OFFICIAL Risk Tournament Sign Ups HERE!

United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Re: OFFICIAL Risk Tournament Sign Ups HERE!

Post by Papist »

I'm in.

The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Australia Saturn
Crossbow
ESO: SaturnsForce

Post by Saturn »

I'll give it a go ESO: SaturnsForce
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

I don't know how but this tournament has already brought 3 new members on this forum. All friends of yours?
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Me too same name eso
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

I would like to play but don't have a lot of time in august. I would need to know when I have to be available first.
France Aykin Haraka
Howdah
EWT
ESO: aykin

Post by Aykin Haraka »

eso tit
American Samoa Nameless103fenjf
Crossbow
ESO: nameless103fenjf

Post by Nameless103fenjf »

nameless103fenjf
American Samoa Nameless103fenjf
Crossbow
ESO: nameless103fenjf

Post by Nameless103fenjf »

Ashvin wrote:I never played risk, can you tell me what happens in it?

You build trade posts in your respective country , those trade posts spawn units every so often
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

Nameless103fenjf wrote:

You build trade posts in your respective country , those trade posts spawn units every so often

Do you have to start building in a specific country?
Great Britain No_Sean15
Crossbow
ESO: No_Sean15

Post by No_Sean15 »

Lets see what you scrubs are made of then, ESO: No_Sean15
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

edeholland wrote:
Nameless103fenjf wrote:

You don't technically have to. Everyone starts on an island with an explorer and a flat-bottom boat (the no-attack raft thing from the TWC campaign), and can sail where they want. However, it is to your benefit to go to the correct country because they spawn civ-specific units.
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

@Cocaine When you're crafting the rules for this event, make sure to think about things like what we will do if there's unplayable lag, games crash, etc.
Great Britain No_Sean15
Crossbow
ESO: No_Sean15

Post by No_Sean15 »

I would like to note some criticisms of the map – I played through alone building on every trade post to get a feel for the map – and personally I think it’s a little biased towards a French civ. (Note; I am aware in more traditional RISK games such as Vic Risk, France is relatively under-powered and usually the first to be defeated - but this seems to take it too far in the other direction).

Firstly, Spain is left weak by the presence of two consulate troop spawns (Guerreiros and Garrochista) This is very much in favour of a French rush against Spain especially where no other nation has consulate troops present. They also have a Skull night (x6) and Imperial Horse gun spawn (x1) – the Skull Knights, un-upgraded are totally useless fodder against imperial troops.

The Americas, are extremely, extremely French favoured also with two Gendarme posts, Musk, Skirm and Halbs. France was not the only European nation present in America at this time, if you are attempting to make this accurate the northern part needs their Halb post removed and replaced with something more British orientated.

I recommend changing at least one of these to Hussar, given I could only find two hussar posts on the entire map, this seems odd given that all but two playable civs can use Hussar, and only one can use Gendarmes. (I could be mis-remembering but I think Otto only had Spahi?)

In Germany, the Uhlans spawn relatively distant to their respective tradepost?

Britain also seems to be underpowered with only having 3 troops and 1 artillery post compared to ALL other nations having 4 troops and 1 artillery post (perhaps add dragoons?).

Other than that – great map.

EDIT: I would also contest your statement about the French Navy; France has historically never had a good navy; the Portuguese, and Spanish had the largest merchant fleets with Britain and the Dutch having probably having the largest Armada's. Imo France should NOT get a Frigate spawn but a Galleon or Caravel.

It is also important to note how it is also ONLY France (Aside from the spawn in Africa and the one in the fort in Central-Eastern Europe), that gets Culverins, automatically giving it an advantage over all other artillery and ships (situational).

I was also confused as to why the Ottomans also had a Bombard + Organ Gun spawn, given that the organ gun is a Portuguese unit?

(EDIT 2: I also understand your reasoning for including the Ironclad unit, it makes it a very sought after, contested post likely to cause battles to be raged over it; however Risk has long been against including Monitor/Howitzer units for the very purpose is that it unbalances the game - the first person to get an ironclad immediately has the ability to harass every coastal-tradepost within its attack range, whilst that players explorer could be half way across the world they have lost a post to something they could do nothing about - but this is a just personal criticism.)
Canada Cocaine
Lancer
ESO: Cow God

Post by Cocaine »

edeholland wrote:
Nameless103fenjf wrote:

Please read by "HOW TO PLAY" on the main page :)
A little Cocaine never hurt nobody!

Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

Papist wrote:@Cocaine When you're crafting the rules for this event, make sure to think about things like what we will do if there's unplayable lag, games crash, etc.

Ill add some "WHAT IFS" to the HOW TO PLAY section now ;)

Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

No_Sean15 wrote:I would like to note some criticisms of the map – I played through alone building on every trade post to get a feel for the map – and personally I think it’s a little biased towards a French civ. (Note; I am aware in more traditional RISK games such as Vic Risk, France is relatively under-powered and usually the first to be defeated - but this seems to take it too far in the other direction).

