Re: suggestion for small tournament TWC

Post by pecelot »

But maybe with proper civ rules we could make that happen :hmm:
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Hey, it's this thread again!

I'm personally not interested in organizing it for the obvious reason that it will be a pure Aztecs mirror tournament, as people will try to win if there's a competitive spirit. I know you just want to see Sioux, but you're going to be extremely disappointed. Having to choose from two civilizations would get boring quite quickly.

Your answer where quite disappointing, tbo.
And there are 3 civs in TWC, not 2.
Someone earlier suggested bo5, where you have to play all civs one time, and that could solve the issue you are raising :?: :!:
Over the last tournaments, we have seen the overplaying of European civs, to a point where its getting a bit boring imo. I think much of this "overplaying" of a few civs, has mostly to do with ppl not knowing how to play natives in a competitive way, so they go for the "safe" choice. When almost all of them do this, its becoming to narrow.
One more point to be made; the tournaments are also tutorials for us more inexperienced players. When the civs are narrowed down, it has ramifications to also narrow down the choices of us watching when we play our self (I think) :unsure:

Finally; when you watch Japan tournaments, there are plenty of natives being played there.
By having a small tournament with these fun civs, I think it could B enrichment for the whole community, for educational purpose and the share fun of it
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

iwillspankyou wrote:

I'm personally not interested in organizing it for the obvious reason that it will be a pure Aztecs mirror tournament, as people will try to win if there's a competitive spirit. I know you just want to see Sioux, but you're going to be extremely disappointed. Having to choose from two civilizations would get boring quite quickly.

Someone earlier suggested bo5, where you have to play all civs one time, and that could solve the issue you are raising :?: :!:
Over the last tournaments, we have seen the overplaying of European civs, to a point where its getting a bit boring imo. I think much of this "overplaying" of a few civs, has mostly to do with ppl not knowing how to play natives in a competitive way, so they go for the "safe" choice. When almost all of them do this, its becoming to narrow.
One more point to be made; the tournaments are also tutorials for us more inexperienced players. When the civs are narrowed down, it has ramifications to also narrow down the choices of us watching when we play our self (I think) :unsure:

Finally; when you watch Japan tournaments, there are plenty of natives being played there.
By having a small tournament with these fun civs, I think it could B enrichment for the whole community, for educational purpose and the share fun of it

jp plays on RE patch tho and recently they even started using RE maps aswell so iro obviously prevails.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

@lordraphael said:
jp plays on RE patch tho and recently they even started using RE maps aswell so iro obviously prevails.

I dont follow quite what you mean here :shock: would like you to explain it. Do you suggest that Iro would be preferred over the other civs? Same way @momuuu think Aztecs will be the preferred civ?
Or maybe Sioux also have a fair chance now?
I think we have to see it, before drawing any conclusions, cos I think the 3 civs are all compatible now.

Or are a lot of Op players that mainly play European civs, feeling a little threatened that there domination in tournament could B challenged :shock: :?:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I dont think that people fear that at all. TWC civs are just not that interesting to many. Even iroquois, easily the strongest civ on RE, is very underplayed, in particular if you compare it to how frequently otto (the other really good civ) is played. People just dont find the civs interesting..
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Jerom wrote:I dont think that people fear that at all. TWC civs are just not that interesting to many. Even iroquois, easily the strongest civ on RE, is very underplayed, in particular if you compare it to how frequently otto (the other really good civ) is played. People just dont find the civs interesting..

well, I will refer to my previous post, stating that there are just to low skills among many good players, and that is the main reason why we do not see them.
Japan and Korean players play them very much. Why do you think that is the case?
This was an attempt to try to fix that issue. I bet there are a lot of ppl who are interested in them though. Many ppl have supported my request thus far.
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

I would take a different approach, since your goal is to promote TWC civs. Thus, you wanna show their gameplay vs actual popular civs
Alternating TWC civ pick:
- bo3 or higher
- first player( based on elo or whatever) picks any civ they want
- second player picks a twc civ
- vice versa after each game

Imo, this is a more suitable format, but Im afraid that good players still wouldnt be interested to participate.
r]
European Union matty1248
Crossbow

Post by matty1248 »

Yeh, i quite like this idea. People put too much precedent on a versatile map pool over encouraging more use of the civs. It would even be good in tourneys if players were forced to play asian and wc civs at least once as of the BO5's or something. They are certainly fun civs too
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

Jerom wrote:Well aztec mirrors are boring, Sioux mirrors don't seem interesting to me really, iro mirrors might be somewhat fun. Iro vs Sioux seems pretty boring to me, Aztec vs sioux too, aztec vs iro doesn't seem that interesting to me either. So there are no real interesting match ups. TWC civs are honestly rather bland.

British mirrors where you make 1 unit and French, German and Dutch semi ff skirm wars are off course way more interesting, right?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Jerom wrote:Well aztec mirrors are boring, Sioux mirrors don't seem interesting to me really, iro mirrors might be somewhat fun. Iro vs Sioux seems pretty boring to me, Aztec vs sioux too, aztec vs iro doesn't seem that interesting to me either. So there are no real interesting match ups. TWC civs are honestly rather bland.

Lol they are way more unique and offer way more styles of play than euro civs among each other. The only thing lacking is a good water adversary for aztec. Otherwise its actually rather balanced and fun on re anyway. On ep im afraid sioux might dominate now that iro has fallen off the scales
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

All mirrors are shit to play and watch
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

Natives have a few problems with them. the one that makes me most frustrated is the loading animations which make them much less controllable. Even their villagers have a super long loading animation to herd.

That being said, would need to think through the rules that could make it interesting. Native civs tend to have clear win/loss vs other native civs and other civs in general.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

looking forward to the results after thinking @_H2O :P :flowers:
Germany tilanus
Retired Contributor

Post by tilanus »

NE tourney only after NE 2.2 release. :)
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

there are still the question remaining - when and how?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

And if
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Jerom wrote:And if

I guess you dont want this to happen anyway @momuuu - kind of sad. But why you think your should sabotage it? I cant understand that :hmm: kind of not like you attitude - :cry:
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Jerom, stop sabotaging for fuck's sake.
Pay more attention to detail.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

I am looking forward to this.
If I can help in any way, then please tell me :)
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
No Flag Zhanson10
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Zhanson10 »

Anyone else find it odd that they buffed sioux when it was already lame and broken?
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

Zhanson10 wrote:Anyone else find it odd that they buffed sioux when it was already lame and broken?

MR Zhanson keeps on delivering quality meme content.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

iwillspankyou wrote:

a TWC tournament will only cover two civilizations because Sioux is irrelevant in both matchups. Forcing players to play all civilizations is not viable as not all players play all civilizations.

An over-representation of European civilizations won't be solved by hosting a TWC tournament. Rather, you could try talking to the EP team (which only consists of GoodSpeed as far as I'm aware) and give the community an incentive to start playing TWC civs. Guides, videos, anything!
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:a TWC tournament will only cover two civilizations because Sioux is irrelevant in both matchups.
You could add civ rules along the lines of playing a native vs native game in g1 and then alternating one player needing to play a native civ in subsequent games so you could see native vs euro civ matchups.
Mr_Bramboy wrote: Forcing players to play all civilizations is not viable as not all players play all civilizations.
That's kind of the point though, to encourage people to learn the twc civs.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

@Mr_Bramboy said
a TWC tournament will only cover two civilizations because Sioux is irrelevant in both matchups. Forcing players to play all civilizations is not viable as not all players play all civilizations.

Well, I dont share your thought on that, AT ALL :!:
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

@spanky4ever, what rules do you suggest then?