Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Re: Is Moesbarring cheating?

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

umeu wrote:
momuuu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Decide by vote then? That seems fair to me at least.

So if I make a poll about whether moesbarring should be allowed or not, you will respect the outcome of that decision? Even if it's not the outcome you desire?

The tyranny of the majority is hardly fair btw.

Yes, but as Tocqueville said, it's still the best option.
In addition, by that logic, I should use fast shooting and alt d in all of my games because I shouldn't accept the tyranny of the majority?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

You could argue that, but that's not my logic. I never drew any conclusions or made any assumptions that support what you just said.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
umeu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Extremity is just an opinion.

I totally agree, and our opinion about fast shooting is considered as extreme, which doesn't mean that it is objectively extreme or wong.

Galileo's opinion that the Earth revolves around the sun instead of the other way around was thought of as an extreme opinion.

Yes true, having extreme opinions doesn't mean that it is objectively wrong. I know you're trolling here again, but since the beginning of the argument, garja has been claiming that we're wrong because we're extreme.

Was he therefore wrong? You say A. I say B. Just subjective.

Yes true. Though nobody seriously claims that moesbar is fine, as it would totally change the game, so it's not an issue, while fast shooting is.

Therefore we can't make an unbiased decision, and thus we're back at 3). We either ban all or nothing, which leaves us with the latter.

Sorry. Try again.

Also you actually dodged my point, I don't know if it was on purpose because you wanted to say something true after understanding the lack of logic, or because you didn't get it:

I claimed that, unlike what mankle and you said, pushing something to the extreme and showing that the extreme is absurd doesn't make the nuanced point wrong.

And you answered that extreme opinions aren't always wrong, which is right for sure, but doesn't go against my point.

I don't care about fast shooting. This thread is about Moesbarring. My point about Moesbarring isn't extreme. Unless you mean extremely nuanced. Try to disprove my point wrong instead of making it about something else.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

umeu wrote:You could argue that, but that's not my logic. I never drew any conclusions or made any assumptions that support what you just said.

Well you said "The tyranny of the majority is hardly fair btw.", if I follow that logic I shouldn't follow the general opinion because it's not fair.

While I agree that the tyranny of the majority isn't fair, I think it's still the best indicator we have.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
umeu wrote:You could argue that, but that's not my logic. I never drew any conclusions or made any assumptions that support what you just said.

Well you said "The tyranny of the majority is hardly fair btw.", if I follow that logic I shouldn't follow the general opinion because it's not fair.

While I agree that the tyranny of the majority isn't fair, I think it's still the best indicator we have.

If that's your belief, then you shouldn't go against it.

The tyranny of the majority isn't fair. But you can add things institutions to make it fairer, assuming those institutions don't become corrupted.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

umeu wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Also you actually dodged my point, I don't know if it was on purpose because you wanted to say something true after understanding the lack of logic, or because you didn't get it:

I claimed that, unlike what mankle and you said, pushing something to the extreme and showing that the extreme is absurd doesn't make the nuanced point wrong.

And you answered that extreme opinions aren't always wrong, which is right for sure, but doesn't go against my point.

I don't care about fast shooting. This thread is about Moesbarring. My point about Moesbarring isn't extreme. Unless you mean extremely nuanced. Try to disprove my point wrong instead of making it about something else.

Well you don't care about fast shooting but I really do, and this thread was made to make fun of my arguments about fast shooting, so care a little.

My point about moesbar is that it totally changes the game because it removes all the strategy/micro/macro. Now if some people think moesbar games are funnier, they can play moesbar games and I'm totally fine with it (many players actually like to play scenarios which are like moesbar games).

I see you're trying to make the same point about fast shooting, but it is simply not game changing as it doesn't change the way macro and strat work, and only makes the micro more interesting and harder, so it is not the same situation.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

umeu wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:

The tyranny of the majority isn't fair. But you can add things institutions to make it fairer, assuming those institutions don't become corrupted.

But you need people to lead those institutions, and how do you pick them? Either with a vote, in which case it is the tyranny of the majority, or on questionnable criteria, in which case you can have Tit, kynesie and me leading those institutions and alt-d becomes legit.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
umeu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Well you don't care about fast shooting but I really do, and this thread was made to make fun of my arguments about fast shooting, so care a little.

My point about moesbar is that it totally changes the game because it removes all the strategy/micro/macro. Now if some people think moesbar games are funnier, they can play moesbar games and I'm totally fine with it (many players actually like to play scenarios which are like moesbar games).

