DVorak/Maltron

United States of America rickytickitembo
Dragoon
ESO: RickyTickiTembo

DVorak/Maltron

Post by rickytickitembo »

Does anyone use Dvorak instead of QWERTY?
Also, Anyone recommend the Matron keyboard? I'm looking at the Kinesis which is over 300 bucks which is too much but I figure I use it everyday and my fingers get sore so afraid of getting carpel tunnel.
My favorite donut is chocolate Aiz.
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Re: DVorak/Maltron

Post by Rikikipu »

3 months ago I bought a Typematrix keyboard with a dvorak layout. The dvorak layout is cool, especially for coding and combined with Typematrix, but I see 3 big problems :

• The dvorak keyboard is a pain for video games, because usually with video games, you use the top left keys (QWE and ASD) as shortcut. The issue is that on the dvorak layout, instead of QWE, you got " . , and those 3 characters can't be used in most video games as shortcuts, the settings don't allow you to do that.
  • The learning curve is huge. It's really fast to learn the dvorak layout, it takes something like a few hours to know where every letters is. However, after 3 months of use, I'm still around two times slower than the normal layout that I used to use (AZERTY layout in France). I'm stuck at 30 Word Per Minute which is rather slow.
  • For english the layout is good, but it doesn't have accent, so it's a bit annoying when you want to write languages which relies a lot on special char.
To sum up, I think the dvorak layout is really nice itself alone, your fingers don't move a lot, it is cool. However, all thoses asides drawbacks are making it too frustrating that at some point I'm probably going to switch back to AZERTY layout. Got to mention that the Typematrix keyboard is pretty nice also.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

The best way to enjoy Dvorak[spoiler=spoiler]
phpBB [video]
[/spoiler]
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
United States of America rickytickitembo
Dragoon
ESO: RickyTickiTembo

Post by rickytickitembo »

I see what you're saying. Although I'm looking for a job atm so have a bit of free time so if I ever do go for it now is the time. And I don't game so much anymore so that shouldn't be an issue. Would also keep my regular qwerty keyboard of course too! Thanks for the feedback though. If I do go through with it I'll let you know how it goes.

Rikikipu wrote:3 months ago I bought a Typematrix keyboard with a dvorak layout. The dvorak layout is cool, especially for coding and combined with Typematrix, but I see 3 big problems :

• The dvorak keyboard is a pain for video games, because usually with video games, you use the top left keys (QWE and ASD) as shortcut. The issue is that on the dvorak layout, instead of QWE, you got " . , and those 3 characters can't be used in most video games as shortcuts, the settings don't allow you to do that.
  • The learning curve is huge. It's really fast to learn the dvorak layout, it takes something like a few hours to know where every letters is. However, after 3 months of use, I'm still around two times slower than the normal layout that I used to use (AZERTY layout in France). I'm stuck at 30 Word Per Minute which is rather slow.
  • For english the layout is good, but it doesn't have accent, so it's a bit annoying when you want to write languages which relies a lot on special char.
To sum up, I think the dvorak layout is really nice itself alone, your fingers don't move a lot, it is cool. However, all thoses asides drawbacks are making it too frustrating that at some point I'm probably going to switch back to AZERTY layout. Got to mention that the Typematrix keyboard is pretty nice also.
My favorite donut is chocolate Aiz.