People online hating on AoE3 ?

United States of America rickytickitembo
Dragoon
ESO: RickyTickiTembo

Re: People online hating on AoE3 ?

Post by rickytickitembo »

I originally didn't like aoe3 and even remember writing a review bashing the card system, lack of castles, and a few other things. Just took a bit more playing to come to appreciate it.
My favorite donut is chocolate Aiz.
No Flag ssaraf
Dragoon
ESO: robinhood_xing

Post by ssaraf »

Garja wrote: I think the bad thing about AOE3 is unit shipments popping out during a battle and snaring other stuff. Snare itself is such a non forgiving feature that makes the game hateable.

TBH : The unit shipments popping out and creating a difference is what makes this game a lot more exciting, else, there wud be less ways to come from behind and win
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I mean, don't we all know aoe3 is a pretty damned good game? It just needed people to get through the rocky start which the majority of the people failed to do.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

DaRkNiTe1698 wrote:
pecelot wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Naturally, I meant it — but one can differentiate home cities from decks, just like I distinguished them from cards, even though in order to get the latter — you need the former.

DaRkNiTe1698 wrote:Treasures and Cards are what make aoe3 unbalanced, besides the insanely high number of civilisations. So, if you want to make a more balanced game, eliminating cards, would be a nice idea to balance the game, nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

Insanely high? And you take AoE2 as a good example?
Furthermore, just have a look at the EP Patch Notes and tell me how many of the changes affect cards? I'd say way less than a half.

DaRkNiTe1698 wrote:From what I know, on aoe2 there aren't cards.. so the card system is meant for age3 only. I proposed an alternative way to balance the game, why age4 has to be the same of the age3? With cards u eliminate the balance, just saying. On Sc2 there aren't cards or stuff like that, and it's way more balanced than aoe3 (due the fact it also has less races ofc)

Proper logic here :maniac:
You know what AoE3 has and both AoE2 and SC2 don't? Bison. From what I know, on aoe2 there aren't bison.. so the bison system is meant for age3 only. With bison u eliminate the balance, just saying.
You can't read, I've taken aoe2 as example because it doesn't have cards, from what I know, not because of civ's count. And don't pretend ep is balanced, because it's not, not because the team is not good to balance it, just because there are too many civs to balance. I am sure, some cards were patched, because too strong (5 mams to 4 mams or Yumi card for example). So, either cards get balanced as well, otherwise it's just one of the unbalanced things you find in the game. More than cards, the problem is the number of civ, and as I said before, is insanely high.

I can assure you I can read, your point is still pretty much invalid in my opinion. If you look at AoE2 with 31 civs, 14 doesn't seem like a great number, does it? Certainly, ours are more unique, but it's not such a problem, especially if you take the European majority into account.
Maybe let's stop pretend we can reach the optimum of balance? I'm sure you've heard of the word „meta". It's impossible to „balance" all cards for all civs, which is what makes the game so tremendous, as the vast majority of cards can be put to use in appropriate circumstances.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Okay, mostly discussed 3 games sc aoe3 and aoe2
sc2 has 3 civs with very much difference, because of low amount it has a balance.
aoe2 has many civs but almost same, so it is balanced anyway. (but it has only limited good civs that are played in 1v1 so even worse than sc2)
aoe3 has medium amount of civs with considerable differences.

About balance in MU's, for example in high plains not every civ is favorable of course but in another map a civ can be strong. So it is true MU's are not balanced, but it doesnt have to be. You can select your civ according to the map, if you care it too much. However i believe with game skill you can beat most people with any civ in any map, i mean look at aizamk's games.
Treasures are barely luck. If they are too important you may consider a civ with two scouts(Damn in Kaiser streams he always steals treasures and kills explorers) It is actually a game skill which can be improved. So i wouldnt say it is unbalanced. About cards, everyone said it. It is basically what makes aoe3 a strategy game, best feature for me.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

To be honest 90% of people trashtalking aoe3 don't have a clue about how it works. Most of the hate for aoe3 is just bias/prejudice. The game has some flaws like the grindiness and possible imbalances but besides those it's just a great game and it should get more credit.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
United States of America WolfgangG
Crossbow

Post by WolfgangG »

gameveideo113 wrote:To be honest 90% of people love these buzz bingo bonus codes and don't have a clue about how it works. Most of the hate for aoe3 is just bias/prejudice. The game has some flaws grindiness and possible imbalances but besides those it's just a great game and it should get more credit.

I think people are just looking for something different instead of the same old game.
New Zealand Withen
Crossbow
ESO: Withen

Post by Withen »

I think three main reasons.

1) Gunpowder. If you look at, for example, a lot of total war commentary, the gunpowder era games are... not as well received. At least, the fan sites I look at.

2) As some people have said, it's just different. If you look at the first two games, they're actually fairly similar. Sure, you have stupidly low pop and no gates in AOEI but you still spend your time carting stuff around to resource buildings. Similarly, you have to build a set number of buildings in each age. I remember when I started playing (11/12) this was a big deal because I forgot to build buildings. To an extent, AOEIII doesn't look after you as well... it's less clear what you should focus on. And how do trading posts work anyway?

3) I'm inclined to agree with the thread that the card system is something that turns people off. In hindsight, AOEIII was probably a bit ahead of its time given how easily you could imagine new cards being used like champions in LoL, but I really like different decks. I mean, I'm not very good (like 44% win rate multiplayer 1v1) but even I check out the other person's deck, even if I mostly just play the same civ the same way (Brits: 3vil, VC, 700w... and then however many cards it takes before I ship improved grenades)... especially if it is a water map (do I just have schooners and gathering cards or do I chuck in some warship stuff?). Yet, you have to level to get to the really cool sounding cards... and then there's the whole most games don't get past Fortress thing: so even if you have a cool card, you don't get to use it.