. So really you need him to make coyote runners to hopefully drain their team of wood. So LB are a good choice but.... since brit is at a deficit to aztecs hard counters, there is a trick you are going to need to learn.

In situations like that I delete down 20 vils (hopefully you have mastered the brit boom and can afford to do with vs some civs) If you can maintain your population in battle your kill ratios will help balance out and can have the power to save your LB group. A good kill ratio (different for every civ) is the key to winning as its what can multiply the effect of your economic boom, or deplete it.

I did cow boom though I'm not that good at it(still learning) and by the late game I had around 70 vills on food since musks cost more food than gold. It never came to me that I should delete vills . I'll try that next time.

Basically you need the extra pop to swing the strength of the ERK to allow you to use hussars in situations.

Some things to help:
use your towers offensively, and keep your units close by them so coyotes have more trouble getting the wrap around.
You are going to have to throw everything u got at him for a while, musk, huss, cannon, LB using lots of muskets. And muskets go in melee once coyotes are near. If he is using a jag and coyote mix is where that fails and more hussar are needed too as they survive a little longer to allow your LB and cannons to get a few extra sots off. you your cannons. and hussar for melee shield and task to arrow knights.
Another thing I might add is that one of my teammates was India and he was pretty good so our wood supply didnt run out as fast( I could sustain natives and longbow production). Thanks a lot for the advice.

Also, do dragons do good against ERK??
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

now if you have an india team mate you should have had india go for aztec.

Aztec have no good solutions for waves or urumi. they just eat up jag knights and push the whole army forward. along with tigers, great infantry, and ability to maintain FB with barracks building keeps aztec at bay.
Its one of the few civs that can out infantry aztec without relying on cannons. And out eco them too.

India is another civ with fur trade can delete down a little and have way more power on the field.
Its not as one sided as say china vs france, but I can not remember a time i lost to aztec as india.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

You do not need to make goons, they are slightly helpful vs coyote runners, but too inefficient vs everything else so just use muskets in melee if coyote runners are making contact.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Mostly played defensively, flank walls towers lbs and musks to block, inf rockets are also nice, can use these to even target the arrow knights (28 range is not so bad compared to 30 especially if you consider arrowknights setup time). Basically you want a line of musk in front of your lbs at all times so most of the time you should be spamming musks.
India TNT333
Lancer

Post by TNT333 »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:now if you have an india team mate you should have had india go for aztec.

Aztec have no good solutions for waves or urumi. they just eat up jag knights and push the whole army forward. along with tigers, great infantry, and ability to maintain FB with barracks building keeps aztec at bay.
Its one of the few civs that can out infantry aztec without relying on cannons. And out eco them too.

India is another civ with fur trade can delete down a little and have way more power on the field.
Its not as one sided as say china vs france, but I can not remember a time i lost to aztec as india.
Yeah, but we didnt know Aztecs would come in the middle since it was half map, and india spawned in the right side lol.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

Even though rockets are good and free, horse cannon are really better vs aztec. lines of jags need to be taken out fast, and the rocket is better for large groups of ranged infantry. Sometimes it seems even direct hits do not kill units. But horse cannon shots can blow away a few units and give time for the next wave. If he is all ERK though rockets are good. Still have to use them cuz they are free. but keep in mind
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

The question is how do you NOT beat Aztecs with Brits in NR40 on RE on Deccan.

Btw, usually spamming horse art is one way to lose.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

So cannons are bad... maybe if your opponent has over abundance of arrow knights you can just out infantry them, but really care to explain that? and define spamming (to me that is making the unit despite your enemy only making its counter unit)
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Aztecs can train 5-10 arrow knights in 10 seconds to deal with any amount of horse art easily, it's just not worth it.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

Everything has a counter to it. Aztecs get a quick reaction because they have to play with 90 pop army, and have some important units with a weaker stat profile, as well as it is unadvisable for delete down for a larger pop. it really depends on how aztec plays. Some players like to send waves of jag knights and coyote for an aggressive style. Euro civs really need some cannon in that case. If they are mostly ERK then cannons are harder to use because it is very difficult to kill those arrow knights with cavalry. But then its a long slow battle of ERK vs long bow, where the rockets are more effective. But rockets seem to do very little vs jag knights. It is the culv/ anti- cannon game that wins games and aztec do have a pretty good defense vs it. So no you cannot spam them, but having a few helps to make sure they have to react and try to micro them. It then also puts them in the position of having <20% army to a unit that is best vs buildings while you also react quickly with a reinforcement batch. LB are not as good vs jag knights as skirms are so can't play it the same way as other euro civs.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Idk jags in a mass ranged infantry fight the aztec player is just going to drain. Muskets and lbs so trade well vs expensive jags. Also erk are good but brit musks trade well vs them id say
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

How could your musks not efficiently kill coyotes?
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

Erks would trade fine against brit musks, but the train time on the eagle runners depletes your mass unless you sacrifice 38% attack to all units for fertility dance and azzys eco is just weaker so the cost effectiveness is negated. Longbows turn erks into pincushions though, and rockets are fairly effective against erk spam too. Jpk shouldnt ever be much of a problem in crowded fights
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

Hazza54321 wrote:Idk jags in a mass ranged infantry fight the aztec player is just going to drain. Muskets and lbs so trade well vs expensive jags. Also erk are good but brit musks trade well vs them id say

I agree jags are expensive and have some drawbacks, but at lower levels some people play that way. Its like the german players who dopple box all the time. 50% will get stopped but the other times a group gets in to kill a factory or 2 and that was all thats needed to win the game.

they do work really good with coyote runners for a strong melee play. Its more aggressive and can gain territory faster than a mostly ERK/ arrow knight army can (you should still always have 20-30 ERK at all times though, enough that you can counter any cavalry they try to send to easily, but not so many that he decides he simply can not make any cavalry.

I also experience that as long as aztec is making coin/ food units can hold out pretty much forever. mainly because ERK take a long time to die and the 1000 coin card is continuously sent. I have has like 70 vils on food, 20 on coin (at fight) and 10 on wood or building and it seems to hold out unless I run out of wood to chop. (ratio varies and changes as needed to add more to coin or not)
I like aztec but they are not going to win the economy war with brits, so they have to be aggressive, get on top of that FB and knock it out quick.

also another thing I like to do is save the big button upgrades for later. the first wave is going to be met with an enemy first wave and will be expecting 200+ pop army. You may have to spam out a bit of units to start the battle and keep your place, but then you have this nice little back up strat that can be used in some circumstances. Such as preventing a base trade when you are close to getting in their base. You can send that army anywhere to fight/ defend an area while your attacking army can still do its job. You can win a piece of territory that way when they are unprepared to split to fight a 200+ pop army. Sometimes both objectives can be gained.
Germany JulianK
ESOC Pro Team
EPL Reigning Champs

Post by JulianK »

Yeah, I'm not sure how RE coyotes could ever be a threat to any british unit lol. Simply holding pop with a musk/longbow mix should deal with anything aztec can do, assuming you have a natural british res bank.