No (only with a lot of buffering)
36%

Total votes: 47

Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Stream quality

Post by aligator92 »

I am aware that it is not up to us whether we have twitch quality options or not but since we do not have them at the moment, why do we keep streaming on high quality instead of choosing a lower one so that everyone can actually watch?
For people arguing that our stream is supposed to look as well as possible, H2O even had his game on low quality making the HD stream utterly pointless and extremely annoying for people with slow internet.
I am creasting this poll to show how many viewers we are losing here.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Re: Stream quality

Post by edeholland »

Good poll, but I would like an extra option for 720p to see if switching to 720p would actually help.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Good thread.

So far, looks like the slow-interneters are only a vocal minority.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Screw the low internet speed plebs
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

720 could be okay perhaps, but I feel like most of the people who can't watch 1080 cant watch 720 either, and 480 shouldnt even be an option.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

We would like to get quality options back and we should be able to.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

Yeah really need at least 720, 1080 is too much for mobile data
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

I think bits make a difference rather than the resolution itself, try streaming at lower bitrate rather than resolution
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Lol are u sirious ?
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

gibson wrote:720 could be okay perhaps, but I feel like most of the people who can't watch 1080 cant watch 720 either, and 480 shouldnt even be an option.

720 makes a big difference - at least for me.
I voted "No" in the poll even though it's a hit and miss for me. Last night was good with minimal buffering.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

Kinly do get the 720 quality opion back, my shitty Bing prowser barely handles the 1080p (Chrome I f*kt up)
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

princeofcarthage wrote:I think bits make a difference rather than the resolution itself, try streaming at lower bitrate rather than resolution

With low bitrate its better to lower the resolution for some reason. They are basically equivalent.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Bitrate is probably more important than resolution. You can stream in 1080p, but if you have a low bitrate it’s gonna look like shit. The resolution is essentially the ceiling for how good a stream can look, but the bitrate is what actually determines how good it looks.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

540p ftw
Germany aligator92
Howdah

Post by aligator92 »

So after roughly 48 hours we have a third of the voters with difficulties watching 1080p streams. I agree that this result might be skewed due to the 'No'-voters having a bigger incentive to vote but you cannot deny that it is a sizable number of people.
So can we make sure the finals are being streamed at 720p or at lowerd bitrate or both (not an expert on this topic)?
@H2O_ @Cometk @edeholland
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

A solution would be having two separate streams with the only difference being quality, although it would take a decent pc which seems unlikely based on esoc casters
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

I hope we will be able to bring back settings option, users with low bandwidth should never be forgotten.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Yeah, if we aren't going to have quality options, I think 720p is a fine compromise to get 1/3 of our viewers back. When I commented initially the vote was around 10-2.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

Since 6 hours we are Twitch affiliate :) I'm pretty sure we will have quality options back, I kinda wanna try it now...
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Affiliate doesn’t give quality options
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

Not necessarily no, but it does prioritize you over non-affiliates which is great.

If we don't have it I suggest we stream in 720p.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Yea but anyone who can average 3 viewers can be an affiliate, so it’s not exactly hard to do
Germany aligator92
Howdah

Post by aligator92 »

Given that the semi finals are tomorrow I would like to remind casters of this issue and ask them to stream at reasonably low settings, it seems to me that resolution is not the only thing that matters as last week end I was able to watch edeholland at 1080p while Lecastete's stream was buffering at 720p. Maybe someone with more tech knowledge could explain this to me and the casters. @musketeer925 @EAGLEMUT
It would be greatly appreciated if the @Media Team can organise a stream that the entire community can follow
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

aligator92 wrote:Given that the semi finals are tomorrow I would like to remind casters of this issue and ask them to stream at reasonably low settings, it seems to me that resolution is not the only thing that matters as last week end I was able to watch edeholland at 1080p while Lecastete's stream was buffering at 720p. Maybe someone with more tech knowledge could explain this to me and the casters. @musketeer925 @EAGLEMUT
It would be greatly appreciated if the @Media Team can organise a stream that the entire community can follow

Yeah, I can explain you the issue that happen last time when Lecastete was streaming. When he first screenshared first with Hazza, his computer wasn't able to handle it. They didn't have time to test it. Hazza was a quick backup for another caster. We try our best to find streamers for this event! They of course stream on the highest quality settings. I want to point out here that Twitch has a feature for the quality options. The larger the twitch channel becomes the more flexible we would be. Sadly, when one doesn’t have such a great internet connection or watches from phone, they end up not watching it at all and look it up later either on twitch or on youtube.

How could WE have quality options? When we would have over 500 live viewers on a special amount of time per week. For this we might need to stream more. But sadly, the given manpower makes it almost impossible to stream 3-5 days per week and for a couple hours. I hope everyone can understand this and maybe on some point we can reach 500 viewers. Who knows? :smile:
shit juice :hmm:
Germany aligator92
Howdah

Post by aligator92 »

Well if I can't watch it because of quality I won't watch it ever because the replay will buffer just as much as the live stream (i feel like it's even worse actually) and the youtube videos are always weeks behind, at that point I have long found out about the result.
Can't we at least agree on 720 max? It's not like this game looks any better in HD (especially when casters have low graphics on to reduce lag)