I see you're trying to make the same point about fast shooting, but it is simply not game changing as it doesn't change the way macro and strat work, and only makes the micro more interesting and harder, so it is not the same situation.

No, it wasn't. I've never said it was. Don't presume to know my thoughts or intentions.

I've already made clear that Moesbarring improves gameplay, not making it worse. You can say you disagree, but that's just your opinion. And you know where that ends up.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
umeu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

But you need people to lead those institutions, and how do you pick them? Either with a vote, in which case it is the tyranny of the majority, or on questionnable criteria, in which case you can have Tit, kynesie and me leading those institutions and alt-d becomes legit.

Those are not the only two options. And just because you vote people into power to make decisions on your behalf doesn't mean they'll rule exactly as you like. Not necessarily makes it fairer, but it's no longer majority tyranny.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

umeu wrote:
momuuu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Decide by vote then? That seems fair to me at least.

So if I make a poll about whether moesbarring should be allowed or not, you will respect the outcome of that decision? Even if it's not the outcome you desire?

Surely if the majority thinks we should allow moesbar in tournaments then I'll probably accept that. Granted obviously that would never be the case. I've also always silently accepted alt-d because the majority of people probably dislikes it. My point of bringing that up was that some people don't actually realize why they don't like it. It's important to actually think about these things and that's the entire point that diarouga and I have been making. Please truly think if you dislike or like the crackshot bug. Play around with it, test it, have a discussion about the potential pitfalls of it or things that make it abusable, state honestly that you might not like it because you feel like you'd be bad at it, etc. Ideally we should have an honest discussion, and people should consider arguments instead of saying "LOL BUGABUSE IS ALWAYS CHEATING" when that's just not true. And then we should probably vote.

The tyranny of the majority is an acceptable solution to something that's otherwise hard to solve btw.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

In the days of CS 1.5 and 1.6 there was a lot of talk about the interpolation setting you could make in your .config file.
Iirc the default setting was 0.02, changing it to 0.05 would make your opponents "face pixels" to actually be where your screen showed they were.

There were a few other tweaks that could be done to the .config file, giving you an advantage compared to players not using a modified .config

Heavy debates on forums and IRC about this but the general agreement was that as long as you didn't use an external program, it was not considered cheating.

Maybe this can also be the case for AoE3?
[Sith] - Baphomet
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

umeu wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Show hidden quotes

No, it wasn't. I've never said it was. Don't presume to know my thoughts or intentions.

I've already made clear that Moesbarring improves gameplay, not making it worse. You can say you disagree, but that's just your opinion. And you know where that ends up.

Yes, you indeed have the right to claim moesbarring improves the gameplay, and it's a totally fine opinion.
However, if you read the eso rules, it is explicitly written that you can not modify your game files, while there's nothing about bugs.

Thus, you can't use moesbar on eso (or you don't follow the rules of the game which is by definition cheating), and if it was actually possible to use it without breaking the eso rules, then we would have to create a patch or a sub-game where moesbar is forbidden.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

momuuu wrote:
umeu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Surely if the majority thinks we should allow moesbar in tournaments then I'll probably accept that. Granted obviously that would never be the case. I've also always silently accepted alt-d because the majority of people probably dislikes it. My point of bringing that up was that some people don't actually realize why they don't like it. It's important to actually think about these things and that's the entire point that diarouga and I have been making. Please truly think if you dislike or like the crackshot bug. Play around with it, test it, have a discussion about the potential pitfalls of it or things that make it abusable, state honestly that you might not like it because you feel like you'd be bad at it, etc. Ideally we should have an honest discussion, and people should consider arguments instead of saying "LOL BUGABUSE IS ALWAYS CHEATING" when that's just not true. And then we should probably vote.

It's not about alt-d or fast shot. I've stated this multiple times. Stop changing the discussion. You reject Moesbarring without ever having tried it. I think that's dishonest debating then.

The tyranny of the majority is an acceptable solution to something that's otherwise hard to solve btw.

You'd say that if you're on the right side of that tyranny.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

umeu wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Those are not the only two options. And just because you vote people into power to make decisions on your behalf doesn't mean they'll rule exactly as you like. Not necessarily makes it fairer, but it's no longer majority tyranny.

