Basic treaty advice

Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Basic treaty advice

Post by pecelot »

Recently I started playing treaty games more frequently, usually 2v2 with my friend on Orinoco. Currently I'm about PR23 in 1v1 so I think I know at least the basics of the game, but my knowledge about NR isn't that good apparently. I have some thoughts about the mechanics, I'm not sure however whether they are true.
I heard once that sending any military, eco or resource shipments aren't valuable in treaty, which makes sense for me. It is certainly better to send Economic theory, which improves your eco throughout the whole game, than i.e. 3 vills. On the other hand, when I was reading some tactics lately and noticed ones that included 3 vills, 5 vills, 1000g and so on. What should I do then?
What card order should one have? I used to send eco cards at first - wood or trickles in the beginning of the game, then Refrigeration and Royal mint, 2 Factories and after that Mills and Plantations upgrades. Is it right? When it finally comes to military cards, then what first? Production speed or strenght of my units?
What are the main priorities while playing NR? As a French player (OP!) I research HD in age I, then age up ASAP, in transition I cut some wood for other Market upgrades, FF, 3 TCs in age III, collecting only food and coin to advance to Industrial for Factories, then Imperial ASAP for Capitol upgrades and if I have much coin - Spies. Eventually transition to Mills and Plantations with an addition of Pens. Is it correct in your opinion? What BO should I follow when playing for example British? I heard that they build a Livestock Pen in the Discovery Age...
What are the most played maps on treaty? I know Orinoco, Deccan, Andes as well, what else?
Is it good to have an infinite card in your deck? I always try to have one and usually it is a shipment of around 20 native units which don't take the pop space but apparently aren't free (2000g). Are they worth it or they are completely useless?
Thanks for your answers.
Germany DerMaxinator
Dragoon
ESO: DerMax

Basic treaty advice

Post by DerMaxinator »

Hi, I dont consider myself a pro in NR, but I think I have some basic knowledge.

To address some of your questions: As French (which I enjoy playing too) I would prefer gathering only enough coin for basic military upgrades (Imperial Skirm and Goon) and eco upgrades, and then switching all settlers to food, to send the all food transfers to more coin card (Don't know the exact name). As for Brit I dont really know the ideal MU, and mostly i just play NR for fun, so I do whatever i want.
The infinite cards are really valuable, especially when it comes to a point, where you cant send any cards anymore, but I prefer infinite resources actually (Wood - Most efficient), because if the game goes really long, the resources really pay off, but I think that is personal preferance.

As I already mentioned I am far away from being a pro in NR, and therefore would not answer the other questions, because i always do whatever i think is good in the moment, but I hope this helped a bit already.

Have fun playing :D
Ain't no skills in makin' vills
No Flag lukasl99
Musketeer

Basic treaty advice

Post by lukasl99 »

Well as you've already figured out it's bad to send crates, villager or unit shipments in treaty. And you usually always send the eco cards, then the training cards, advanced arsenal and then all the military upgrade cards.
French is a pretty easy civ to play (comparable to Otto in sup), so if you want to become decent at treaty I'd advise you to play non OP civs like Ports (very basic and versatile civ, perfect for beginners) or Germans, Brits are kinda hard since you'll have to manage your cow eco all the time during your boom and fight. Booms for most civs can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/user/StorminAOE3/videos (they're a bit outdated but still great for beginners).

But if you want to stick to France your card order should always be: Eco theory, refrigeration, royal mint, 2 factories, sustainable agriculture, food silos, the fur trade, advanced arsenal, riding school, fencing school and then the rest. Only collect coin for the 2 capitol upgrades in age 5 and mercantile, then just gather food with like 70-75 vills, the rest+factories on wood and send the fur trade so it arrives like 4 minutes before the treaty ends (otherwise you'll run out of food).

Most played maps are indeed Andes, Orinoco and Deccan' sometimes Ozarks and Himalayas I believe.

Infinite shipments are totally worth it, especially native shipments if they're available, also don't forget the infinite heavy cannon for Germans or 2 rockets for Brits.

