[Unofficial] [Civ rules] Poll about Autumn 2018

What civilization rules do you want in Autumn 2018?

Same as previous. (Civ reset)
47%
New ones. (No civ reset during entire series)
29%
Mixed. (No civ reset for first half, civ reset as matches increases)
16%
Other. (Explain in comments)
8%

Total votes: 49

Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Re: [Unofficial] [Civ rules] Poll about Autumn 2018

Post by edeholland »

ChewSick wrote:
momuuu wrote:I wouldnt even consider signing up if people could ban my favorite civs tbh.

I'm talking about banning 1 civ, not 5 :chinese:

maybe im biased in this but i've played League of Legends for over 4 years where 10 champs out of the 130 available are getting banned before every game and it works very well.

I don't see the gain of banning civs really? Both players take out the enemies best civ, making the overall series less exciting and on a lower level?
You also don't let people prepare against a civ, instead you just let them ban it.

momuuu wrote:I wouldnt even consider signing up if people could ban my favorite civs tbh.

I wouldn't consider watching you if you couldn't play Dutch, lol
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

I like the traditional rules.

The only option that I find even better is the civ rules of the bo27, where you can play every game with any civ, as long as you havent won any games in the serie with with that civ. So in a bo3 you must win with 2 diferent civs, 3 civs in a bo5, etc...

(cant go the usual main civ win, random civ lose, main civ again win)
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

edeholland wrote:

That doesnt really make much sense, does it? If you were to look at the facts at least.

The thing is mostly that it feels unfair and unfun if the civ you like playing the most gets banned.
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

momuuu wrote:
edeholland wrote:

That doesnt really make much sense, does it? If you were to look at the facts at least.

The thing is mostly that it feels unfair and unfun if the civ you like playing the most gets banned.

It basicly handicap player that are very specialized in one civ like you. I wouldn't mind getting one of my civ vetoed at all while I would veto india all the time and it would be funnier for me.

Though edeholland is right when he says it lowers the global level.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

It's a gimmick rule for how RTS games traditionally work.
Image Image Image
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

I don't know if that would work, but a crazy idea would be to sign up with at least 2-3 civs. Rather than banning a certain civ, which would draw the fun and skill out of many, or doing a mono-civ tourney, which is better for a special event rather than a main, you could force the player to play at least these 2-3 civs they know really well.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Switzerland ChewSick
Dragoon
ESO: chusik

Post by ChewSick »

BrookG wrote:I don't know if that would work, but a crazy idea would be to sign up with at least 2-3 civs. Rather than banning a certain civ, which would draw the fun and skill out of many, or doing a mono-civ tourney, which is better for a special event rather than a main, you could force the player to play at least these 2-3 civs they know really well.

yeah but that's exactly what the current rules are made for, so you cannot play only 2-3 civs
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

ChewSick wrote:
BrookG wrote:I don't know if that would work, but a crazy idea would be to sign up with at least 2-3 civs. Rather than banning a certain civ, which would draw the fun and skill out of many, or doing a mono-civ tourney, which is better for a special event rather than a main, you could force the player to play at least these 2-3 civs they know really well.

yeah but that's exactly what the current rules are made for, so you cannot play only 2-3 civs

You dont get my point exactly. I am not saying to exclude the other civs, rather than force the players to play the civs they are good with. This suggestion could take effect in rounds with many games (BO7/BO9). For instance, in a BO3/BO5 it's kinda useless. Trying to elevate the discussion with a fancy idea.

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

This is what I suggested. A hearthstone like conquest format. It gives a good mix between civ/match up variety and knowing civs in depth.
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

momuuu wrote:

This is what I suggested. A hearthstone like conquest format. It gives a good mix between civ/match up variety and knowing civs in depth.

I made it easier to prepare some MU, I like it.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Isn't conquest like you have to play all the civs you sign up with?
2-3 civs is fine but it should up to the player to use them at discretion.
Image Image Image
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

I m not familiar with hearthstone conquest mode. A couple of civs free to use at will indeed, and then after the player won with one it's blocked. To be fair, it's not a secret what civs people are good with, why not take that to its extreme?

Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

You bring say 5 civs, you have to win a game with each of these to win a series
Basically you make it a pocket BO27 sorta game.
I actually like the idea. But i think in HS there is a veto to a hero in each series, thats why i bring the point

Switzerland ChewSick
Dragoon
ESO: chusik

Post by ChewSick »

macacoalbino wrote:You bring say 5 civs, you have to win a game with each of these to win a series
Basically you make it a pocket BO27 sorta game.
I actually like the idea. But i think in HS there is a veto to a hero in each series, thats why i bring the point

i really don't understand this system. if you have to win a game with your set 5 civs, you will only play those 5 civs and make the games much less diversed. or what am i missing?
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

Yeah it diminishes players available civs but I think it is interesting in the sense that players have yet another strategical choice to make: bringing 5 civs to beat them all, not to mention the ordering you choose these civs in order to be left with a strong one in the end.
Idk its just different, in a way that I think it would be fun trying in a minor event. If the experience is good, imagine having 2 majors, the first with current civ rules and the second with conquest rules. Then maybe you could have a match between the 2 winners. Think about the possibilities ^^

Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

I meant free pick like even just using one of those 2-3 civs if you wish so. The aim here would be to limit the civ at your disposal. Very much like the mono civ rule but a bit less.
Image Image Image
Australia henwooda
Crossbow
ESO: henwooda

Post by henwooda »

What if a civ reset after a certian amount og games have gone by? for example, if i were in a 5 match series then maybe after 3 matches, the first civ i used would reset, and so on until the series finishes. THis could be used in the later stages of the tournament for an experience not seen in previous parts of the torunament where poeple might be able to play one civ 3 times. idk if this is good but its just an idea.
wassup fam?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

macacoalbino wrote:Yeah it diminishes players available civs but I think it is interesting in the sense that players have yet another strategical choice to make: bringing 5 civs to beat them all, not to mention the ordering you choose these civs in order to be left with a strong one in the end.
Idk its just different, in a way that I think it would be fun trying in a minor event. If the experience is good, imagine having 2 majors, the first with current civ rules and the second with conquest rules. Then maybe you could have a match between the 2 winners. Think about the possibilities ^^

I think the diversity is created by enabling some new match ups that dont occur often in the old system. The old system focuses heavily on safe civs and safr match ups because of the first/counterpick system. Youre looking to learn how to beat germany/france/india/brits or whatever the safe civs are. With conquest I think new match ups will come forward. Civs like Japan might see some more use for example. It also promotes mastery/preparation, as you will know the possible match ups (5 civs vs 5 civs means there are still 25 possible match ups to prepare for). I could see how the mix of the two systems overall provides the most diversity.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

If you think about it, in a BO3 only 2 civs are used most of the time by each player. In conquest rule, each will be forced to play 3 civs. Theres more variety this way. I really think this should be tested honestly

Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

5 civs is still a lot to prepare and prepare against
Image Image Image
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

Then why not reduce 5 to 3?

Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

lemmings121 wrote:I like the traditional rules.

The only option that I find even better is the civ rules of the bo27, where you can play every game with any civ, as long as you havent won any games in the serie with with that civ. So in a bo3 you must win with 2 diferent civs, 3 civs in a bo5, etc...

(cant go the usual main civ win, random civ lose, main civ again win)
macacoalbino wrote:Yeah it diminishes players available civs but I think it is interesting in the sense that players have yet another strategical choice to make: bringing 5 civs to beat them all, not to mention the ordering you choose these civs in order to be left with a strong one in the end.

A combination of this also seems nice. you sign up with 5 civs.
In game1 you can play with any of your 5 civs, if you won game1, you have only 4 left. if you lost, you still have 5 civs in your pool.

In the earlier rounds, this gives flexibility to newer players (while still forcing them to win with 2 diferent civs in a bo3)

And in the later rounds, it forces players to realy know well their 5 civs. (imagine a bo9 where you start with a 4-0 vs someone. You only have one civ left to use to finish off the series)
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

BrookG wrote:Then why not reduce 5 to 3?

Ye it sohuld be 2-3 but you don't have to win a game with each of them.
Image Image Image
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

Garja wrote:
BrookG wrote:Then why not reduce 5 to 3?

Ye it sohuld be 2-3 but you don't have to win a game with each of them.

And then they can play with whichever civ, or with the old rules

Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon
ESO: WS6AR

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

I love the blind pick rule. First match out of the gate both blind picks then winner picks first. As far as reusing civs I think after the half way point reseting is fine. Or maybe a handicap where if the low man is down 2 then he gets a reset. Then the high man gets a rest if he loses that match.