Firstly, Spain is left weak by the presence of two consulate troop spawns (Guerreiros and Garrochista) This is very much in favour of a French rush against Spain especially where no other nation has consulate troops present. They also have a Skull night (x6) and Imperial Horse gun spawn (x1) – the Skull Knights, un-upgraded are totally useless fodder against imperial troops.

The Americas, are extremely, extremely French favoured also with two Gendarme posts, Musk, Skirm and Halbs. France was not the only European nation present in America at this time, if you are attempting to make this accurate the northern part needs their Halb post removed and replaced with something more British orientated.

I recommend changing at least one of these to Hussar, given I could only find two hussar posts on the entire map, this seems odd given that all but two playable civs can use Hussar, and only one can use Gendarmes. (I could be mis-remembering but I think Otto only had Spahi?)

Britain also seems to be underpowered with only having 3 troops and 1 artillery post compared to ALL other nations having 4 troops and 1 artillery post (perhaps add dragoons?).

EDIT: I would also contest your statement about the French Navy; France has historically never had a good navy; the Portuguese, and Spanish had the largest merchant fleets with Britain and the Dutch having probably having the largest Armada's. Imo France should NOT get a Frigate spawn but a Galleon or Caravel.

It is also important to note how it is also ONLY France (Aside from the spawn in Africa and the one in the fort in Central-Eastern Europe), that gets Culverins, automatically giving it an advantage over all other artillery and ships (situational).

I was also confused as to why the Ottomans also had a Bombard + Organ Gun spawn, given that the organ gun is a Portuguese unit?

(EDIT 2: I also understand your reasoning for including the Ironclad unit, it makes it a very sought after, contested post likely to cause battles to be raged over it; however Risk has long been against including Monitor/Howitzer units for the very purpose is that it unbalances the game - the first person to get an ironclad immediately has the ability to harass every coastal-tradepost within its attack range, whilst that players explorer could be half way across the world they have lost a post to something they could do nothing about - but this is a just personal criticism.)

I will make some unit changes in those regions, thank you for pointing this out :)

Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

No_Sean15 wrote:I would like to note some criticisms of the map – I played through alone building on every trade post to get a feel for the map – and personally I think it’s a little biased towards a French civ. (Note; I am aware in more traditional RISK games such as Vic Risk, France is relatively under-powered and usually the first to be defeated - but this seems to take it too far in the other direction).

To address some issues again, yes I will edit some unit posts. I will edit the French boat post. the culverin post I leave. I specifically spread out the 3 culverin posts to balance anti artillery and anti ship advantige. England only has 3 unit posts plus rockets but they have outpost wagon spawn and frigates which makes defending england easier AND killing boats way easier. For example a frigate can kill a caravel in as little as one broad side attack and then a few extra shots without even being scratched below 80% health. I will also adjust germany uhal spawn location :) As for spain, I will look into it. And organ gun in turkey because yolo LOL, its to offset africas power. I had to give turkey some extra fighting power.

Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

edeholland wrote:I don't know how but this tournament has already brought 3 new members on this forum. All friends of yours?

They are excited to join the tourney what can I say lol

Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

edeholland wrote:I would like to play but don't have a lot of time in august. I would need to know when I have to be available first.

Once signs ups are over in like a week, we will find a common time zone. We will try matching players based on their availability :)

Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

Tonights recorded game. I lost. But was insane.
Attachments
[RE SCN] Moltke[FR] vs nameless103fenjf[FR] vs SaturnsForce[BR] vs Tara_Moon3000[RU] vs DarkLordSpanky[BR] vs KingDowa[OT] vs Sparski[RU] vs ndhillwork[BR] - RiskEurope2018 v161LIM15.age3yrec
(2.35 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
RiskEurope2018 v161LIM15
RiskEurope2018 v161LIM15

France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

This sounds like fun but tbh I am pretty sure this will be horrible to schedule a 8 players games with a majority of people that don't spend a lot of time on ESOC...
GL though, I hope for you it will work
Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

bwinner1 wrote:This sounds like fun but tbh I am pretty sure this will be horrible to schedule a 8 players games with a majority of people that don't spend a lot of time on ESOC...
GL though, I hope for you it will work

We will cross that bridge when we get to it lol but yes I agree it might be challenging

Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

I'd like to sign up, but I am away for 3 of the next 5 weeks so I'd need to know which week it will be in.
Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

chris1089 wrote:I'd like to sign up, but I am away for 3 of the next 5 weeks so I'd need to know which week it will be in.

Hmm well. Once sign ups are over around first week of august, we will try playing the first set of games the first or second week of august depends on everyones availability.

Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

As for nerfing france, its not gona happen lol. I played North America twice now at the start and twice I lost, in the recordings. ME! The risk machine lost.. The issue here is that sure North America has 10 posts and some imperil french units BUT, getting those units gathered and shipped to europe for example to fight, or africa, or anywhere else is a strategic nightmare. Not only that but gettin invaded from south, spain, france, britain and even iceland.. North america is weak if you're being attacked since the posts are so spread out. It is honestly not that great of a start, as you can tell by my struggles the past 2 recordings I posted here. As for the Ship spawn in france I will nerf that :) I will edit cuba, take away cur and add hussar. and Edit spain to have some stronger unit. But thats really it for balance changes as far as I could tell.