What happens if you watch an online recorded boom?

India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Re: What happens if you watch an online recorded boom?

Post by Ashvin »

ovi12 wrote:
supahons wrote:there is a reason for the strange format of the recordings and scenarios (age3Yrec,age3Yscn) --> copyright
if the developers would have wanted to make this knowledge public, then they would have chosen a different format, but they didn't. for instance in the scenario-editor you can only add triggers to your trigtemp file, that's all as far as ik.
the game recording is like a cassette (with more than only audio data) - you sing/play and then you can listen/watch it again. (timedelay, lag included)

legal solution: play lan-treaty games

I'm just curious, from the technical side what is actually preventing someone from seeing how the recorded gameswork?

File is very big. It contains some words which are not represented by normal alphabets we read (it looks like empty boxes). And these boxes makes it hard to extract every detail. However our devs have learnt to extract most out of it and still learning to do more. I could upload the decompressed rec file with txt format, but it is very big (>14 MB).
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Ashvin wrote:
ovi12 wrote:
supahons wrote:there is a reason for the strange format of the recordings and scenarios (age3Yrec,age3Yscn) --> copyright
if the developers would have wanted to make this knowledge public, then they would have chosen a different format, but they didn't. for instance in the scenario-editor you can only add triggers to your trigtemp file, that's all as far as ik.
the game recording is like a cassette (with more than only audio data) - you sing/play and then you can listen/watch it again. (timedelay, lag included)

legal solution: play lan-treaty games

I'm just curious, from the technical side what is actually preventing someone from seeing how the recorded gameswork?

File is very big. It contains some words which are not represented by normal alphabets we read (it looks like empty boxes). And these boxes makes it hard to extract every detail. However our devs have learnt to extract most out of it and still learning to do more. I could upload the decompressed rec file with txt format, but it is very big (>14 MB).

Ah so it is a lot of code that you can read, but scattered in the code are these boxes? And AOE executes the code represented by these boxes, but it's difficult to understand exactly what instructions these boxes encode?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

In simple words, yes.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

More like one simple word.
Pay more attention to detail.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

Gendarme wrote:More like one simple word.

I meant, he explained in simple words and I agree to him
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

musketeer925 wrote:Yeah I definitely don't think it records player clicks. "Actions" (being "musketeer w/ ID=100 told to move to 0x=100,y=100) would be much simpler.

This got me curious now... How would you explain camera positions? Are those considered actions as well?

Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

Also, is there a known reason as to why units derp around so much in lag? Specially when you A-move and they just seem like they’re drunk.

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Essentially the reason is the game is old and isn't coded in the best way it could be
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

macacoalbino wrote:
musketeer925 wrote:Yeah I definitely don't think it records player clicks. "Actions" (being "musketeer w/ ID=100 told to move to 0x=100,y=100) would be much simpler.

This got me curious now... How would you explain camera positions? Are those considered actions as well?

Could be actions, could be a totally separate stream of data elsewhere in the file.

We really know very little about the file format or what data it contains. Our rec parsing tools for the site only get some header information for basic game info.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

Is it possible that aoe3 engine was used in another rts that could hint us how the rec works?

United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

AoE:O and AoM use the versions of the same engine. Other than that, not really. It uses Havok components for its physics and destruction, but that isn't likely to have any influence on the rec format.