Then tell me what the other options are, I'm interested. Pick them based on their results?
Also in the case these guys are elected it's the tyranny of 10 popular guys, which is probably worse than the tyranny of the majority.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
umeu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Then tell me what the other options are, I'm interested. Pick them based on their results?
Also in the case these guys are elected it's the tyranny of 10 popular guys, which is probably worse than the tyranny of the majority.

Apart from more elaborate and complicated systems or mixes of systems there is also Lottery (pick based on luck) and Merit (pick based on qualifications).

Perhaps, if those 10 guys had infinite power. But not if they're checked and balanced by other people.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

umeu wrote:
momuuu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

It's not about alt-d or fast shot. I've stated this multiple times. Stop changing the discussion. You reject Moesbarring without ever having tried it. I think that's dishonest debating then.

Moesbar is forbidden by the game rules, so you can't do it. Likewise, if I play in an eso tourney, even if I might complain about not being allowed to use fast shooting, I won't do it because it's their rules.

Here we're against the tyranny of the majority. If we made a post about alt-d, 80% of the community would probably be against it. I'm not actually that much in favour of alt-d, I wouldn't mind it, but I understand why people are totally against it. I think however that we should have a discussion about fast shooting, and in my opinion we haven't really had this discussion. Garja just went full garja and came with 0 arguments, hazza just trolled, and _H2O even though I know he's capable of thinking, just didn't think arguing about it was worth his time.
Honestly, although you're trolling, you're the only guy who's actually discussing the issue and arguing against us. The others just ignore the issue and act as if banning it is the obvious choice.

Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

"Here we're against the tyranny of the majority."

Oh how awful!
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

umeu wrote:
momuuu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Well, I like build orders and micro and I feel like moesbar would reduce everything that aoe3 currently is and create a game where these aspects as much less prevalent. I would not like that, so I know what Ill vote.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Discussion about fast shooting already happened on staff discord back when it was discovered.
And I think you also missed the thread where the chinese guy used it with a macro in a recced game.
Image Image Image
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

umeu wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Apart from more elaborate and complicated systems or mixes of systems there is also Lottery (pick based on luck) and Merit (pick based on qualifications).

Lottery would the worst out of all in my opinion, because some crazy guys could come to the power and do shit. Merit is interesting, and I really like this idea, it might statistically be better than democracy. The big issue it has though, is that, first it's hard to decide who's the guy who's the most qualified, because there's no way someone can be the best everywhere, he'll be at best, be the best at something, and that's it. Thus, how do you decide on what we should select these guys? Also, it might be the tyranny of the elit, which isn't better than the tyranny of the majority.

Perhaps, if those 10 guys had infinite power. But not if they're checked and balanced by other people.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Garja wrote:Discussion about fast shooting already happened on staff discord back when it was discovered.
And I think you also missed the thread where the chinese guy used it with a macro in a recced game.

The staff actually has mostly very stubborn guys. People that would even refuse the discuss building rotator at all. You, h2o and mitoe would just overrule everyone without many arguments...
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

This is your opinion, and an incorrect one.
Image Image Image
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Garja wrote:Discussion about fast shooting already happened on staff discord back when it was discovered.

It's good to know it has been discussed.
Still, I can see that there is a consensus against it in the staff (and it's not surprising because the staff members were picked because they have the same view on how the game and the community should work as the first staff members), and I wouldn't be surprised if nobody tried to defend this mechanic.
Thus, it makes the decision unfair, because no opposition was allowed. If you've watched 12 angry men, you should know that sometimes people are so stubborn and think they're right, that they don't consider the other options at all, and that they would change their mind about it if someone argumentated against them.

It's a bit utopist here because some guys in the staff (like you) can't change their mind, and it wouldn't change shit. Still, if there was no real discussion, the conclusion of the staff is irrelevant.

Finally, if there was a discussion (which I doubt there was), and you don't want the community to use it on eso, I think we're entitled to have a summary of that discussion, with the pros and the cons, and why this decision was made.

You can do what you want on ESOC because it belongs to you, but if you want to change the whole ESO community, you have to justify your decisions.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

building rotator is something that should be ok to use.can someone explain me why is it forbidden ?
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

momuuu wrote:
umeu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Well, I like build orders and micro and I feel like moesbar would reduce everything that aoe3 currently is and create a game where these aspects as much less prevalent. I would not like that, so I know what Ill vote.

If you're mind is made up, and you won't even try to experiment outside your comfort zone, then there's no point to continue this discussion.