Esoc Patch v5 balance poll

New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Re: Esoc Patch v5 balance poll

Post by zoom »

Garja wrote:No we shouldnt as current results are not indicative of real power of civs. And in general it's stupid to make balance decisions prior to tourneys based on poll when a reasonable number of voters could just troll the results.
They cannot. Goodspeed checks for that.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Garja wrote:India is indeed strong and probably is the top civ because of the number of MUs they potentially win.
But on what exactly is the India nerf claim based? :hmm:
Also what would you nerf? +20w houses again? :uglylol:
That seems one sensible option.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

ChewSick wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:I think the weekend tours already showed that india is a strong civ though

yes. That's also a good side-effect of those minor tournaments, to actually see what changes need to be done for a major tournament, but apparently we still do "testing" in autumn tournament

Testing will never stop until we have a final version of EP.. How can we stop testing during a tournament? :huh:
Switzerland ChewSick
Dragoon
ESO: chusik

Post by ChewSick »

edeholland wrote:
ChewSick wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:I think the weekend tours already showed that india is a strong civ though

yes. That's also a good side-effect of those minor tournaments, to actually see what changes need to be done for a major tournament, but apparently we still do "testing" in autumn tournament

Testing will never stop until we have a final version of EP.. How can we stop testing during a tournament? :huh:

that's not what i'm saying. there have been many minor tournaments that should have been used for a balance change before autumn tournament
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

zoom wrote:
Garja wrote:India is indeed strong and probably is the top civ because of the number of MUs they potentially win.

Indeed. That would make India a net -10hp on sepoy from RE patch. I'm not too sure that means balance. But more importantly I'm not sure if people who vote have a fuckin clue then because when India was buffed everyone was saying it was slow and weak.
Maybe, but just maybe, we should stop ignoring polls and just give time to people to actually play the game and learn what's strong and what's not.
Image Image Image
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

Tbh I think balance should be weighed by tourney performance in the latest rounds. But a poll is useful to estimulate discussion and gives us points of attention to observe in the real games. Good job!

India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

ahaha I stop playing ep games with india and people's opinion on india's strength sudenly goes way up. Tells you just how bad I am at the game!
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

ChewSick wrote:
edeholland wrote:
Show hidden quotes

that's not what i'm saying. there have been many minor tournaments that should have been used for a balance change before autumn tournament
They were used to shape opinion on the state of balance. We shouldn't make changes as soon as we think something is slightly too strong. The patch will go all over the place then, and we will be making a lot of wrong decisions based on the latest change in the meta.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Goodspeed wrote:They were used to shape opinion on the state of balance. We shouldn't make changes as soon as we think something is slightly too strong. The patch will go all over the place then, and we will be making a lot of wrong decisions based on the latest change of mood.

fixed
Image Image Image
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I guess, in this context, meta is just another word for mood.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Garja wrote:
zoom wrote:

Indeed. That would make India a net -10hp on sepoy from RE patch. I'm not too sure that means balance. But more importantly I'm not sure if people who vote have a fuckin clue then because when India was buffed everyone was saying it was slow and weak.
Maybe, but just maybe, we should stop ignoring polls and just give time to people to actually play the game and learn what's strong and what's not.
Exactly. The fewer changes with better balance the better. We should definitely stop ignoring polls. It's important to keep in mind their limitations and remain critical, though.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

zoom wrote:
Garja wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Exactly. The fewer changes with better balance the better. We should definitely stop ignoring polls. It's important to keep in mind their limitations and remain critical, though.
Realistically, the only difference will be the point in time at which the nerf is applied. The big benefits of doing it prior to the event are that you'll gather data on results from it, and that the quality of the event will improve.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Are you insisting to bait an answer? Realistically the poll is fairly inaccurate. India is not that much of an outlier. So the nerf is questionable in the first place.
Image Image Image
No Flag almalek
Skirmisher

Post by almalek »

edeholland wrote:
almalek wrote:lol good thread..

What's the issue sir?

this sioux seems underated, france is highly underated, ports overated, spanish underated..
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

How does Japan do against India after the changes? To me that always seemed like a very good MU for Japan
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

i always thought it was a bad MU for jap
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

How does India punish Jap's boom, even now? Sepoy rush is laughable especially now that they get 2-hit by TC, and anything else is too slow. Jap just gets to build 20 shrines and is barely slower to fortress than India.
Or are you staying colonial? How are you beating their units in the long run, then?
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

colonial sepoy rush into sowar gurkha, mix zamb if he nagis
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

all of indias units are hard counters
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

india has no counter to yumi lol. in fact, yumi hard counter sowars!
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Hazza54321 wrote:colonial sepoy rush into sowar gurkha, mix zamb if he nagis
:hmm: I really don't see that working.
One of the last games I played in AoE3 was a tourney game against Lukas where he did that and it didn't do nearly enough damage. I didn't even wall iirc. Maybe he was just slow but still, with walls and a TC 2-hitting sepoy I can't imagine that being your best option.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

It used to work 100% and it still does actually vs most players. Defo it used to be an India favored MU regardless of specific build.
Mitoe send 5ashi and uses jap cons with shinobi. That holds rushes in 80% of cases with perfect defense but it probably loses to more basic stuff like making units and sieging shrines.
Kynesie walls all the map and that's increases Japan chances to win. Still beatable I'd say.
There is however another Jap build idea that I'm testing which might solve the India problem too.
Jap are super underrated. There is no way they're in the last spot. There are simple a number of civs that are currently objectively worse and even traditionally hard MUs should be reconsidered.
Image Image Image
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Kynesie's way (yumi/wall semi ff) should beat India consistently. However, very few players build walls (and with the EP nerf you might need 3-4 layers), so in the end it doesn't really matter.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

Wouldn't CM be even more viable considering the sepoy nerf?
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

What does Cm give you? You still two shot.