Basic tips for the fight: Keep 200 pop at all times with a decent unit composition (shouldn't be too hard with France...20-30 skirms and the rest cuir and you should be fine vs most civs) and NEVER buy spies.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Basic treaty advice

Post by pecelot »

Thank you guys. I had a question about such cards as Fur trade for France, but you already answered :)
Are Spies so bad? Isn't it worth it sometimes?
One more question about decks - what cards should I pick? I think that eco is the most improtant thing, but what about for example 3rd Plantation upgrade (in age I) for France or wood gathering upgrades on Orinoco? There aren't many trees there so I'm wondering whether it's a valuable card...
No Flag lukasl99
Musketeer

Basic treaty advice

Post by lukasl99 »

pecelot wrote:Thank you guys. I had a question about such cards as Fur trade for France, but you already answered :)
Are Spies so bad? Isn''t it worth it sometimes?
One more question about decks - what cards should I pick? I think that eco is the most improtant thing, but what about for example 3rd Plantation upgrade (in age I) for France or wood gathering upgrades on Orinoco? There aren''t many trees there so I''m wondering whether it''s a valuable card...
Yes spies are always bad, especially if you''re playing on orinoco. I mean the only "understandable" reason would be to catch your opponent trying to jump so you see his army on the minimap if you have spies (still very bad) but on Ori..?

If you''re using natives (which you always should as france) you should use the deck I posted below (you don''t have enough space for a wood card in your deck and trees will run out on Ori anyway so it''s not that useful either way). Also I didn''t put the age 2 and age 3 plantation upgrades in since you should usually win before your coin runs out anyways and military upgrades are more important here. If you''re not using natives you can put the cheaper nats and native combat cards out and add the 2 missing plantation cards.
Attachments
Unbenannt.JPG
No Flag aoefan4life
Lancer

Basic treaty advice

Post by aoefan4life »

Good luck with other players letting you go France.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Basic treaty advice

Post by Jaeger »

lukasl99 wrote:
pecelot wrote:Thank you guys. I had a question about such cards as Fur trade for France, but you already answered :)
Are Spies so bad? Isnt it worth it sometimes?
One more question about decks - what cards should I pick? I think that eco is the most improtant thing, but what about for example 3rd Plantation upgrade (in age I) for France or wood gathering upgrades on Orinoco? There arent many trees there so Im wondering whether its a valuable card...
Yes spies are always bad, especially if youre playing on orinoco. I mean the only "understandable" reason would be to catch your opponent trying to jump so you see his army on the minimap if you have spies (still very bad) but on Ori..?

If youre using natives (which you always should as france) you should use the deck I posted below (you dont have enough space for a wood card in your deck and trees will run out on Ori anyway so its not that useful either way). Also I didnt put the age 2 and age 3 plantation upgrades in since you should usually win before your coin runs out anyways and military upgrades are more important here. If youre not using natives you can put the cheaper nats and native combat cards out and add the 2 missing plantation cards.
Why dont you have the church card for the eco upgrade?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag PoniPoika
Skirmisher

Basic treaty advice

Post by PoniPoika »

French has too many cards to send for that rly' that deck has nothing that is really expendable in favour of the church card if using natives. The church card is also a bit awkward to fit into the boom naturally iirc. Also the extra wood cost for buildings is a reasonably big deal since it will take away from the amount of food you gather before fur trade, which counteracts the advantage you would get if sending it during the boom. Also if we assume a map like orinoco, the low amount of wood on the map will exacerbate the issue, especially if you need to transition onto plantations at some point. Tho all of this is just from what I remember from playing trt before and I never played much french for obvious reasons.
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Basic treaty advice

Post by bart331 »

Take enough coffee so you dont fall a sleep, many ppl loose like this

In case you are struggling with the boredom, try to take a small break. A 5 min walk wouldnt hurt you but can keep you sharp for the upcoming fight.

Try to eat before the match, the stress might cause loss of apetite which can affect ur gameplay in the long run

Success!
France benj89
Howdah

Basic treaty advice

Post by benj89 »

why do you consider the infinite merch (elmeti right?) card worth it? I never used this card, so im just curious
talking abt coffee i'm in this weird situation where u are exhausted but drank to much redbull, so can't fall alseep. messed up :angryapple:
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Basic treaty advice

Post by Garja »

advice n.1: don't play treaty
Image Image Image
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Basic treaty advice

Post by bart331 »

benj89 wrote:why do you consider the infinite merch (elmeti right?) card worth it? I never used this card, so im just curious
talking abt coffee i''m in this weird situation where u are exhausted but drank to much redbull, so can''t fall alseep. messed up? :angryapple:

Thats problem with red bull it gives short time boost but afterwards a big dip. Imo better stay away from drinking such amounts of cafeine for ur own health.
Denmark crjensen4
Dragoon
Donator 07
ESO: crjensen4

Basic treaty advice

Post by crjensen4 »

Are we talking tr40 or ?
Big difference in the card setup depending on the length.

