What happens if you watch an online recorded boom?

Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Re: What happens if you watch an online recorded boom?

Post by edeholland »

Who has bad internet and wants to try this with me?

Inb4 100 people tagging each other
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I don't get this thread.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

deleted_user wrote:I don't get this thread.

The same boom gives more resources offline than online (due to lag).

So if you watch a recording of an online game, would you have the same amount of resources in the recording as the online game, or more?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

No, I get it, but, like, why?
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

Doesn't seem like anybody even has a clue how a recording really works. It's pretty interesting.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

OK, now I get it. Thanks!
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

edeholland wrote:Who has bad internet and wants to try this with me?

Hey we can do this, I will open Hazza's stream 100 times; hopefully some of the lag will even leak through twitch from him and we will have a better test. I'll be on in 20 minutes
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

ovi12 wrote:

Hey we can do this, I will open Hazza's stream 100 times; hopefully some of the lag will even leak through twitch from him and we will have a better test. I'll be on in 20 minutes

We could also take any random recording from the treaty tournament, right?
Austria supahons
Dragoon
ESO: supahons

Post by supahons »

idk what you want to achieve :D

ask @EAGLEMUT
https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe3/comments/78qv97/where_do_recorded_games_save/
recorded game files essentially just contain the list of commands issued during a given match. Playing a recorded game boils down to executing these commands in sequence again, on the actual game engine - so it's actually "playing the game", except you have no control over the units.
No other program will be able to read and execute these commands. To do that, such program would have to simulate the entire behavior of the AoE3 game engine with 100% precision.

if you make a fotograph, the picture won't change. until you edit it/ it decays. it's same with the recording, why should there be more resources?. this sounds like a bad mystery case/ ghost story to me, i don't get it.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

edeholland wrote:
ovi12 wrote:

We could also take any random recording from the treaty tournament, right?

Yeah
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

supahons wrote:idk what you want to achieve :D

ask @EAGLEMUT
recorded game files essentially just contain the list of commands issued during a given match. Playing a recorded game boils down to executing these commands in sequence again, on the actual game engine - so it's actually "playing the game", except you have no control over the units.
No other program will be able to read and execute these commands. To do that, such program would have to simulate the entire behavior of the AoE3 game engine with 100% precision.

if you make a fotograph, the picture won't change. until you edit it/ it decays. it's same with the recording, why should there be more resources?. this sounds like a bad mystery case/ ghost story to me, i don't get it.

Well again, you seem to not believe that all the treaty players say they consistently get much higher scores with the same boom online vs offline (at the exact same game time). I don't know the technical side, I just know what I said.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

supahons wrote:idk what you want to achieve :D

ask @EAGLEMUT

Because if you issue the exact same commands in an offline vs an online game, you get more resources.

It's not at all a fotograph. It's instructions on how to make a photo.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

@Jaeger Going to watch the finals of the 2015 Treaty Cup now. Wish me luck.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

The recording has a very very tiny bit more resources, but that may very well be because of human reaction time. Since I can't play a recording backwards, it's hard to know what the exact moment is I clicked.

In both scenario's, I tried to pause the game the moment the "Treaty has ended" message appeared.

Maybe we should try a 4 hour boom to know for sure.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Looks like that question is settled.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

musketeer925 wrote:Yeah I definitely don't think it records player clicks. "Actions" (being "musketeer w/ ID=100 told to move to 0x=100,y=100) would be much simpler.

It does show when a unit is selected, even if you do nothing with it, afaik. That doesn't mean it records all clicks, but all "relevant" clicks (or keys) for sure.
Anyway, from my experience of watching recs, I'd say it does record what happened in game (and not what "should" happen, if there was no lag). I clearly remember seeing recs showing lag (units getting stuck/idle for example). So I really don't think you would get extra hidden resources like that when watching the rec of an offline boom.
EDIT: yeah just look at the scores, it's the exact same in rec and stream. No way there's a real difference in the rec.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Kaiserklein wrote:That doesn't mean it records all clicks, but all "relevant" clicks (or keys) for sure.

I would describe that as recording "selections". What I am saying about clicks is that it's not recording "player 1 clicked pixel 100, 200 on his screen at 11:00.142", that would be a ridiculous way to save recorded game data.
Austria supahons
Dragoon

Post by supahons »

@edeholland:((edit: you have already looked into this now)) yes the picture was an oversimplification, but your question was:
So if you watch a recording of an online game, would you have the same amount of resources in the recording as the online game, or more?
--> how can you have more resources when you watch a recording? (how should the data change suddenly - you would have different statistics too in the end ;))

kaiserkleins explaination was similar to mine (lag), i tried to add a bit theory for a better understanding/ or sothat you can refute my explaination --> sothat i can learn too.
"The bad network latency causes the score difference." and "Everybody has a different pc configuration, internet provider, timezone, distance between the servers". that was my explaination for the difference.
Ovis answer: Well again, you seem to not believe that all the treaty players say they consistently get much higher scores with the same boom online vs offline -> ok whatever, case closed (edit: sry this was a bit rude)
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

musketeer925 wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:That doesn't mean it records all clicks, but all "relevant" clicks (or keys) for sure.

I would describe that as recording "selections". What I am saying about clicks is that it's not recording "player 1 clicked pixel 100, 200 on his screen at 11:00.142", that would be a ridiculous way to save recorded game data.

Well, selections and actions. But yeah I agree that it's useless to record this kind of "irrelevant" clicks/keys.
But it doesn't just record the player input I think. It apparently also records its consequence (for example, unit behaviour). So if a unit takes a retarded pathing or gets stuck without any apparent reason, it will still be shown on the rec.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

This would raise a good question about what is happening in the game engine to cause lag to reduce gathering. It seems to be capturae through the games commands.

If we ever fully understand recording files we could compare online and lan booms and see why.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

Actually I bet there are line items for each tick as resources come in. So while the lag may reduce the speed of those data points it’s not the lag itself being captured?
Austria supahons
Dragoon

Post by supahons »

there is a reason for the strange format of the recordings and scenarios (age3Yrec,age3Yscn) --> copyright
if the developers would have wanted to make this knowledge public, then they would have chosen a different format, but they didn't. for instance in the scenario-editor you can only add triggers to your trigtemp file, that's all as far as ik.
the game recording is like a cassette (with more than only audio data) - you sing/play and then you can listen/watch it again. (timedelay, lag included)

legal solution: play lan-treaty games
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

supahons wrote:
ovi12 wrote:There is for sure a difference between the resources at the same game time online and offline, mamy players have reported for example 2600 score at 40 minutes in game online and 3000 at 40 minutes in game offline.

everybody has a different pc configuration, internet provider, timezone, distance between the servers. what do you expect?

maybe make 2 lists: offline and online max. scores
it's possible to achieve x -points on ...map with ...civ

hint: game experience may change during online play ---> read this before you log in next time :D

i know there is a bug, when u send dogsoldiers while having a different clock configuration than someone else, sometimes it means that you get a different number of dogsoldiers, aka 1 clock says 5 the other says 6. and u get oos.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

supahons wrote:there is a reason for the strange format of the recordings and scenarios (age3Yrec,age3Yscn) --> copyright
if the developers would have wanted to make this knowledge public, then they would have chosen a different format, but they didn't. for instance in the scenario-editor you can only add triggers to your trigtemp file, that's all as far as ik.
the game recording is like a cassette (with more than only audio data) - you sing/play and then you can listen/watch it again. (timedelay, lag included)

legal solution: play lan-treaty games

I'm just curious, from the technical side what is actually preventing someone from seeing how the recorded gameswork?