Advice no 2. Don't listen to Garja tr games can be a lot of fun
No Flag jaype22
Musketeer

Basic treaty advice

Post by jaype22 »

Church card is bad cause your buildings will be 50% more expensive and you don't really have space for it in your deck.

Infinite elmeti card is bad cause it costs pop and cuir are way better anyway.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Basic treaty advice

Post by pecelot »

NR40, but mainly NR 55 with massive walling on Orinoco :D
Portugal sergyou
Lancer

Basic treaty advice

Post by sergyou »

garja wrote:advice n.1: don''t play treaty
Just because u dont enjoy treaty , doesnt mean u have to encourage people to not play it or not like it , its just preferences .
No Flag bugattivitesse
Skirmisher

Basic treaty advice

Post by bugattivitesse »

Are Spies so bad? Isn''t it worth it sometimes?
One more question about decks - what cards should I pick? I think that eco is the most improtant thing, but what about for example 3rd Plantation upgrade (in age I) for France or wood gathering upgrades on Orinoco? There aren''t many trees there so I''m wondering whether it''s a valuable card...
When doing treaty 40 with russia, spies + opris are a must. Its just too easy.
No Flag lukasl99
Musketeer

Basic treaty advice

Post by lukasl99 »

bugattivitesse wrote:
Are Spies so bad? Isnt it worth it sometimes?
One more question about decks - what cards should I pick? I think that eco is the most improtant thing, but what about for example 3rd Plantation upgrade (in age I) for France or wood gathering upgrades on Orinoco? There arent many trees there so Im wondering whether its a valuable card...
When doing treaty 40 with russia, spies + opris are a must. Its just too easy.
Yeah but I guess youre playing vs lower players. If your opponents are above lvl 23 theyll know how to counter opri boxes and after it failed you lost map control completely. Spies are just useless and too expensive.
No Flag bugattivitesse
Skirmisher

Basic treaty advice

Post by bugattivitesse »

lukasl99 wrote:
bugattivitesse wrote:When doing treaty 40 with russia, spies + opris are a must. Its just too easy.
Yeah but I guess youre playing vs lower players. If your opponents are above lvl 23 theyll know how to counter opri boxes and after it failed you lost map control completely. Spies are just useless and too expensive.
It depends on the map i think. For Orinico, sure they are useless. But for great plains, its nice to have. I wasnt talking about opri boxes actually, just little attacks using 10-15 opris around the map can be very useful. They distract from the main battle, and whenever Russia can do that, thats what you want to do.
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Basic treaty advice

Post by yurashic »

Most things were already said, but I remember one interesting thing that you can do with France in treaty, at least it worked on vanilla. The church upgrade gives you 10% more gathering and 50% more expensive buildings. What you do is:
1. Set the foundations of plantations, the more the better.
2. Use church upgrade.
3. Now plantations cost 1200 wood, delete the foundations and you get 400 wood for each one for free!
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Basic treaty advice

Post by _venox_ »

yurashic wrote:Most things were already said, but I remember one interesting thing that you can do with France in treaty, at least it worked on vanilla. The church upgrade gives you 10% more gathering and 50% more expensive buildings. What you do is:
2. Use church upgrade.
3. Now plantations cost 1200 wood, delete the foundations and you get 400 wood for each one for free!
nice trick but does it actually work??
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Basic treaty advice

Post by lemmings121 »

nr55? omg... @bart331, bring more coffee.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Basic treaty advice

Post by pecelot »

venox wrote:
yurashic wrote:Most things were already said, but I remember one interesting thing that you can do with France in treaty, at least it worked on vanilla. The church upgrade gives you 10% more gathering and 50% more expensive buildings. What you do is:
2. Use church upgrade.
nice trick but does it actually work??
I checked it a while ago but forgot to post the answer: it didnt work for me.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Basic treaty advice

Post by gibson »

So are spies worth it in 1x1 nr40 on great Plains?